• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-2 Who's seen it? Spoiler!!!

92 posts in this topic

Just got back from X-2 and OH MY GOD! Awesome movie! If Marvel and respective studios can keep putting out this kind of material the superhero movie market will keep chugging for a long time. Everything the first movie should have been and more. Much better character development, coherent storyline and amazing effects. The opening sequence with Nightcrawler was spectacular and they nailed the character almost as well as Wolvie. And best of all I'm already itching to see X-3 The Rise Of PHOENIX laugh.gif Cant't wait. What did everyone else think?

If Marvel and respective studios can keep putting out this kind of material the superhero movie market will keep chugging for a long time.

I think this film has set the bar so high that Marvel will be hard-pressed to equal, let alone surpass, it. My guess is that, 10 years from now, we'll be saying that X2 was the best superhero movie to come out in the 2000s...it really fulfilled the promise and potential of the genre, IMO. It wasn't like watching just another entertaining movie, it was like watching a great comic book come to life. By staying true to its comic book roots, the film created a superior experience for us comic fans than if we were watching a well-crafted film with a story just based on a characters from a comic. My hat's off to Bryan Singer and the cast.

Gene

You certainly are extremely cynical of everything that goes on, aren't you? Instead of "yeh it was a pretty good movie, good work Marvel". It's "yeh it was good but there's no way in hell they'll ever do that again". It's gotten to the point where I have begun to take everything you say with a grain of salt (with the exception of reviews of modern stuff)..

I haven't seen the movie yet but I hope to see it tomorrow. The previews look really good, hopefully this means Spider-man 2 will be outstanding as well..

Brian

Saw with the family - everyone thought it was terrific! In the previews though the audience was most excited by Matrix -- - and the Hulk. Heard many people saying "can't wait for the HUlk." As for X2 too bad it looks like the end for Deathstryke. So many good x-men stories and villians but I think it is Sentinel time. With the anti-mutant story line they fit great. Would also love to see Juggs and some of the other evil mutants. None better than Malcom as Magneto though. I thought he may be too old and frail looking to come off like Mags in the comics but i can't imagine anyone doing a better job with that part.

Have to say I was seriously impressed. The film was much pacier than the first and it was good to see characters such as Storm get more screen time.

For me Nighcrawler was awesome, the opening assasination scene blew me away. They got his 'bamfing' just right, and overall the CGI was about the best I have see.

This really film sets the standards for all super-hero flicks to come, and just about says that any super powers can be re-created convincingly on the silver screen.

The Jean Grey/Pheonix twist was great, and X3, with possibly Dark Phoenix as the villain of the piece is sure something to look out for. grin.gif

You certainly are extremely cynical of everything that goes on, aren't you? Instead of "yeh it was a pretty good movie, good work Marvel". It's "yeh it was good but there's no way in hell they'll ever do that again".

What I'm saying is that this movie is just so incredibly freaking good that Marvel will be hard-pressed to ever top it. Is that really so "cynical"? I think that sounds more like your typical "drooling fanboy" than some world-weary cynic. wink.gif

And why are you reading the "Spoiler" thread if you haven't seen the film yet?!! tongue.gif Just kidding...don't want to argue for argument's sake, but, to be honest, I did think your response was a bit harsh and unfair.

Gene

None better than Malcom as Magneto though. I thought he may be too old and frail looking to come off like Mags in the comics but i can't imagine anyone doing a better job with that part.

Very true...Ian McKellen was absolutely outstanding. Just look at the subtle facial expressions he makes which perfectly convey the message of whatever he's saying without the need for words. I also can't imagine anyone doing better with the role. However, I've never been able to look at him in quite the same manner since my younger sister told me she met the flamboyishly gay McKellen through the gay friend he was dating...apparently it's common knowledge that he has an appetite for 20-something guys (he's 63 or 64). I absolutely don't have a problem with the gay aspect (I live in Greenwich Village, after all), but the cradle-robbing skeeves me out, same as when I heard Michael Douglas was marrying Catherine Zeta-Jones (and that's a smaller age gap!) or same as it would if, hypothetically, news came out that similarly-aged Patrick Stewart only dated college co-eds.

