• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone please explain why someone puts a $5 bid on a $300 book?

66 posts in this topic

My mom does this. She says, "I don't think I like eBay. I get outbid on everything I bid on." She's always bragging that she's bidding on a $300 item, "and it's only at $25!". She doesn't understand the concept that with 5 days left (or even 5 hours left), the current high bid, in no way, reflects the actual value or final bid. Very often, you can find a steal on eBay, but there are so many bidders now, most items will achieve fair market value.

In most cases I think these bidders are simply watching the auction by bidding a paltry sum on it as auctions you have bid on can be tracked differently than auctions you are simply watching.

To those that think they can buy a 300 dollar book with a simple 5 dollar bid on books of no reserve they will find that almost all sellers will claim "improper listing"

and close the auction without having to sell the item. I have had many sellers close auctions out claiming an error in listing many times so they wont have to sell their precious item cheaply.

Works both ways as you see.

Artboy99

In most cases I think these bidders are simply watching the auction by bidding a paltry sum on it as auctions you have bid on can be tracked differently than auctions you are simply watching.

To those that think they can buy a 300 dollar book with a simple 5 dollar bid on books of no reserve they will find that almost all sellers will claim "improper listing"

and close the auction without having to sell the item. I have had many sellers close auctions out claiming an error in listing many times so they wont have to sell their precious item cheaply.

Works both ways as you see.

Artboy99

True but they have to close it before 12 hours are up or its to late to yank auction right?