• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-2 Who's seen it? Spoiler!!!

92 posts in this topic

I would like to see Dark phoenix as the next X3,well see.

X2 was a real good movie and Wolverine and nightcrawler were great.Saw it in my little town in Post Falls Id. on opening Day and you know what the Theater was full.That was a surprise to me.Going to go see it today again, X2

Davidking623 cool.gif

Saw it yesterday and was blown away like everyone else!

Great story too using the professor and cerebro to connect with and attempt to destroy all the mutants in one shot... only to have Magneto turn the tables and try and do the opposite to all the humans! I think that was genius. It also reminds us that Prof X is really the most powerful and dangerous mutant of them all... except maybe Stryker's son?

Magneto was far more believable compared to X1. I was not impressed with the choice of casting Ian in the first film. He seemed too old and unimposing. He pulled it off this time with no doubt.

Loved the effects... Nightcrawler was the surprise star in my view. I expected to see the Red outfit, but was more than pleased with the tatoos/skin burning? of symbols instead. That seemed to break up all that blue skin (like Mystique) which may have come across "smurfy" otherwise.

Wolvie was better than last time by far... moving faster it seemed and playing for keeps. Gets impaled and shot in the head and bounces back! His disposition is on the mark as well.

I like Mystique as a hero and Pyro will be better as a villain. Future potential battles with Iceman will be memorable!

Glad to see Storm was not "just" eye-candy this time, although I agree with Gene that there's room for improvement with the character. She's so sweet its distracting. Might just be my problem.

It will be hard to top X2... but lets try not expect them to make each film "better". We still followed the comic even when some of the following stories were not as good as others. If they can continue to make the X movies with similar quality, I'm all for it, and won't feel cheated if X3 is only a 8 out of 10 compared to X2's 9 to 9.5. or X 1's 7.0. I'm in no big rush for them to jump right into Dark Phoenix either OR use up every available classic storyline. I'm OK with Phoenix being a good gal for a movie or 2 although I saw some red and figure DP is coming. I think the "future" storyline is maybe the best use for the Sentinels, maybe a movie or 2 down the road.

I'm giving it a 9 (maybe even 9.5) out of 10. I'm going again soon to see some of the smaller details I probably missed the first time while my jaw was agape. I pounded a couple of Hard Lemonades in the movie parking lot before I went in as I like to get a "small buzz-on" to see movies I'm really looking forward to as I can get drawn in deeper. 893whatthe.gif I'll go with soda for the 2nd round so I can catch the subtleties I may have missed.

Saw it with the wife yesterday and had a good time. Good story, great effects. Great lead in to X3...

Problems: The love scenes were forced and awkward - Famke Jansen, though hot and real sexy with the short red hair, can't act out the role of being the plaything/love interest for two domineering characters - Scott comes off not as a man in love whose wife/intimate girlfriend just died but as a boy who lost his dog in the end - why is he crying in Wolverine's arms again?

Nightcrawler bamfs in the beginning with a Secret Service Agent and reappears with the knock out effect on the agent who is down. yet he teleports with Rogue and Storm without affecting them the same way?

Why is Rogue crapping herself after she flies the X-jet? Did she flashback to Magneto's doomsday machine in the first movie?

Stryker's son did not look like someone young enough to be Stryker's son. Why if he is as good with the mind thing (or better?) than Prof X, don't they just use him to run Cerebro 2?

Bad actor for the President - could have played the Mayor of some podunk town, but not enough screen presence for a President.

No Toad or Sabretooth in this one.

I didn't see a Hulk preview. LXG was laughed at by everyone around me..repeating the name as if it were anathema, something to be shunned and ridiculed. That's all I heard. Matrix reloaded was the best and folk were all thrilled that it'll be out in 2 weeks.

QUESTIONS:

Anyone know the significance of the Once and Future King being read by Magneto and talked about by the Prof in the end scene? I missed this nuance - maybe a connection with how the main characters developed opposing ideologies form something in this book?

Anyone notice Hidden things in the movie or inside jokes? Please add if you guys picked up on other stuff too..

Was any of the guards "a comic person" (creator, artist, writer, publishing exec?)