As for X2 too bad it looks like the end for Deathstryke.

Well, you know they can always concoct a reason to bring her back if need be, though I don't think either she or Stryker would be needed in a Dark Phoenix storyline.

So many good x-men stories and villians but I think it is Sentinel time.

I think the Sentinels could be a letdown after this superb film...to even have a hope of bettering X2, I think they'll have to go for the full-blown, uber-budget Dark Phoenix-Hellfire Club-Starjammers spectacular!

Gene

Who I am thinking of that is English with the last name malcom? Maybe Malcom McDowell or something? Hmm - not magneto/Gandolf obviously. Knew he was gay - saw that time he hosted SNL and that's when I found out as they played off it. Otherwise i would have guessed he was just being English. Your comments about him being gay remind me of that Sienfeld episode - "not that there's anything wrong with that!" But still not a guy that matches up exactly with Magneto physical appearance in comics but really carries off the persona and attitude great. As for the Sentinles, I have always loved giant robot stuff and would love to see Wolv. hacking up some giant robots - and the whole Trask angle would fit great. But a Dark Phoenix main story with Sentinel development in the background would be great. or a visit from the Professor's favorite stepbrother would be good too!

Not exactly movie related - but I have noticed no appreciable ebay price bounce for X-men books on with the movie coming out. Not at all like the first time around. There is a big bounce for Hulk stuff right now though as with Spidey and DD. Maybe the price hype only works on the first movie?

I think the Sentinels could be a letdown after this superb film...to even have a hope of bettering X2, I think they'll have to go for the full-blown, uber-budget Dark Phoenix-Hellfire Club-Starjammers spectacular!

Agreed! Now the question becomes: Will Singer do it?!!? (Has he said anything about this?) He's a magnificent beast, that one. The movie was GREAT! And Ian McKellan is a superb actor... and it's amazing what he can do with that wrinkled, wrinkled old face of his. wink.gif

X-Men 2 ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!

I would DIE for a Juggernaut-Colossus battle, but that'd have to be 100% CGI which is extremely difficult and quite expensive. The scene with Colossus was really strong, but too short...Bryan Singer obviously has to stretch his budget on the superpowers as far as it will go and showing too much of Colossus would be extremely expensive. I * LOVED * that scene where Pyro said "You know all those bad mutants you hear about on TV? Well, I'm the WORST of them!" and started kicking major butt. The actor delivered that PERFECTLY!!! And it was cool the way Magneto recognized his ego and manipulated it by telling him he was a "god among ants, don't let anyone tell you any different."

As a huge Magneto fan, I was definitely pleased with his scenes!!! The thing where Mystique injected iron into that guard for Magneto to use--AWESOME! The way he started floating and spinning in Cerebro 2 while manipulating the metallic panels around the room--STUNNING! But we still have yet to see any mutants actually ATTACK Magneto and see him defend himself with his powers; I hope that comes. It was always rather stunning to see four-to-ten X-Men all come at Magneto at once and see him almost effortlessly dispose of each one of them in turn, with X-Men 111 to 113 being the best example of this I can remember seeing.

I'd also like to see the Sentinels, but if you think about it a bit...the idea of giant killer robots is a little cliched and campy and therefore tough to show on the big screen. It'd be tough to make the motivation for creating them believably real since just killing mutants in other ways would be considerably cheaper and easier for their enemies.

Anybody care to guess why they nixed one of THE most popular X-Men villains, Sabretooth? Could Singer have been disappointed with Tyler Mane's acting and had trouble finding 7-footers who could play a loudmouthed braggart who never shuts up?

Maybe they could do Sentinels a little differently - like terminators or something instead of giants? A lot of things are cliche or overused in comic book movies or just about any book or movie - i think it is more important how it is carried out. The Magneto iron in the blood scene was used in a marvel Super Villain team up fight where he and Doc Doom fought everyone. I think Mags almost killed Hulk by manipulating the iron in his blood! An awseome idea for the movie though - I thought Mystique would just change into the guard so they fooled me!

Agreed! Now the question becomes: Will Singer do it?!!? (Has he said anything about this?)

