• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Art to Harbinger 0

14 posts in this topic

I figured that cover would sell for a lot. It's a nice cover by two great artists and it's the ultimate grail for a Valiant collector.

It is certainly a nice cover, but I can think of at least a half dozen other pre-unity valiant covers (including a couple by BWS) that were more important to the Valiant Universe and its collectors than this one. Not that there is anything wrong with the #0 cover, but I don't know if I agree that it is the "ultimate grail" for a valiant collector. As one of those myself, it doesn't crack my top ten. sleeping.gif

Magnus #1 for example would be far ahead of this one. The 1st Valiant cover and perhaps the most iconic.

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

I figured that cover would sell for a lot. It's a nice cover by two great artists and it's the ultimate grail for a Valiant collector.

It is certainly a nice cover, but I can think of at least a half dozen other pre-unity valiant covers (including a couple by BWS) that were more important to the Valiant Universe and its collectors than this one. Not that there is anything wrong with the #0 cover, but I don't know if I agree that it is the "ultimate grail" for a valiant collector. As one of those myself, it doesn't crack my top ten. sleeping.gif

Magnus #1 for example would be far ahead of this one. The 1st Valiant cover and perhaps the most iconic.

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

I'd consider quite of few of the Magnus covers and even a couple of the Solar/X-O covers better than the Harby #0. It is a great piece though.

Yeah, I was wrong when I said it was the ultimate grail for Valiant collectors. But, I'm sure it's up there.

I believe Jim Shooter still has the cover art to Harbinger 1 and several others. I've spoken to the guy who has the cover art to Rai 3 via phone. He wanted to sell it to me several years ago for way more money than I could come up with at the time. He also had Rai 1, 2 and 4 and some other Valiant covers, like Secret Weapons 1. But, he wanted more for Secret Weapons 1 than he did for Rai 3. Man, I should've bought that Rai 3 cover... seems cheap now...

Yeah, I was wrong when I said it was the ultimate grail for Valiant collectors. But, I'm sure it's up there.

I believe Jim Shooter still has the cover art to Harbinger 1 and several others. I've spoken to the guy who has the cover art to Rai 3 via phone. He wanted to sell it to me several years ago for way more money than I could come up with at the time. He also had Rai 1, 2 and 4 and some other Valiant covers, like Secret Weapons 1. But, he wanted more for Secret Weapons 1 than he did for Rai 3. Man, I should've bought that Rai 3 cover... seems cheap now...

I picked up the cover to Secret Weapons #1 last year from a guy in Chicago.I don't know if he's the same guy,but he didn't have any of the Rai covers then.Maybe he was holding out!

21TDIOSE.JPG

Inks are safe for Valiant, but for color covers, beware of the

official "reproductions" that were needed to create the

trading card sets in 1993-94.

Both types of colors are hand-painted and appear to be the original cover colors,

but one is truly original, and the other was created a year or so afterwards.

It's interesting to me how Valiant collectors have formed a separate and somewhat strong market for color guides. Most publishers' guides go for next to nothing (see the post where I picked up the entire first issue of Y the Last Man's for $180 - under $5 each).

Didn't the color guide for Magnus 0 sell for $800 or am I remembering incorrectly?