• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a dream...

49 posts in this topic

The movie Dreamscape starring Dennis Quade and Kate Kapshaw.

That movie freaked me out as a kid...especially with that cobra dude. shy.gif

Actually having Eddie Albert as the president freaked me out more! 893whatthe.gif

I know of it. It just got by me. Good?

Kinda dated since its from 1984 but I'd say yeah. Good F/X and story about the government recruiting "mind" assassins to kill you in your dreams. As they say in the movie: "If you dream that you die, then you die for real."

You can actually learn to "control" your dreams, take charge and steer them in a certain way. It's not easy, but with the right techniques and patience it does work sometimes.

First trick to have a lucid dream is to become aware you are dreaming but not wake up.....one of the best tricks is to try and use an electrical appliance or turn on the lights in your dream. Most of the time *all* electrical appliances in dreams tend to be flaky

If you consider that once you know you are dreaming, you are restricted only by your ability to imagine and conceive, not by laws of physics or society, dreaming can be lots of fun tongue.gif

More info Lucidity

I actually found this to be true, but with certain limitations. With much effort and practice I learned many times to be able to recognize when I was in a dream, but found myself still bound by the laws of physics in that dream (whatever laws are established in that particular dream invironment). For example, I tried running really fast and jumped with the intent of flying because I knew I was dreaming and wanted to fly, yet only went as high as I normally would from jumping and came down with a unimpressive thud (it was like I could not control the environment I was in, just my efforts). I also found that even when I knew I was dreaming, I still felt inhibited about others reactions and counter-reactions, as in I had no ability to control them or to know what they were thinking or feeling.

I once even tried writing down everything that I was seeing in a dream because i knew I was in one and wanted to remember all the details, only to find that I had actually not written anything when I awoke.

I also dream in color, but have heard that most people dream in black and white. I'd be interested to hear which is true for the rest of you guys.

A recurring dream I used to have as a child I still remember fairly well!

I’m dared to go into a haunted house (which was an actual house in my neighborhood, although in my dream it was in a different location). I get chased by a suit of armor down dark hallways. I then would always see a light on in a back room of this house, (since it was a recurring dream I began to anticipate the events even though I was not in control of them). I would enter the room to find Lurch, Mortisha, and Fester from the Adam’s Family standing in there and Lurch was always playing the organ. I would ask them how to get out of this house and they would point to a back door. The problem was that to get to this back door I would have to go through another dark room to reach it. My anxiety would always build at this point because in this room behind the sofa was…something. A monster, corpse, ghost…I don’t know because I never get to see it, but I know it’s there waiting for me to go for the door! I run through the room screaming because I hear the thing start to chase me and I would always wake up at that exact moment!

Whew…I haven’t thought about this in about 30 years but it is still a vivid memory.

A recurring dream I used to have as a child I still remember fairly well!

I’m dared to go into a haunted house (which was an actual house in my neighborhood, although in my dream it was in a different location). I get chased by a suit of armor down dark hallways. I then would always see a light on in a back room of this house, (since it was a recurring dream I began to anticipate the events even though I was not in control of them). I would enter the room to find Lurch, Mortisha, and Fester from the Adam’s Family standing in there and Lurch was always playing the organ. I would ask them how to get out of this house and they would point to a back door. The problem was that to get to this back door I would have to go through another dark room to reach it. My anxiety would always build at this point because in this room behind the sofa was…something. A monster, corpse, ghost…I don’t know because I never get to see it, but I know it’s there waiting for me to go for the door! I run through the room screaming because I hear the thing start to chase me and I would always wake up at that exact moment!

Whew…I haven’t thought about this in about 30 years but it is still a vivid memory.

Interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe you were being visited by a spirit that resided in that house, and wanted you to go explore that room (a la "Stir of Echoes'). tongue.gif

Seriously though, there are a lot of superstitions that come with dreams and are passed on through each generation. My mom would always tell me that certain dreams had a meaning. For instance, if you or someone becomes seriously injured in a dream and you see blood, then the injury is a wash. Otherwise, it's not a good sign. Dying in a dream could mean long life for the person. She would also say that if you see a deceased person in your dream, and you grab their thumb, then they're obligated to tell you the truth. My mom actually did this ones to her deceased aunt in her dream, and asked about her dead mom (my aunt's sister). The aunt squirmed back and forth until she broke the hold and evaporated into thin air.

Since we've shifted this thread to personal dreams and the supernatural.......... what's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you in real life that you couldn't explain?

Here's mine:

When I was 12 years old back in 1983, my family and I were sitting in the den watching TV. The movie "Exorcist" had just started, and they were showing the events in Egypt. Since we were recent immigrants, I had no idea what this movie was all about. After about 10 minutes, I told my mom the movie was boring, and left the room.

When I got to the living room and turned on the lights, I noticed several bushels of bananas that my mom had purchased from the supermarket earlier in the day. There must have been about 30 ripe bananas in the basket on the table. I went over and instead of grabbing the top banana (which I usually do), I stuck my hand in the middle of the pack and broke off one. To my astonishment, my first name "Edward" was perfectly etched into the side of the banana peel. The name was hand written in long hand and was about 1.5" high by 6" long, and was in black (almost like it was burnt in there instead of ink). I quickly called my family over, and they were all shocked as well. My brothers quickly took a knife and pen to recreate the writing, but since the bananas were still ripe, the writing came out really jaggedy and ugly. That banana sat there for a week until my mom decided to eat it (nothing happened to her).

The only explanation we could come up with was that a store clerk or delivery person must have done this. However, the odds of me picking that one banana out of 30, my first name Edward being written on there, and that out of 6 people in the house, I was the person to find it, are pretty long. When I told kids at school about the event, they quickly connected it to my dismissing of the movie. Would you believe that 23 years after the fact, I still refuse to watch this film, even though I love horror movies, and have watched most them.