• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubbagump in the hospital for bypass surgery...

41 posts in this topic

Posting this in Comics General rather than the Water Cooler because I don't think he's ever posted upstairs...

A long-time friend, former employee, and sometime business partner of mine, board member "Bubbagump" is in the hospital getting ready for bypass surgery on Wednesday. Rick had some warning signs a few months back (chest pain and tingling in his left arm), went to the hospital, and was released when nothing showed up on the EKG. A couple weeks ago, he woke up in the middle of the night with symptoms again, and again nothing showed on the EKG. They scheduled a CT scan after that episode, and the results suggested he should make an appt for them to take a look around this morning.

I just got off the phone with his wife, and after this morning's procedure, they have scheduled him for bypass surgery on Wednesday. She indicated there were multiple blockages, some more severe than others. She promised to call me again when they know more. Rick is only in his late 30s and has an excellent chance to come through this just fine. Rick and I were set up at a show on Saturday and I know he was a little anxious about what they were going to find, but was in good spirits.

I will update when I know more.

The fact that Rick paid attention to the warning signs and kept his doctors informed has given him an excellent chance at a smooth recovery. I know I am not alone in saying he will be in my thoughts and prayers this week, as will his wife and two sons.

Lighthouse

kind of scary that nothing showed up on not one, but two EKGs...

Best wishes to your buddy, and I'm hoping for a quick and complete recovery

EKG's are bullsheet. They make pretty patterns on paper but are inadequate for detecting blockages and more serious forms of heart disease. That's why I ordered myself up a nuclear stress test last year. It's a whole lot more comprehensive, but don't wait for your GP to suggest it to you.

I wish Bubba G. a speedy recovery!

Red

Almost forgot...

The second time he had the EKG they also did a stress test... and there was still nothing... Thanks for reminding me about that.

Rick and I spent about 20 minutes comparing stress test horror stories. I had one back in 2002 and was on the treadmill for 33 minutes, eventually at 5:15 mile pace with a 7% incline and never did get to the "target" heart rate they wanted me to get to. Rick said his took at least 20 minutes and showed nothing... foreheadslap.gif

I'm just glad they followed up with the CT (and glad his insurance was good enough that they could justify the cost).

Good information. Were these the kind of stress tests where they injected you with a tracer dye?

Red

Mine wasn't... Mine was one of those sonogram-then treadmill-then sonogram deals... but no dye. Most aggravating part was the "hold your breath for 5 seconds after you just ran for 30 minutes straight" part. Hadn't had a drop of water for 12 hours before the test. I told the cardiologist that if I didn't drop dead right there my heart must be okay for daily activity. No days in hell I would ever run 30 minutes straight, all uphill, at ever-increasing speed and incline, without drinking a drop of water for 12 hours... foreheadslap.gif

Unless I was carrying a stack of 9.6 DC 100 pagers and was being chased by a naked greggy... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Yeah, mine was the two parter also, but with the dye before the run on the treadmill.....then the sonogram. Came back, I think it was the next day for another sonogram. Got a clean bill of health on that. But I don't take it as having my ticket punched for immortality.

I hope all goes well. My brother, who has suffered from Juvenile Diabetes from the age of 12, had 5 bypasses in July. He seems to be doing well but this is indeed a complicated surgery. So, lets hope Bubbagump recovers quickly.

I hope all goes well. My brother, who has suffered from Juvenile Diabetes from the age of 12, had 5 bypasses in July. He seems to be doing well but this is indeed a complicated surgery. So, lets hope Bubbagump recovers quickly.

Did you really have to explain why you posted?

Yes, actually. I am bringing attention to the fact that this is some serious 893censored-thumb.gif . Heck, makes me want to get off my butt and go jogging. I didn't want to get religious but this is an instance that prayers are needed. Now, go troll for tripe somewhere else!!!

Yes, actually. I am bringing attention to the fact that this is some serious 893censored-thumb.gif . Heck, makes me want to get off my butt and go jogging. I didn't want to get religious but this is an instance that prayers are needed. Now, go troll for tripe somewhere else!!!

27_laughing.gif you get off your butt. 27_laughing.gif

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Rick...

He's in good spirits, though a little shaken. The original CT scan only showed one blockage, at 70%. Today's procedure showed at least three separate blockages, with one at 90%. So he is on for at least a triple, and likely a quadruple bypass on Wednesday. His doctors said there is little to no damage to the heart at this point, the muscle tissue is in great shape.

I will be dropping by to see him tomorrow and will pass along the well-wishes received so far.

'House

Good to hear he's doing fine. Tell um to take care of himself. Bypass surgery is no fun. A friend of mine went through it several times already. Last time they told him they couldn't do the surgery again. He's a bit stuborn when it comes to health.

When I had my heart attack couple years back. I had three arteries blocked to my heart. One was 100%, another 90%, and the other 75% blockage. Doctors told me I'd been dead if I wasn't in such good health otherwise. If I was over weight I'd a been dead for sure. When the doctor was working on me during my heart attack I watched the whole procedure on a TV screen. There I was laying there watching them work on my heart. Its just amazing what they can do now. They openned up two arteries with those STENTS. Had to stop because of my weaken condition. And a couple months later had the other artery openned up using one of those stents. Since then I've had the stress test done where they inject you with a die that shows up on x-ray. You lay on a table perfectly still while the machine goes around you. Takes about 15 minutes. Then ya run on a treadmill while you have all these wires and a I.V. on ya. After ya run they x-ray you again. The whole process takes about a hour. No fun. But the doctors say its the only way to find anything that may be blocked in you. Too bad you can't just go to a hospital and have this procedure done at any time. Insurance only covers it after something bad happens to ya. Pretty expensive procedure too. I seen the bill and was glad it was covered. Just having the heart attack cost around $70,000 in bills. Again good thing I have a HMO. Take care of yourselves. Stay healthy.

How old is your brother?

How old is your brother?

Let's see, 41.

I wish Bubbagump a quick return to health.

I know it's a big ordeal as my father went through a quadruple 3 years ago at the age of 73. He didn't have a heart attack, but was weak and dizzy with pain in his left arm. He went in to see his doctor, and then was admitted to the emergency room when his doctor wasn't available. The rest is history as he went into surgury the next morning.

He was 100% blocked in 3 arteries and 90% in the 4th. The only reason he was alive was collateral blood flow of other areas. I don't even understand it that well, but basically he was strong as a horse prior to the surgury. They were able to use the artery from his forearm instead of a vein from his leg. Arteries replacement is thought to last around 20 years and veins around 10 years due to the thickness. Most elderly bypass patients are required to use veins as they are not strong enough for the other. The worst part about the surgury was that he had a biopsy afterwards and caught an e coli infection that darn near killed him. Ulcers and gallbladder infection followed. Again, my father is a strong willed and spirited man and he survived after going down from about 185 lbs to 145 lbs within 4 weeks. He is now back up to 175 lbs and doing fine. Not the spry 70+ year old father that I rode motorcycles with the summer before, but good enough to enjoy life, travel and family.

With Bubbagump being "so young", he should get through this with flying colors. Just make sure whoever is watching over him makes sure he does everything he is told, and rehabilitation is the key with lots of monitored exercise. My parents both work out at the hospital 3-4 days a week now.

Best wishes to a quick recovery.