• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FYI Regarding Jan. 11 Releases

9 posts in this topic

I just got word from my LCS back in OK, whom I still get all my moderns from, that Diamond screwed up some of the shipping, and stores located in KS, OK, MO, and AR (at least, possibly more states) will be receiving their books late.

what else is new...I am sure there will be a snow storm in California this week also for UPS...sorry...

I hate walking into the shop and have to hear that the books are delayed because a truck broke down, or bad weather (when you know there isnt)...

vent over

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=b87f67f84768d9fb82fc080a6ef1040c&threadid=55342

DUDE, WHERE ARE MY COMICS?

NEW COMICS DELAYED FOR MIDWEST, 01.11.06

For roughly 200 retailers across the Midwest (as well as their customers looking for their weekly fix), there was no joy in the comic shops yesterday.

For the third out of four weeks, new comics did not arrive as scheduled, due to shipping problems. Comics are scheduled to reach stores today.

Retailers were notified of the problem Tuesday in an e-mail from Diamond which read:

Diamond customers serviced by the Memphis Distribution Center who receive their shipments via TWO-DAY UPS should be aware that, due to a carrier truck breaking down, this week's shipment will arrive on THURSDAY, JANUARY 12, instead of Wednesday. Diamond apologizes for any inconvenience this error may cause.

Also, Diamond recognizes that this is third time in recent weeks in which shipments have been delayed. While this is unfortunate, Memphis has a history of on-time delivery, and we are committed to ensuring that shipments arrive on time going forward.

Retailers with further questions about this announcement should contact their Customer Service Representative.

Following the flow of comics, after being printed at Quebecor in Montreal, comics are shipped to Diamond’s Plattsburgh, NY warehouse. From there, shipments leave on Monday morning, headed to Diamond’s Memphis, Tennessee warehouse, where it is picked up by UPS at a scheduled time.

“The truck broke down,” said Diamond’s Roger Fletcher, explaining what happened this week. “Everything was pulled and packed in Plattsburgh, but on the way to Memphis, the truck broke down – I believe it was something with the fuel injector.”

The news didn’t sit well with retailers throughout the Midwest who are serviced by the Memphis warehouse. Of a handful of retailers contacted by Newsarama about the missed ship, frustration ruled, and a financial hit for the week was expected. The change in income, retailers explained, was due in part to some stores having extra staff on Wednesdays to process the new book shipment, as well as customers having to make a return trip to their shop – the third time such a trip has been needed in the past four weeks.

Fletcher, who indicated Diamond had been hearing from upset retailers all week about the missed shipment, said that the distributor was as frustrated as the retailers, given that Memphis has had years of on-time delivery, but, as said, in the last four weeks, has seen three problems.

“We’re talking to the trucking company, and have expressed our concerns to them, and hope to have something worked out quickly in regards to making sure the shipments reach Memphis on time,” Fletcher said.

As stated earlier, new books are due in stores today.