• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star Superman #2 Praise Thread....

44 posts in this topic

looks like a bunch of read the same books:

I read IC #4, then AS #2, then Planetary #24, and finally GL #7 -- all were very good reads, no disappointments.

And those were the only books I bought... no Marvels. Since I'm only buying New Avengers, Cap and Astonishing X-Men (when it's out) I guess there's a very limited group of books I would buy from Marvel anyway.

looks like a bunch of read the same books:

I read IC #4, then AS #2, then Planetary #24, and finally GL #7 -- all were very good reads, no disappointments.

And those were the only books I bought... no Marvels. Since I'm only buying New Avengers, Cap and Astonishing X-Men (when it's out) I guess there's a very limited group of books I would buy from Marvel anyway.

my order:

Planetary 24, then AS(S) 2, GL 7 and finally IC 4.

For me:

Infinite Crisis 4 - Planetary 24 - Green Lantern 7 - All Star Superman 2

In between Planetary and GL I read Action Comics, Birds of Prey and JSA Classified. Nothing spectacular in any of those, JSA Classified was a bit of a let-down.

they all look like they are there to me...

as far as [embarrassing lack of self control] #2, I thought it was a huge letdown from issue one. Basically a super extended version of the willy wonka lab with nothing at all happening.

Nothing Happeining?????

How about the premise of an unlimited number of future Supermen(for only a day at a time). Or the Unknown Superman being the possible offspring of Clark and Lois or even how about a cover that was actually relevent to the insides of the book. cloud9.gif

My order went:

AS Supes, Planetary, IC #4, Fables

Also, caught up on last week's Bullets. No Marvel for me either.

Actually, I didn't read GL #7. Just flipped and noticed that "Superman's B-day present" from the Moore story was in GL.

Actually, I will give you guys the last 4 books on my list. I spent about $50 this week, I was a little behind. IC #3, IC#4, All-Star Superman #2, and lastly Planetary. Actually, it is still unread waiting....

Wow, it is amazing how distant Morrison writes Supes. I mean, most of the Superman stories I have read, treat him like any other guy. Any other, guy who can fly, shoot heat beams from his eyes etc. I like the treatment Morrison is giving him. He acts like a God. Pretty good stuff. I look forward to #3. cloud9.gif

I think the book is being a good read because Morrison is getting to do the things that would actually be cool to be a superman.

The GA Superman was new and unique but he was still very limited in his powers. Then came the SA superman with the god-like powers that were good for awhile, but then he got caught up in all of the Batman/Superman campiness and imaginary stories that destroyed the continuity from issue to issue.

In the modern day revamp with Byrne the editors chose to strip Supes of some of his powers in order to make him more human and to supposedly make him more interesting. But by modern times the Superman type character was no longer new and unique....and a limited Superman turns out to be not so super after all.

For all of us who have witnessed all these variations of Supes over the years, we are getting to see the core character shown in all of his glory with the unlimited powers and potential, outrageous science, cosmic scope, and still a human love story from a middle america background. Take any of these factors out and Superman is no longer very super.

Morrison isn't holding back....he's putting all the cards on the table...and He's playing to win. thumbsup2.gif

Yep. I love the limitless potential for his power at this point. Like Timulty, I like Morrison's take on Supes. Kind of reminiscent of the latter Moore Miracleman issues where he has moved from mortal w/ powers to a god. cloud9.gif

In the modern day revamp with Byrne the editors chose to strip Supes of some of his powers in order to make him more human and to supposedly make him more interesting. But by modern times the Superman type character was no longer new and unique....and a limited Superman turns out to be not so super after all.

For all of us who have witnessed all these variations of Supes over the years, we are getting to see the core character shown in all of his glory with the unlimited powers and potential, outrageous science, cosmic scope, and still a human love story from a middle america background. Take any of these factors out and Superman is no longer very super.

Morrison isn't holding back....he's putting all the cards on the table...and He's playing to win. thumbsup2.gif

I think that's exactly correct: you've nailed it. The Silver Age Supes had all this crazy Kryptonian science going on, but the human-interest bits with Lois, etc. were just laughable, even by the standards of the time.