Anyone notice Remy Lebeau's name next to Erik Lensherr on that list that Mystique was looking at on screen, any other names pop up? Watch the movie and again and pay closer attn here.

What else did it say on that plaque for the Lake installation where the secret base was.

If Magneto's helmet blocks out mind control - what about the Cerebro helmet that the Prof puts on?

Couldn't Magneto have pulled the Iron out of the guards (or anyone elses for that matter) blood at anytime?

Dr Hank mcoy (Beast) was being interviewed on a Tv show showing on the television set in the bar where Rebecca roman Stamos seduces the guard before she shoots him up with Iron. 893blahblah.gif

Nightcrawler bamfs in the beginning with a Secret Service Agent and reappears with the knock out effect on the agent who is down. yet he teleports with Rogue and Storm without affecting them the same way?

I was thinking the agent was either surprised (which Rogue and Storm wouldn't be) or he got punched at some point before or after the teleport; he was moving so fast it was hard to see what he did with both hands and both feet at any given time. You might be thinking back to the comic, where teleporting other people usually inflicted some kind of pain on both the person and Nightcrawler; it seemed he didn't have this same problem in the film.

Why is Rogue crapping herself after she flies the X-jet? Did she flashback to Magneto's doomsday machine in the first movie?

Because she didn't know how to fly the X-Jet. Flying a plane with no experience other than watching other people do it can be a bit risky, no?

Stryker's son did not look like someone young enough to be Stryker's son. Why if he is as good with the mind thing (or better?) than Prof X, don't they just use him to run Cerebro 2?

Stryker's son looked haggard, but not necessarily old. People who spend a lot of time in isolation or who never smile end up getting facial wrinkles more quickly than the average individual. His power was illusion, not direct mind control or telepathy; his power seemed most similar to MasterMind. He could read the mind and create images in it, but he couldn't take control of it.

Bad actor for the President - could have played the Mayor of some podunk town, but not enough screen presence for a President.

Given that Bush Jr. isn't much different than this guy--except that he looks marginally better--I'm not sure of your point. Many, many politicians lack charisma. Reagan and Clinton were two of the most charismatic presidents in history; the vast majority of them aren't like that.

Anyone notice Hidden things in the movie or inside jokes?

I read that the scene where Mystique appears as Rebecca Romijn in the bar to seduce the security guard and then gives him a surprise in the bathroom stall is a send-up of a similar scene in "Femme Fatale" (which stars Romijn). Although I recall that the scene in Fatale had Romijn going at it with another woman... shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Gene

Good counters...I definitely was thinking back to the book and possibly Night Crawler did hit him real fast...his constant praying was making me uncomfortable (and I'm a practicing Catholic) - I don't know any devouts that go around praying incessantly or praising faith all the time...

Yes flying a plane can be scary if one doesn't know how...her facial expression just made me think she was copying the same scene/emotion she used back in the first movie when she was strapped into that MAgneto device

I understand haggrd - but the guy looked OLd to me...and his power had to be more than illusion because they were using his juices to control (a la truth serum style?) Nightcrawler and Magneto via those weire circle drains in the backs of their necks? Or did I totally miss this...

Careful about Bush Jr...or you may be labelled unpatriotic tongue.gif Actually I didn't see the resemblance (nor expected to see) to Bush JR. This guys just was not presidential material (look at the guy on "24" or West Wing", Harrison Ford, - aplethora of known actors could have palyed the president better...isn't there typecast cache of actors specifically for this role) - Dubya's starting to grow on us...

I think they could go with a sentinels story for the next movie, not as giants but more like 10-15 foot tall bots with awsome capabilities built in.......gives Colossus a chance to throw some powerful punches and maybe he and Wolverine can perform a fastball special grin.gif,also gives a chance for pheonix to start off good to show her power with hints of changing to evil or not being able to control her power for dark pheonix for X4! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I understand haggrd - but the guy looked OLd to me...and his power had to be more than illusion because they were using his juices to control (a la truth serum style?) Nightcrawler and Magneto via those weire circle drains in the backs of their necks? Or did I totally miss this...

