• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish/Tales of Suspense...

21 posts in this topic

Question from a newbie SA buyer, since I'm looking to branch out from all of my Bronze Age books - what are some key but affordable books from these titles? I'd love to own the first Dr. Strange in 9.4, but wouldn't that cost me untold thousands?!?!?!

What about Tales to Astonish 49? Or Tales of Suspense 63?

Thanks crew...

IMHO virtually all of the TTA issues from 60 - 100 are undervalued. These issues are essentially the only comics in which The Hulk was featured until he got his own title (following Hulk #s 1-6, of course). With the Hulk movie coming soon, and Bronze Age fans of the Hulk gaining in terms of income level, and in many cases completing their runs of the Hulk's own title, these seem poised for growth.

Garthgantu

There's some decent Dr Strange books in the Strange Tales 119-135 run. They're impossible to find in 9.4 though.

I'm planning on buying a higher grade 110 sometime this Summer, if I do I'd be willing to sell you my 7.5 if you're interested?

Brian

Let's not forget that the TTAs and TOS's in the 70 to 100 range are in plentiful supply, even in grades exceeding VF/NM, either raw or CGCed. The prices on these has remained pretty much unchanged on Ebay for the past 3 years while other titles and numbers have multiplied.

You guys should not forget the pre-hero issues...they are tough to get in HG but are a neat addition to these two series...especially the prototype issues....JMO..... 893blahblah.gif

TTA 49: OS says "Ant Man becomes Giant Man."

In TOS I personally like 49, 52- 1st Black Widow, 57- 1st Hawkeye, 65- 1st SA Red Skull and 66- Red Skull Origin. The whole run from 39 to 70 is fun though.

Another book I like is Strange Tales 135.

While they're not major keys, some other good books are:

TOS #58 - 1st Captain America in title. Classic Cap vs. Iron Man cover (one of the alltime great covers, IMO)

TOS #59 - 1st Solo Cap story in SA

Strange Tales #151 - 1st Steranko work for Marvel

Chris

I'm not sure these guys would agree with me, but I think the Nick Fury series is great as well as his appearances in Strange Tales. Steranko rules and Nick Fury 1-10 or so have some of the bst covers out there, all VERY affordable.

Agreed, The Nick Furys, though not that rare, have some of the most beautiful cover art seen on Marvel books! That black cover issue being VERY reminiscient of some of the most beautiful of those incredible early Mystery in Space and Planet issues.

I'm not sure these guys would agree with me, but I think the Nick Fury series is great as well

What a minute! I'm w/ you on this! Can't go wrong w/ Steranko!!!!!! Fury #1-7 are all classics!

Chris

acclaim.gif

Could someone possibly bring in the scan of this comic I just won? Item # 2173029812. I think it's real nice. Got it for $91.09 and if it's a VF+ it guides at $250.00. So, I don't think these comics are all that expensive right now. Maybe 'cause not too many people are buying them?

It's a copy of Tales of Suspense # 59.

cloud9.gif

This is the first Silver Age Captain America Solo story and I think is way under-valued considering what Captain America 100 is selling for these days. What's everybody else think on this one?

Opinions, opinions, I must have opinions. Especially from Bugaroo. He always has something nice to say. 27_laughing.gif

acclaim.gif

Could someone possibly bring in the scan of this comic I just won? Item # 2173029812. I think it's real nice. Got it for $91.09 and if it's a VF+ it guides at $250.00. So, I don't think these comics are all that expensive right now. Maybe 'cause not too many people are buying them?

It's a copy of Tales of Suspense # 59.

cloud9.gif

This is the first Silver Age Captain America Solo story and I think is way under-valued considering what Captain America 100 is selling for these days. What's everybody else think on this one?

Opinions, opinions, I must have opinions. Especially from Bugaroo. He always has something nice to say. 27_laughing.gif

Damn rookie! tongue.gif

Ninanina is a rookie

At a glance it looks VF. I would agree I've long been a Cap fan and I think the real early silver age appearances (pre Cap 100) are somewhat undervalued.

Brian