• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just enjoying your comics coll.

34 posts in this topic

confused.gif

The book went from a 9.6 to a 9.0? confused-smiley-013.gif

Note the QP.... gossip.gif

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool cover and all

but wouldn't that be better if it was signed by Ross Andru

- the illustrator that drew everything except the cover?

That does kind of raise the question "since Andru is of late, I guess there would be no

CGC certified signatures of his becuase he passed away before CGC certified signatures?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess i just miss fresh stuff from my fav illustrator...

sorry.gif

One of my favourite all-time Spidey covers.

I suppose you could ask the same question about this book... grin.gif

ACTION419.jpg

No...unless you're living in a bubble, the current evvironment outweighs being able to just enjoy your collection...

I truly hope a time comes where your vision becomes reality...

Jim

I totally disagree, the only way this should be your problem or the problem of a collector is if you are investor first, collector second. From what I read, the point is not to spend all your time chasing, but instead realize what you have already and enjoy it.

bullseye... thumbsup2.gif

the weight an environment has (influence) is the one you accord/allow to it! smirk.gifflowerred.gif

it's up to you to be able to enjoy what you have, instead of buying and "forgetting" to buy again non stop. wink.gif

regards

Yep, that's a bullseye for me, too. I love this hobby as much as I ever have. I often visit my comics at night after work to help ease the stress of the day. And I too have scans of several hundred of my better books that I have as a constant slideshow on my computer at work. I still love going to the comic shop on Wednesdays, or picking up a stack of trades to read. I think the quality of writing in comics is better today than ever before.

I love picking up a nice Golden Age book in any grade, raw or slabbed. I enjoy the friendships that have resulted from comics and these boards.

It's very easy to be cynical. To let a very small part of this hobby bring you down. But it's pointless, and frankly a little sad.

Yeah for comics. yay.gif

One of my favourite all-time Spidey covers.

I suppose you could ask the same question about this book... grin.gif

ACTION419.jpg

Beyonder...tight...very tight...! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I collect MLJ and early Archie stuff Mostly in the vg to fine range with some vf's tossed in so they're very easy to read, but since Shield has them all for sale I usually read from the cd's I have. I will pull my books out once a month or so and go through them to look at the covers.I enjoy reading the DC archives and Archie digest books. I have a box full of gold key Barks which are great to read every few years.

nice replys people

just a couple of questions:

- how often do you "go back" and dig your stack of comics and droll over them?!

- is there a time/period in life (the good ones, the bad ones, ...) that tend to promote that "going to the fanboy roots" trip?!

- does bagging and boarding your comics ends up being one of the best tasks that you have to do?! being "forced" to pick up the comics, looking at them and of course opening and re-reading a little (or all of it)...it's really great (but man it takes an eternity to bag a few dozens of them, 27_laughing.gif) cloud9.gif

regards

ps- one thing that's bugging my mind, is to try to arrange my long boxes in a way that i don't have much trouble picking/opening them...sometimes it can be hard to look for a certain title/issue or story without putting comics everywhere around the house!!! cloud9.gifgrin.gif

any sugestions/advices?!

This is an interesting and, I think, important thread. It cuts to the heart of our hobby.

I collect DC war books, and I have well over a thousand of them. And I have read every single one of them. I like getting sparkly high grades, even have a handful of books slabbed - but it's the appeal of the comics as COMICS (rather than objects) that excites me. Just about every war collector I know loves their books for the reading pleasure than just about anything else.

A friend of mine has a really complete mid grade DC horror collection, and when I saw it I started buying up high grade books from that genre. Truth is, though, I just don't get all that much pleasure reading them. They're really, really nice books... but they'll probably be hitting the market in the next year as a result.

There are about 30 or 40 DC war books that I couldn't live without. In addition to my sharpies, I keep lower grade readers of those around for whenever I need a fix.

Shep

You know, I just got a copy of Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex. I have enjoyed reading those stories. So, I think I will start picking up a few decent copies of Weird Western Tales and All-Star Western. I have just started picking up Bronze Age DC Horror books. I remember reading those in the ole barber shop waiting to get a haircut. I enjoy those stories from time to time. Sadly, I read only Archives of my GA stuff. Can't make me crack open the slabs for those. Good thing I have a few raw books. grin.gif

- does bagging and boarding your comics ends up being one of the best tasks that you have to do?! being "forced" to pick up the comics, looking at them and of course opening and re-reading a little (or all of it)...it's really great (but man it takes an eternity to bag a few dozens of them, 27_laughing.gif) cloud9.gif

Yes, I love rebagging and regrading my raw collection. It's a real treat when I do this.

Yes, I love rebagging and regrading my raw collection. It's a real treat when I do this.

Always loved rebagging my collection. thumbsup2.gif

I've really enjoyed upgrading some of my favourite books to Mylars... cloud9.gif

Always loved rebagging my collection. thumbsup2.gif

I've really enjoyed upgrading some of my favourite books to Mylars... cloud9.gif

fellas, is it possible for a comics fan to bag (or rebag) a comic without spending some time looking/reading the comic, 27_laughing.gif?!

my wife usually tells me when i say i'm going to bag/board comics "...are you going to try to break your record of baging one comic per hour..."? grin.gif27_laughing.gif

i'm also in the process of scanning/grading my silver and bronze coll., which will be my long therm project too...it's really nice to have on your pc scans of your personal comics/copies, so you know exactly their flaws and QP level. it helps to have a more real image of what you own...

perfect for winter and/or rainy days and here in paris is what you get most of the time.

regards

No...unless you're living in a bubble, the current evvironment outweighs being able to just enjoy your collection...

I truly hope a time comes where your vision becomes reality...

Jim

I totally disagree, the only way this should be your problem or the problem of a collector is if you are investor first, collector second. From what I read, the point is not to spend all your time chasing, but instead realize what you have already and enjoy it.

bullseye... thumbsup2.gif

the weight an environment has (influence) is the one you accord/allow to it! smirk.gifflowerred.gif

it's up to you to be able to enjoy what you have, instead of buying and "forgetting" to buy again non stop. wink.gif

regards

Yep, that's a bullseye for me, too. I love this hobby as much as I ever have. I often visit my comics at night after work to help ease the stress of the day. And I too have scans of several hundred of my better books that I have as a constant slideshow on my computer at work. I still love going to the comic shop on Wednesdays, or picking up a stack of trades to read. I think the quality of writing in comics is better today than ever before.

I love picking up a nice Golden Age book in any grade, raw or slabbed. I enjoy the friendships that have resulted from comics and these boards.

It's very easy to be cynical. To let a very small part of this hobby bring you down. But it's pointless, and frankly a little sad.

Yeah for comics. yay.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

i'm also in the process of scanning/grading my silver and bronze coll., which will be my long therm project too...it's really nice to have on your pc scans of your personal comics/copies, so you know exactly their flaws and QP level. it helps to have a more real image of what you own...

perfect for winter and/or rainy days and here in paris is what you get most of the time.

regards

This is absolutely the same thing I enjoy doing. I've slowly been archiving my collection in mylars and inserting interleaving sheets. The process involves scanning the books into a digital archive. I keep a copy of my digital scans at work and I've updated my website to allow me to browse the archive. This helps keep things fresh for me. My coworkers will wander in once in a while and see me perusing my collection online. This results in some fun discussions as many of them are former comic-geeks. Sometimes they'll relate a particular story they recall from childhood and once in a while I actually own the issue they are talking about and can show it to them online. Makes it fun.

I also enjoy reading comic books. I like to buy anthologies just for the sake of reading them. It also gives the kids a 'safe' set of comic stories to read.