• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resto Check

15 posts in this topic

I was looking at an area that appears to be color fleck with CT. It could be CT there or it could be the bag or slab scuffed. Hard to say. It is awfully wrinkled over such a small area. If it is slabbed you would practically have to break it out to look at the backside of the cover. So, I am would say its up in the air, at least.

I was looking at an area that appears to be color fleck with CT. It could be CT there or it could be the bag or slab scuffed. Hard to say. It is awfully wrinkled over such a small area. If it is slabbed you would practically have to break it out to look at the backside of the cover. So, I am would say its up in the air, at least.

I don't think it's up in the air at all. Yeah, if the book weren't already identified as restored we could give it the benefit of the doubt, but even then I'd be dubious. Since we're just trying to spot restoration that we know to be there I'm pretty confident that we're seeing some corner creases (a very common defect) covered up and not some pencil thin scuffs that just happen to run across the corner in such a way as to look like corner creases (an improbable set of defects, I'd think.)

if the book weren't already identified as restored we could give it the benefit of the doubt,

Oops... I missed this point in Brent's first post. blush.gif I thought he suspected resto in a slab that was not already PLOD.

Then there is no doubt that's what we are looking at.

There are creases in that area and there was no white showing thru so I was curious. Also, there's what looks to be a slightly different color black on the creases but I wasn't sure if that was my eyes playing tricks on me. Really hard to tell in the holder.

There are creases in that area and there was no white showing thru so I was curious. Also, there's what looks to be a slightly different color black on the creases but I wasn't sure if that was my eyes playing tricks on me. Really hard to tell in the holder.

It looks as if it may be a "dust color touch."

Very fine creases can be colored in by gently rubbing a fine black powder over the creases. I suspect that pencil shavings or some sort of powdery makeup is used. (ebay seller SAMCO burned me with a few books that were color touched using this method.)

It works fairly well because the powder only sticks to the fine line where there is a break and there is no bleedthrough. The giveaway is the slight difference in reflectivity and some of the powder may rub off if you gently rub the suspect area with your finger.

Very fine creases can be colored in by gently rubbing a fine black powder over the creases. I suspect that pencil shavings or some sort of powdery makeup is used. (ebay seller SAMCO burned me with a few books that were color touched using this method.)

It works fairly well because the powder only sticks to the fine line where there is a break and there is no bleedthrough. The giveaway is the slight difference in reflectivity and some of the powder may rub off if you gently rub the suspect area with your finger.

Interesting Zip, good point blush.gif

I hadn't heard of that method. Interesting.

I'm still not 100% convinced the CT is there.

You try the old "black light in a dark room" trick?

Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. confused-smiley-013.gif

You try the old "black light in a dark room" trick?

Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure that would work thru the holder, but I could try.

Other than rubbing the area, is there another way to check for this?