• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World East: Planning CGC Forum Get-Together

178 posts in this topic

I know I'm new to the forum, but I will be at Philly as well and would love to meet up with you guys if that's cool with you... Hey, I've been collecting for longer than I'd like to admit!! 893whatthe.gif

Wish I could travel that far but I say to ya, go for it! I bet it will be a blast!

SB PM'd with a clarification. makepoint.gif

CGC will be picking up a "portion" of the tab... not ALL of it by any means.

So please be prepared to cough up some greenbacks flamed.gif

I thought I made this clear, but perhaps not enough so. More specifically, his boss wanted to make sure my mention of "pounding shots" was not something CGC intended to encourage and finance 893whatthe.gif SB intends to remain sober for sure he says, so he's ready for all the tough questions! 27_laughing.gif

cool.gif Idea: We could suggest/lobby Gemstone to buy shots for anyone that has a recepit proving purchase of the new guide??? Whadda' ya say TomG??? Good PR!! Black Sambuca for me!!?? stooges.gif

Yeah, like *that'll* happen. 27_laughing.gif

Just make sure that someone has a Kelly Hu lookalike there for me, but without the metal nails...ouch.

I have an idea or two for my official submission in regards to the "cameo" thing. However, I recently perused the Silver Forum and saw the "First Full Appearance" thread in which you seemed very motivated to eliminate the instances where the term is used inappropriately. I enjoyed the clarifications you made during the well hashed-out exchange on the matter... Kudos. So, I'll buy you a shot!

I do think its a good idea. The argument that language is always evolving has merit and is an interesting angle to explore, especially if you were in a debate competition and had to continue with something, but I agree its better to acknowledge a mistake and correct it, rather than ignore it and have it further become accepted. That's how words like "normalcy" and "irregardless" came to be I think? In that particular thread, and in others, I still see that "non-standard, redundant" non-word being used. I believe it is a "false word" that was inadvertently birthed out of the misuse and tendency to combine "regardless (essentially what irregardless is saying twice?)" and "irrespective" = irregardless. That may be evolution too, but its not exactly right. Is that the origin (or first full appearance) of the term? I'd like an editor's explanation. Interestingly enough, when i did a spell check on this.. "irregardless" was not recognized as a word.

Not that I'm any expert. I'm well aware that my own writing style/ability is very flawed. I run-on constantly and can't get my point across as succinctly as others do...so I ramble unfortunately. 893blahblah.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif (and use leaders "..." when I'm not sure how to properly punctuate or begin and end my thoughts) 893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gif

Thanks for this post by the way. Oh man, do I HATE "irregardless!" I don't care what the "evolving language" types say (and I'm sorry, they're only making excuses for the rampant decay in our ability to read and write in our own language - devolution perhaps), but adding a redundant syllable onto a word that was already fine as it was cannot *possibly* be evolution. It's not making the word more precise or clearer in meaning, it's just stupidity at worst, mild ignorance at best. "Regardless" means "regardless," and "irregardless," despite not being a word, *still* means "regardless" if you use it anyway! Then what's the frickin' point of adding the "ir" on it?

That's just one example but a very good one my friend.

893frustrated.gif

"Regardless" means "regardless," and "irregardless," despite not being a word, *still* means "regardless" if you use it anyway! Then what's the frickin' point of adding the "ir" on it?

I hear irregardless used in conversations, but I don't hear it being used in anything online or in print. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as having to hear some of the stuff coming out of kids mouths these days. I work with kids pretty much all day, and they are the ones who are really pushing the english vocabulary by using words like "fat" (sometimes spelled phat), or "b_tch." The funniest thing I ever saw was at a local university when I saw a pregnant woman beating on a freshmen because she thought he called her "fat"! She kept saying "NO, I'M PREGNANT" while pelting him with her purse. makepoint.gif

rantpost.gif

You guys are after my heart with the disdain of "irregardless". I hate it!!

Another one that kills me every time I hear it (and I hear it constantly) is when people put a modifier on an absolute: specifically, "unique".

Things are unique or they are not unique. You can't qualify/quantify unique with words as in the phrases "very unique", "totally unique", "really unique", etc. If something is unique, it is one of a kind and not more or less unique in quantity. It's like qualifying "infinite". You don't say something is "sort of infinite". It's either infinite or finite, period. Unique or not unique, period.

Argh! makepoint.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gifsumo.gif893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

while all of these things you guys are saying are true.... it's not one of the things I see any big deal over. People talk how they talk... if I can understand them... great. I suppose this is one thing that bothers some people... but I just don't see it.

The English Grammar and Syntax Preservation Society has hereby convened and declared war on jargon and language debilitating influences, like "Ebonics" shocked.gif

Though taken to be elitist in some circles, there is still something to be said for speaking/writing/using the proper English at all times. Lack of education is never an excuse for lack of effort to better oneself, if not maintain said appearance with an affluent vocuablulary.

"irregardless" 893naughty-thumb.gif

UPDATE #4 "Philly Phorum Get-Together"

Saturday Evening

We'll meet Steve Borock and other CGC employees and dealers at the CGC booth and proceed to the restaraunt.

Bruce.......Bronzebruce13.........Yes

Brian........Foolkiller...................Yes

Dan..........FlyingDonut..............Yes

David....... DAM60.....................Yes

Tom..........TomG.......................Yes

Arnold.......Arnoldt......................Yes

Rui............Ariamus....................Yes

Steve........Toychef.....................Yes

Kevin........Kevthemev................Yes

Mike..........CGCFan...................Yes

Jeremy......Buena Vista..............Yes (new forumite)

Gene.........DeLekerste...............Maybe? (now a maybe)

Chris.........Chrisco.......................Maybe?

Sam..........Yertle.........................Maybe?

Carl...........Darth.........................Mega-Maybe? (Only if MOM is OK with L'il Darth)

James..........FF...........................Mega-Maybe? (sell dupes leave the woman home)

Friday Evening

We'll meet at the CGC Booth? and proceed to a restaraunt/bar. Unless a better plan is brought up. Looks like we're probably in Brian's hands now as to local suggestions that are located within stumbling distance. 893whatthe.gif

Bruce.......Bronzebruce13..........Yes

George....Gman.........................Yes

Gene........DeLekerste................Maybe? (now a maybe)

Kevin........Kevthemev................Maybe?

Brian.........Foolkiller...................Maybe????confused.gif

UPDATE #5 "Philly Phorum Get-Together"

Saturday Evening

We'll meet Steve Borock and other CGC employees and dealers at the CGC booth and proceed to the restaraunt.

Bruce.......Bronzebruce13.........Yes

Brian........Foolkiller...................Yes

Dan..........FlyingDonut..............Yes

David....... DAM60.....................Yes

Tom..........TomG.......................Yes

Arnold.......Arnoldt......................Yes

Rui............Ariamus....................Yes

Steve........Toychef.....................Yes

Kevin.........Kevthemev...............Yes

Jeremy......Buena Vista..............Yes

Josh .........ComicLink.................Yes >NEW ADDITION<

Chris.........Chrisco......................Yes >Status Upgrade!< C'mon "Yertle...Yertle"

Sam..........Yertle.........................Maybe? "Yertle...Yertle"

Gene.........DeLekerste................Mega-Maybe? (now a probably not)

Carl...........Darth.........................Mega-Maybe? (Only if MOM is OK with L'il Darth)

James..........FF...........................Mega-Maybe? (sell dupes leave the woman home)

Friday Evening (possible, not definate)

We'll meet at the CGC Booth? and proceed to a restaraunt/bar. We'll review Brian's local suggestions that are located within stumbling distance.

NOTE: Gene and Brian are out for Fri... Anyone else?

Bruce.......Bronzebruce13...........Yes

George....Gman..........................Yes

Mike.........CGCFan.....................Yes

Kevin........Kevthemev................Maybe?

Alright you've got me interested now. I don't know many comic collectors so...I'm trying to find a hotel. I'm doing a preliminary search for hotels in case I can make it and I'm having problems finding a decent hotel with rooms available. Is there something else going on that weekend?

Brian

Friday Night Grudge Match with Bruce as the referee??? confused.gif

Nah...it'll probably be 2 on 1 with gman being the odd man out. Hell, maybe Shuley76 will make an unexpected appearance to liven up the meeting! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Friday Night Grudge Match with Bruce as the referee??? confused.gif

Nah...it'll probably be 2 on 1 with gman being the odd man out. Hell, maybe Shuley76 will make an unexpected appearance to liven up the meeting! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll be there lurking in the shadows......... shy.gif

Nope.. Gman offered to buy drinks all night so no one jumping him 893naughty-thumb.gif

Suh-weeeet! We can jump him AFTER he's bought our drinks & we're all riled up looking for a scrap! Give him new meaning to the word "bump"...... beatup.gif