• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniping works: Yee haw

41 posts in this topic

You mean "JustDeals"?

Sounds like you're a real advocate for them, but if I subscribe I'm not going to mysteriously starting sniping Byrne X-men, Marvel Team-ups, and Charltons, am I!?!? wink.gif

Probably not, and I'm pro-Auction Magic because the software is excellent, their support is super and updates are fast and free. For $12.95, you can't go wrong.

No hidden tricks, no kickbacks, no lotteries, just a real steal of a deal that I thought I'd pass around.

Er, not quite ...

Nice. Blow someone's bubble and make try to make them look foolish for what? A few seconds? Pah! tongue.gif

On a serious note - I use that technique you outlined but I usually have 3 windows going, (2 for bidding and one for viewing) and sometimes 4 (a 3rd bidding window) just in case I need another last-second bid. The bidding ones are seeded with my bids, naturally.

Also, I have the windows all onscreen at once in reduced size. You only need to see the current price area (and the area displayed will stick when you refresh) and your place a bid area.

My best time has been one second +some fractions before the auction ended. Usually I can snipe if my prices are enough but I never exceed what my brain says I should. I lost that "heat of the auction" feeling a long time ago. grin.gif

From a seller's perspective.. you have to like snipers because two snipers can instantly shoot the price upwards based on their pre-programmed max limits.

From a buyer's perspective, I have to say that the software programs for sniping are much more effective than sitting there waiting to snipe by hand. If you gauge your Internet connection speed (Broadband DSL or Cable modem is a must.), your computer speed, and set a reasonable max bid, you should be able to win most of your snipes with less than 3-5 seconds to go. This isn't possible to beat by someone sitting at the computer and refreshing the screen every second unless they have a high proxy bid to begin with.

You should also make sure that your computer doesn't go into power saving mode though because that could take a few precious seconds off the accuracy of your snipe. (The sniping software should synchronize the computer time to match EBay's time but you should also run some time tests to see how accurate your sniping time is so that you can adjust the time factor accordingly.)

Then, it just becomes a matter of setting the max bid high enough to win the auction.

Just one question: What happens if you have many people using this program on the same item at the same time ?

If you mean Auction Magic, nothing. It's a local program like Word or Excel and simply hits EBay with a bid request, much like you would manually through IE.

The EBay servers are the potential issue, and that can happen from many types of traffic.

Just wondering regarding the synchronization of time issue. What happens if the time on your computer goes of the fritz sometimes and is slower by a few minutes? Am I screwed? confused.gif

Just wondering regarding the synchronization of time issue. What happens if the time on your computer goes of the fritz sometimes and is slower by a few minutes? Am I screwed? confused.gif

Maybe, maybe not. Auction Magic automatically synchs your system time to the EBay time (at a user set interval) but if you're PC is crapping out regularly, you may have snipes that don't engage.

The computer's fine but the time is sometimes slow but not always. Oh well, if it syncronizes to eBay's time, it should be OK.

I don't know about the program CI uses, but Isnipe syncs its self with Ebay as often as you tell it to (default is every 24 hrs.) from every 60 seconds to once a week. I have it sync every 8 hrs. If your computer is loosing time then you need to spend the five dollars to replace your CMOS battery.

If you've got any questions, feel free to post 'em here. I mostly use Snipe.... grin.gif

Is there software to snipe BINS that first appear on ebay. Say I'm looking to buy a Strange Tales #135 in 9.4 and one finally lists on ebay with a BIN of $500.00.

I've set this new software to engage the BIN if it's $700.00 or lower.

Something like this on the market??

I can't afford the $5! grin.gif

Yeah like you know what a CMOS battery is... 893frustrated.gifgrin.gif

Don't need to know because I can't afford it! 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif