• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wimbledon Green

11 posts in this topic

I'm only about half way through - but Seth's satire of big money comic collecting is fantastic - far more readable than the last few years of his Palookaville. No collector should be without a copy.

1069555-wimbledongreen.jpg

1069555-wimbledongreen.jpg.458741256bcabebe635a5e00f66caa07.jpg

Man, I LOVE this book. I think everyone who collects old comics will get a kick out of it. Tons of little inside jokes and nods to things like the Church collection and Chuck R and all that. Great stuff.

I thought the ending was weak, but the rest of the book is a hoot.

Highly recommended!

I'm very much enjoying Wimbledon Green too. It's kind of hard to do it justice by describing it, but my feeling is that if anyone here flipped through a copy & read a few pages they would definitely want one. It's a lighthearted & witty look at vintage comic collecting, and as bobpfef mentions there are some "in-jokes" that people here will appreciate, but there are some very poignant moments too. I highly recommend as well. thumbsup2.gif

Hmm, not a great day at the comic shop. The Wimbledon Green copies were all shrinkwrapped so I couldn't check it out. They were shorted on Conan #24 so I can't get that until later. Plus the Sgt. Rock had at least three variant covers. I find that incredibly annoying. It's not bad enough that I feel compelled to have them all, but I dislike having to make a choice. I guess I should be happy to see so many great Kubert covers. I also have to say that to me issue #1 was great. Art job of the year and good story. I like the dialogue more than Azzarello's Rock from last year.

Marc