• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Judging page quality on new comics

10 posts in this topic

This has probably been discussed before, but if it was I missed it and apologize in advance for the repeat.

I was at the store today and began flipping through a new Conan off the rack and was thinking...How can CGC assign PQ to these new issues that no longer have white page backdrops? I mean this copy should read more like cgc 9.6 with BLACK pages. I began to flip through others and noticed that the white, ow/w, ow, etc. are no longer applicable to these. Perhaps a quality grage of Excellent, Good , Poor, etc. would be more suitable with these. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting point, but I presume CGC will just have to look harder to find some white space in the book to make the judgement.

Given the much higher quality paper being used today, I suspect that PQ going forward will higher for a longer period of time.

This has probably been discussed before, but if it was I missed it and apologize in advance for the repeat.

I was at the store today and began flipping through a new Conan off the rack and was thinking...How can CGC assign PQ to these new issues that no longer have white page backdrops? I mean this copy should read more like cgc 9.6 with BLACK pages. I began to flip through others and noticed that the white, ow/w, ow, etc. are no longer applicable to these. Perhaps a quality grage of Excellent, Good , Poor, etc. would be more suitable with these. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think this topic was one of my first posts on the board . . . revisions to the PQ scale are appropriate, or eliminated entirely, but incorporated in the grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It doesn't really seem that PQ has the same importance than it once did though. Don't get me wrong, who wants a brittle copy, but I don't get asked about page quality as much anymore.

I guess I'm just eccentric. Out of my 102 slabs, 94 are 9.8 or higher with white pages. Unless it's an old SA or GA key I won't settle for less than that quality. I've paid a lot extra for white over ow/w, but that's just me...like I said, I'm eccentric I guess.

It doesn't really seem that PQ has the same importance than it once did though. Don't get me wrong, who wants a brittle copy, but I don't get asked about page quality as much anymore.

Doesn't matter to me at all (unless extreme) if the book is slabbed. Its not like I'm reading it anyway. If I am paying extra for page quality in a slabbed book, it's essentially paying extra for something I don't need.

Doesn't matter to me at all (unless extreme) if the book is slabbed. Its not like I'm reading it anyway. If I am paying extra for page quality in a slabbed book, it's essentially paying extra for something I don't need.

To me the biggest reason for owning a slabbed book is for the investment potential on it. A 9.8 white pager will be a higher value than a 9.8 with OW pages. Now as for my readers, I really don't care as long as the pages are not brittle and I can read them.