One of the best things to come out of the Byrne re-boot was the Lois & Clark relationship, particularly during the Ordway-Jurgen years. But Supes himself by this point was written as pretty much just the world's biggest jock yuppie!

With Morrison's take, we're seeing through Lois' eyes how really strange the last Kryptonian can be by Earth standards!

Edited to add...

The problem once you've decided to do a really alien Superman is how to deal with Clark Kent? Either Clark is a complete put-on (and hence kind of a cruel joke on the rest of the supporting cast), or else you have some serious multiple personality disorder issues to work through. Interesting that Morrison has pretty much taken Clark off the board so far. I'm hoping he'll get back to this; I'm interested in Morrison's solution to the problem.

The problem once you've decided to do a really alien Superman is how to deal with Clark Kent? Either Clark is a complete put-on (and hence kind of a cruel joke on the rest of the supporting cast), or else you have some serious multiple personality disorder issues to work through. Interesting that Morrison has pretty much taken Clark off the board so far. I'm hoping he'll get back to this; I'm interested in Morrison's solution to the problem.

I understand your concern but I'm not sure that the answer is not already there to see

If Supes was just an Alien living on the Earth....he wouldn't have much in common with humans. Why care about us? Why assume the guise of a hero and not only save and protect people, but to especially stick up for the little guy. His kryptonian hertiage would seem to lead him toward the cold calculating scientist of his birth. But his mid-america raising influences his thinking more then anything else. There's a Clark Kent in order to remind himself that even though he could be god-like and rule the planet as Superman...his desires and wants are more mundane to just do as much good for his family(earth) as he can as long as he can(sounds an awful lot like the thoughts of the average Joe to me).

AS SUpes 2 was awesome. I loved the mix of 60s Suped mythos with an 00s attitude. Art was great too, Im looking forward to each issue. Luthor will be back.

but GL7 was awful! bad art, dumb story, and as mentioned, NOT a good idea to cannabalize Moores's classic Mongul story.

Don't get me wrong... I don't really have a 'concern.' When I say it is a problem, I just mean it is a story problem each writer needs to solve when he/she decides to write a Superman story. All I'm saying is I'm interested in seeing Morrison's solution to this story problem. thumbsup2.gif

Don't get me wrong... I don't really have a 'concern.' When I say it is a problem, I just mean it is a story problem each writer needs to solve when he/she decides to write a Superman story. All I'm saying is I'm interested in seeing Morrison's solution to this story problem. thumbsup2.gif

No problemo...I was just running off with the topic.

I'm not even much of a Superman fan but I am highly anticipating the rest of this series.

It's amazing how fun these 2 issues have been and how bad the All-Star Batman books are.

OK, I don't think anyone said this but if they did, I'm sorry.

WTF was Morrison doing with the J.Lo joke??? I mean that's not funny, and it isn't Morrison

Yeah, I agree. I liked the entire issue except for three things. This being the first one. I am assuming it was to be a joke. Not a very good one and it ruined (to me) the coolness of the future Supermen projector. Another pet peeve I have is the workroom door. In one panel you see "Do not enter, Superman at work" printed on the door. Who would that be for? Not the robots since he could just command them not to go into that room if he is in there or ever. For guests? Couldn't be for Lois since it was on the door and not a sign which means it was initially done, not just a spur of the moment thing due to her being there. Just wondering if any one else caught this. And the finally thing was him feeding the Suneater. I mean, he just got a clip from a future Supes saying they had defeated the tyrant Suneater in the future...um, coincidence that you have a baby one you're feeding right now? Other than that I've like the series a bit more than I have the Batman take. It's not a retelling of the origin story which is a very good thing.

As far as Supes being/acting alien versus acting human...I like the idea that was in Kill Bill Vol. 2. Bill states, "Clark Kent is how Superman sees humans. Superman is always Superman. Clark Kent is his costume." (that's a paraphrase of course.)