• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most difficult short run you ever completed

47 posts in this topic

Hey lads,

Our Army at War #83 to #88, in a range of VG+ to FN. Extremely tough. But oh man, even in mid grade that's a beautiful handful of books to have, and the part of my collection I am most proud of.

G.I. Combat #144 to #154 in VF or better. Easily, the toughest run of the early 1970 giant size war books to find. I am currently trying to upgrade these to NM, and it is proving difficult both in terms of cost and availability.

Weird War #50 to #70 in VF to NM. Remarkably hard to find these books in grade, especially considering the era is 1976 to 1978.

Blazing Combat #1 to #4, #1 (FN), #2-#4 (VF). Whether you like war comics or not, this is the run that made Archie Goodwin. There's hardly a bad art job between the four books. #1 is horribly difficult to find above VG.

Good question!

Shep

Clue Comics #1-#12 took me about two and a half years. Though #2 is listed as scarce in the Guide, #5 was actually the one that I spent the longest time looking for. I suppose that for an obscure GA title, that's not too long. About 50% of the run came from ebay, the other half cons and stores.

A run of the 1961 pre-hero Amazing Adventures 1-6 / Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14 in CGC 6.0 or better. I'm still working on it....

I do have a complete run, but my #1 is PLOD and I have a couple issues in 5.5 instead of 6.0 or higher.

The biggest problem children are the AAF 8 and AAF 14.

AAF 8: (1 copy exists in 9.6, the next highest is 1 copy in 6.5 and 1 in 6.0). I have a 5.5. foreheadslap.gif

AAF14: The highest graded copy is 1 in 7.0. There is 1 in 6.5. There is also 1 in 6.0. I just got that 6.0 last summer, so I'm ALMOST at the point of having the full run in 6.0 and better. yay.gif

Took me about three years to find the 50s DC series Congo Bill.

About the same time to complete THE FIRST KINGDOM and Ist print ELFQUEST.

Still haven't finished with all the THUNDERAGENTS off-shoots.

Would you still consider that Congo Bill series to be scarce or have more copies surfaced since you were looking?

I guess I could say the Halloween comics by Chaos. Getting all the limited editions, chase covers and DF issues was a challenge. The toughest being an ashcan lmt. to 60. I think I have them all now?? Minus a couple of German editions I've seen.

Hulk 1 to 6 fine and up (price was main challenge here)

I'll Be Damned 1-3 vfnm and up

Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids 1-10 vf and up (took over a decade)

Marvelmania Magazine 1-6 vfnm and up

Marvel Times 1-3 vfnm and up

Web of Horror Magazine 1-3 vfnm and up

Li'l Kids 1-12 vfnm and up

Silver Surfer 1-18 are always around but have never been cheap

I have the same problem. I don't own a single issue. They just aren't a priority and their always available if I'm ready to spend the money. I'm too busy buying comics I haven't read.

I have the same problem. I don't own a single issue. They just aren't a priority and their always available if I'm ready to spend the money. I'm too busy buying comics I haven't read.

thumbsup2.gif There's something to be said for those two volumes of Silver Surfer Masterworks. You get the entire run of one of the greatest comics ever for under $100.

thumbsup2.gif There's something to be said for those two volumes of Silver Surfer Masterworks. You get the entire run of one of the greatest comics ever for under $100.

Greatest comics ever???

Do they contain the original Kirby/Lee stories from the FF?

If not you are way off base with that statement... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hulk 1 to 6 fine and up (price was main challenge here)

Just curious as to the grades and prices you paid? I would like to use it as a guide.

I put my Marvel runs together back in the 1980s, so the prices wouldn't apply now. I don't even remember what I paid for the books, and a lot of it was in trade. Sorry not to be more helpful... sorry.gif

Greatest comics ever???

Do they contain the original Kirby/Lee stories from the FF?

If not you are way off base with that statement... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ONE OF THE greatest comics ever!!! makepoint.gif

Took me about three years to find the 50s DC series Congo Bill.

About the same time to complete THE FIRST KINGDOM and Ist print ELFQUEST.

Still haven't finished with all the THUNDERAGENTS off-shoots.

Would you still consider that Congo Bill series to be scarce or have more copies surfaced since you were looking?

Can't really say,as I no longer look for them.To put it in a little perspective,I was also searching for Fine or better JLA21,22,29, and the Spectre Showcase issues and had a tough time on those.Currently I Have over a dozen JLA 21s,so times have changed.At the time I would have paid silly money for first appearences of Mon-El and Dev-Em,they just were not around. Now they are abundant. 1st Kyrpto is still pretty tough.

Dynamite 3-9 with the pre-code Johnny Dynamite stories. Took a few years, but scored the last 3 issues I needed plus an upgrade of issue #3 in one purchase from a Showcase New England catalog that listed a near complete run about 5 years ago. I still don't have the Charlton post-code appearances, but haven't looked that hard.

Probably the hardest run I'd like to complete is finding all the issues of Texas Ranger (an early 60s college humor mag) with Wonder Warthog appearances. These are near impossible to find ( I have 2) and I'm not even sure how many there are.

Before anyone says anything....Nick Fury; I've been looking for a #13 9.4 or better since 1991. What is the deal with this particular book!

Otherwise, I'd say Star Spangled War stories dino issues 103 and 112 in something that would actually be a 9.0 or better! Two tough books to find...