I haven't heard any comments on X3, but one would think that they laid the perfect groundwork for it with what they did with Jean in this movie! I think X3 will have to have the Phoenix, and I don't think it would be very interesting if they had an uber-powered "good" Phoenix easily disposing of villains left and right (or worse yet: "X-Men 3: The Search for Spo-...uh, The Search for Jean Grey". Seems to me like she has to go "Dark" to really "make" the movie. I hope they can pull off a colossal, full-blown Shi'ar, Starjammers, etc. storyline, but that would probably take an even larger budget than X2.

They could keep a "Dark Phoenix" storyline on Earth without the Shi'ar, Starjammers, etc. by having the Hellfire Club be the antagonists (similar to a recent "Ultimate X-Men" storyline), perhaps combined with a Trask/Sentinels sub-plot as well, something like this:

2 years following the events of X2, anti-mutant hysteria is again on the rise. Jean is seemingly reborn as Phoenix after a 747 crashes in the lake during a horrendous storm. Cerebro goes wild and the X-Men investigate. Jean/Phoenix rejoins the team and the love triangle with Scott & Logan renews. Meanwhile, Sebastian Shaw is recruiting mutants in his pursuit of wealth and power as part of his Hellfire Club organization. He is also secretly funding Bolivar Trask's Sentinel program to get rid of mutants who might be a threat/competition to him. After the X-Men (w/Phoenix) defeat the Juggernaut in battle, Shaw takes note of Phoenix's powers and lures her to the Hellfire Club through Mastermind and the White Queen. These two mutants lose control over Jean and she becomes Dark Phoenix, creating the ultimate threat to mankind. The X-Men have to defeat the Sentinels and the Hellfire Club, as well as face the possibility of having to watch Jean die (again).

Just a thought!

Gene

Will Singer do it?!!?

The actors all signed a 3 picture deal before the first movie so I'm assuming that Singer did as well although I don't remember for sure. Definitely need him back as he is an incredible storyteller and outdid himself with this movie. I think X-Men 1 would have been better if the studio suits had let Singer do what he wanted to do with it but they were more concerned with the bottom line. I'm kind of hoping they stay away from a S'hiar - Starjammers storyline with Dark Phoenix in X-3. I'd rather see a Hellfire club story as I think if they introduce the Hellfire Club and the S'hiar AND the Starjammers the movie will have too much going on and the story and character develpment will suffer. Can you say Batman and Robin? BTW, Gene I agree that the bar has been set high with this movie. However I think that Spiderman was just as good as X-2, different type of movie but equally as good, so I don't see why they would be unable to duplicate it. Especially if Singer continues on the X franchise, he has a very good sense of the dynamics of the team and did a monster of a job developing the characters with limited screentime.

some thoughts...

Nightcrawler. absolutely fanatstic. the potential to make a character like that fail on film is incredibly high - but i felt he was the most BELIEVABLE of all the X Men characters.

Magneto. brilliant! with X2, i see that mclelland was born to be magneto in the way that stewart was born to be Prof. X. no debate whatsoever.

Colossus!!! we only saw a GLIMPSE of him - but that was THE MOST EXCITING part of the movie for me - seeing him quickly develop the armor and deflect the bullets. X3 absolutely HAS to have colossus in the movie.

good action, good movie. definitely a must see. can't wait for X3!!

oh btw - is it just me or was that LXG trailer really, really bad??

normally, they show bits of the scenes to whet your appetite, but they jumped between the scenes way too fast and it was way too confusing.

after the trailer, the feeling in the theatre was, "Uh... OK (as if we're going to watch THAT!)"

I know zero about LXG; the trailer made me somewhat interested in them. I'm certainly interested in any movie Sean Connery is in. But when I compare it to the Hulk or X-Men movies right there on the screen before and after the LXG trailer, it's hard to get excited about it.

dont get me wrong the movie was great...but ta final scene above the water as they panned on the watr and you saw what appeared to be a reflection of the phonex, or a phonex under water was cool, but I was hoping that the phonex would bust ou of the water and ten the would cut to credits, I was littlre let down that they cutright as you saw the reflection.

BUT that was definatly the phonex, definatly , and X3, would be crazy not to have the darkphonex as the next storyline.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif