• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Punisher!

79 posts in this topic

Okay, and of those I would count:

Sylvester Stallone

Jean-Claude VanDamme

Now, really, I would only count Sylvester Stallone as a "real" actor here. Basically what I'm getting at is that the rest of those people on the list S U C K. (With the obvious exception of the fabulous Michael Clarke Duncan who has yet to really prove himself to be an "action" star and thus was disqualified from contention.)

So, if it were up to me and I were making a movie and I had a choice between Hulk Hogan and Harrison Ford for the leading role of a cop who's just PO'd at the world, then I'm going with Harrison for both a believability factor and a sheer talent factor (though Harrison Ford's name could be replaced with anyone this side of Paul Ruebens and that would still be an upgrade over ol' Hulk).

You still want a BIG man? Maybe you could get that guy who played Sabretooth to put his lifts back on again? wink.giftongue.gif

Stallone and Van Damme, and I hate to bust everyone's bubble here...are you ready...ok, here it comes: Stallone and Van Damme are both about 5'9...

5 feet 9 inches. Big guys? It's called filmmaking. It's called movie magic. It's called using a camera to make just about anyone larger than life.

Thomas Jane is BIGGER than Stallone and Van Damme. End of debate smile.gif

Now, let's talk about something more important - how incredible have the X2 reviews been so far? I've never seen the Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety gushing so much over a big budget flick like they have for X2. AWESOME!!!!!!

I've never seen the Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety gushing so much over a big budget flick like they have for X2. AWESOME!!!!!!

yeah..but too bad trade reviews have no bearing on actual results. I cant remember the films, but I recall seeing raves for films that sank like a stone. The trades usually concentrate on technical aspects of the film...a real industry insider viewpoint, right?

...But overall XMen 2 seems to have been very well received so far and looks to have a solid 2 weeks until Matrix comes along.

You are right when you say that the list of credible actors who also happen to be big is a small one ( a bit harsh on 'ol Sly though, he was actually quite good in Cop Land).

But it is not unheard of for a decent actor to get into the gym and bulk up a bit for the right role. You mentioned Nic Cage earlier as an example and there are others like Christopher Reeve and even (cough) Toby McGuire.

The point is though that the pic shown on this thread just does not say 'Punisher' to anyone. The name itself implies some sort of physical intimidation and the guy in the photo even with Uzi in hand, just wouldn't cut it.

....but they tried that route the first time with a huge scary punishing-looking Dolph lundgren. Artisan (probably correctly) must be using that first movie as a blueprint for this film---a blueprint for them to poop on!

but they tried that route the first time with a huge scary punishing-looking Dolph lundgren.

I don't think the casting of DL was the downfall of that movie. The poor -script, low budget and general bad quality of the film played a bigger role IMO.

I agree. I think Dolph was and probably still is a perfect Punisher. I also have faith that Marvel (especially Avi Arad) knows what he's doing with hiring Thomas Jane and that the movie will be fine (but they better dye his hair black!!!).

I don't think the casting of DL was the downfall of that movie. The poor -script, low budget and general bad quality of the film played a bigger role IMO.

That, and the fact that it's still a story that has been done to DEATH. Guy's family gets killed, guy wants revenge. Am I missing anything here? Oh, this guy wears a ridiculous-looking shirt with a skull on it. Woo.

The Punisher is cliche, passe, and...... umm.... crappe? blush.gifwink.gif

5 feet 9 inches. Big guys? It's called filmmaking. It's called movie magic. It's called using a camera to make just about anyone larger than life.

Big is not just about height, especially in movies. You can shoot scenes in a way to make someone look taller(as is done with Stallone and Snipes who are about

5' 7 and 5' 9 respectively) but no clever movie making can add a physique. This fruit may be taller than Stallone, but I'd wager his arms are about the size of the VEINS on Stallone's arm(in his peak).

The average pro BodyBuilder is 5 '9, because unless you're some kind of genetic freak, it's harder to develop a huge physique on a tall frame.. Just try to tell one of those guys that they're "small".

that the ONE cop with the Schwarzeneggerian physique is the one whose family gets killed?

No, but the ONE cop who decides to go out and be a vigilante would train his arse off so that he dosen't get killed on the first night of "Punishin' ". And all that training would inevitably add some serious muscle to his bones. Not necessarily a bodybuilder type physique, but you have to believe that this guy can kick some Arse. And with very few exceptions, guys with 10 inch guns probably woouldn't be able to get the job done.

You don't need to be 290 pounds of solid muscle to pull a trigger, eh?

Punisher does a lot more than just "pull a trigger". He throws guys around as well, which requires muscle does it not?

lets not get too carried away here, AK!

"Act the part" maybe.....but I dont think their agents are fielding too many art film/love story roles based on their action vehicles so far.... Wolverine has made the transition somewhat though....

You guys are killing me! They haven't even finished casting this movie yet, much less started filming. I'm sure this is prelim costume and he's got plenty of time to bulk up. Anyone see the difference between Linda Hamilton before she filmed T2 and what she looked like during filming? How about Will Smith before and during filming Ali? The story has been done to death but that's true of almost everything in Hollywood. This can be a good movie if they have a good -script and decent director. As far as visuals go, there's no way you can bash something that will most likely be radically changed in the final version of the movie that you will see in theaters. Everyone MUST chill and resist those fanboy tendencies tongue.gif

As far as visuals go, there's no way you can bash something that will most likely be radically changed in the final version of the movie that you will see in theaters.

I think most folks here would have preferred Joe Millionaire to this cat..."our" punisher is a fairly large, burly dude with dark hair. Now that I think of it, Joe Millionaire would be perfect!

It is rather funny though that suddenly the comic book market is about to crash due the this silly picture!! wink.gif

Ok - here is how I really see it. This movie will sound the deathknell of the hero-film genre. No other credible superhero film will ever get made after this. That will result in the failure of several large movie chains putting hundreds of pimply face popcorn servers out of work. It will inevitably lead to the end of Marvel and Dc as we know them. That will result in a crash of Biblical proportions on ebay of all cgc book prices. People will be trying to trade their comics for bread and water. Civil unrest and rioting will result when people can't get $100 worth of bread and water for their cgc 9.4 Spidey 14s. It is the end. Let the punishment begin! Have a nice day.

At the end of the day, it's down to the story of the film and the way its put over. This is a film, not a comic. They could do something completely different from any story in the comic but as long as it is good, they hype it up enough from the name they will do well. The Punisher in all is just an average 'joe' (no pun intended) with a grudge, if this guy puts it over, and the story is holding, then I think this could be great!

Of course, more than likely, this will be a Crock OS and the market will burn like in the 90's grin.gif

Exactly...it's like Indiana Jones - who cares if the other guy is 7', 300#+ and can kill flies from 20' with his whip - The Punisher isn't infamous for being a bare-knuckles brawler, now is he?? wink.gif

But yeah, it's more than likely that the Apocalypse will be upon us if this movie isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think I better start stocking up on canned goods...now! frown.gif

I forgot to mention the worst part. Because cgc comics will not be traded for food, the cgc -ites will become zombie-like Wendigo creatures stalking other folks as a new source of food. The streets will run red with blood and gore. Blame it on the Punisher - and Dr. Banner - and cgc comics buyers.

>>Thomas Jane is BIGGER than Stallone and Van Damme. End of debate

It's never been about height, but about width and muscles. The camera can play tricks to make an actor look taller, but other than heavy CGI, nothing builds muscle.