• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM new HOS 92...

25 posts in this topic

Here it is. The seller had it at a VG/F because of a slight bend in the lower right corner that took me about 10 seconds to straighten out. Here is the auction. I would consider this my best buy of the last year. Just a stunner in-hand. Very happy right now!!! cloud9.gif

Pages are OW/W to W too!

HOS92.jpg

hos92bk2.jpg

You totally suck if you bought that book for VG/F money. The stresses on that that book are pretty mild when you consider how badly the purple and black ink make them stand out. I can see where on the back the lower left hand corner took the bend. Nice front upper right hand corner. I am going to say this one falls in the 6.5-7.0 range, leaning towards 7.0

Scott

Curious why people are giving this 7.0s. Besides the spine stress and a few tiny light scratches on the right edge, it's a great looking book. Is it because of the bend that is no longer there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you read your OSGG, this book looks BETTER than the examples given for 8.0s. Those have more stress, tiny chips, or light corner creases. confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like a very sharp FN/VF 893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy,

It's a great looking copy, congrats - I've had a few copies and I'm always on the lookout for one. I think the spine creasing, although not harsh, is what keeps the consensus down. The edges are very sharp, but the creasing (bending) along the spine appears almost . . . three-dimensional in your scan 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

7.5 gossip.gif8.0 if I was sellin' . . . 27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif

Curious why people are giving this 7.0s. Besides the spine stress and a few tiny light scratches on the right edge, it's a great looking book. Is it because of the bend that is no longer there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you read your OSGG, this book looks BETTER than the examples given for 8.0s. Those have more stress, tiny chips, or light corner creases. confused-smiley-013.gif

wow, great price and very very nice comic!!!

7.0?! 27_laughing.gif

no way...it's a solid 8.0 (fact it looks much better than most 8.0).

congrats...

regards

Andy,

It's a great looking copy, congrats - I've had a few copies and I'm always on the lookout for one. I think the spine creasing, although not harsh, is what keeps the consensus down. The edges are very sharp, but the creasing (bending) along the spine appears almost . . . three-dimensional in your scan 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

I can see what you mean. The spine stresses at the top do appear slightly 3D in the scan. This book looks so much better in-hand it's ridiculous. Through the Mylar it appears to be a 9.0. In person I can't see anyone giving it less than a VF.

WOW! I think a lot of people are too harsh on books like this with dark covers..IMO that is easily an 8.0...congratulations! hail.gif

What I find mind-boggling is that somebody...ON EBAY...graded that a VG/FN!!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

That is one of the best buys I've seen somebody get on eBay...probably second only to this guy over on the eBay comics board that bought an FF#1 with a postage-stamp sized scan from a zero feedback seller, and ended up with a solid Good to Very Good copy for around $300!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Sometimes it pays to roll the dice... thumbsup2.gif

I will tell you this. HOS 92 is an easy one to go too hard on. (Yeah, I know that sounded bad!) The artwork on it makes it look like it has a significant amount of color flecking giving the false impression of poor condition. I has color breaking creases on the spine but not all that many(9 total). It has rounded corners and the back is more OW to cream. The reality is this issue is very difficult to find with a pearly white back. The large non-color breaking crease is a temporary issue at best. So, what would it grade without that crease. About a 9.0 in my opinion. I deducted 1 point for the NCBC. This is solidly a 8.0 and perhaps one of the better 8.0's you will find. There's my 2 cents.

Andy,

stooges.gif

I can see what you mean. The spine stresses at the top do appear slightly 3D in the scan. This book looks so much better in-hand it's ridiculous. Through the Mylar it appears to be a 9.0. In person I can't see anyone giving it less than a VF.

The reasons I graded it a little harsher than normal are:

1 Its a DC

2 CGC grades have been extremely tough lately

With that being said, I still think it falls just under the 8.0 grade poke2.gif