I think HIS powers were illusion not telepathy and the secretions from his brain made people susceptible to suggestion. Two different things but neither having to do with telepathy. Someone refered to Strykers' son as being like Mastermind, I think this WAS Mastermind. Same powers of illusion, same first name, same scrawny repulsive appearance, just adapted for the movie. For everyone that is clamoring for Sentinels in the next movie, I think you'll be disappointed. No way did they set up Phoenix as blatantly as they did just to bring her back as a more powerful Jean Grey. X3 will be Dark Phoenix and if they were to introduce the Sentinels as well I don't think they would be able to develop the Dark Phoenix story well enough. BTW Darth, you might look pretty fubar'ed yourself if you had been lobotimized, or didn't anyone notice the big circular scar on Masterminds' forehead?

I wondered about the book too? I know the once and future king refers to King Arthur but have never read the book. Maybe Pro. X was having his students read it at the end as a sign of hope - a return to a better place like the return of Arthur was supposed to mean. Perhaps Magneto was reading it as a reference to himself - knowing that he would escape and rebuild his mutant empire! I was thinking that Stryker's son was more like Xavier's insane son Legion who I don't know much about - but Mastermind also fits.

Anyone notice Hidden things in the movie or inside jokes?

Jamie Maddox's name was on that list as well. Went too quick for me to see any other names.

I'm sure everyone realized that was siren. Alway wondered what her scream sounded like. Shadowcat got a bit of a mention when Professor X was asked by the president how he was able to get the files. "let's just say I have a young pupil that can walk through walls".

Also, a small version of the Sentinels won't be a problem and would actually stay true to the comic. When they were 1st introduced in X-Men 14 they were just a bit taller than "people" size (about 12 feet tall?) They didn't get gargantuan till later.

Sure like to know what other names were on the list.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Man! I hadn't planned on seeing this one in the theater (can't stand the movie theater), but after the rave reviews given by everyone, I may have to check it out. This thread is at 33 posts and not one bad review!

Chris

I know I am jinxng the thread, but Joe C has yet to post his esteemed opinion of this film (although I doubt he will dislike it so much that he goes on and on about how bad it was, and creates several threads to tell us how much of a bomb the movie was).

It is certainly worth checking out in a crowded theater (the trailers attached to the film are fun to see on the big screen too).

I'm gonna see it this weekend, but from what I've heard so far from some friends:

Excellent effects, action and visual flair, but no real story to speak of.

Even so, they loved it and I'm sure I will too. No story or structure doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie, just more like a comic come to life.

Even so, they loved it and I'm sure I will too. No story or structure doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie, just more like a comic come to life.

Yeah, the story thing is an interesting issue (pardon the pun)... It definitely has a story, but the idea that it's part of a LARGER story almost smothers the actual "X2" storyline. The whole "Stryker" thing becomes almost incidental to the fact that there is SO much more happening in the X-Universe. It's just a terrifically rich movie storywise which maybe makes it fall a little flat unless you're really down with the mythos of the X-Men? I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it yet, but those familiar with the X-Men will see things happening that are VERY clearly setting up future events and those same fragments and hints could be seen as superfluous story elements that have absolutely NO relevance to what's happening whatsoever for the uninitiated.

Excellent effects, action and visual flair, but no real story to speak of.

This I can't wait to hear. Are your friends deaf, did they bother paying attention to the movie? Or were they just looking at all the pretty effects? No story, give me a break. While it's no oscar winning film it most definitely has a story and a coherent one at that. Every part of the film furthers the larger plot lines of the X franchise. Maybe you should have some of your friends come on the board and have a discussion with me about the "lack of story".

That's kind of what I meant, as it's pretty easy to see where it's going based on pre-release info. The problem is that while the average movie-goer is impressed with the overall experience, there doesn't seem to be any self-contained beginning-middle-end story to this movie.

Most of the people I have talked to know what's up concerning the 1970's-80's X-Men comic mythos, and they definitely "got it".

Again, I'm not cutting on the movie in the least, and it certainly doesn't look like another non-movie, no-story POS like Phantom Menace. Man that thing sucked. 893frustrated.gif