• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Heritage Start to Run Out of Steam?

58 posts in this topic

With JP's inventory gone (at least I am assuming it is), will Heritage's future auctions have the same magnitude of material they have in the past? I am not sure if the latest preview items are for the May auction, but if it is, not too impressive.

I haven't been too impressed with the previous auctions over the past 6 months, too much junk or so-so books. However, I haven't seen a lot of good SA books lately, maybe because of all of the focus has been on the GA stuff so I expect them to ramp this up again.

I'm not sure if that's really the case - their silver age stuff has been pretty consistent in terms of percentages:

2003: 35% Gold, 35% Silver

2004: 37% Gold, 34% Silver

2005: 25% Gold, 38% SIlver

I'm using 1939-1952 as Gold and 1956-1969 as Silver - I can rerun these with different dates if required. And the volume of Silver Age offered is back over 2003 figures:

2003: 4632 Gold, 4687 Silver

2004: 3177 Gold, 2858 Silver

2005: 3597 Gold, 5521 Silver

Hey George.

You really are the numbers guy aren't you.... hail.gif

BTW. Hope you had a great Christmas & happy new year.

Regards,

Russ... flowerred.gif

Hi Russ hi.gif - when are you poppin' in for a coffee? Had a great X-Mas and new year - but my holiday break was real short frown.gif

With JP's inventory gone (at least I am assuming it is), will Heritage's future auctions have the same magnitude of material they have in the past?

No. With no JP inventory and no inventory out there to tempt JP (which was the case with the first go-round for these books) the flood of top flight material that we've seen so far in this decade almost has to come to an end.

embarassing newbie question- what is/was the deal with JP?

Here's an extremely truncated version.

JP= Jay Parrino AKA JP The Mint. A whale of a coinee who got into comics at the beginning of the decade. With the "help" of some comic insider advisers he spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on funny books, betting that it would be extremely lucrative to be an early adopter in the big money coinee invasion of comics. That invasion never happened so out he went.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With JP's inventory gone (at least I am assuming it is), will Heritage's future auctions have the same magnitude of material they have in the past?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. With no JP inventory and no inventory out there to tempt JP (which was the case with the first go-round for these books) the flood of top flight material that we've seen so far in this decade almost has to come to an end.

I vacillate between agreeing with the opinion you've stated and the contrary. While it seems that the supply of good material has a limit, it also seems like now is the right time to cash out - between the audience commanded by Heritage Galleries auctions and the current hyper-inflation circumstance. No one knows what the future will hold, but we know that today people are paying stupid money for books in circumstances where this makes no sense.

Good point, a lot depends on whether people decide to "cash out". I think we are seeing some of this right now. Even JP could be seen as "cashing out" . Sure, he looks like he lost a bundle, but maybe he is considering the loss he took as small compared to what he could have lost since there is always the time value of money. Also, with the high grade Marvel set on Pedigree, Spiderman run on Metro, and most current Batman and Captain Marvel coming up on CLINK, seems like a lot of interesting material for people to try and pick up. But I also wonder if this hurt Heritage since they are being sold through other venues? I guess I will see what the summer brings for new material and see if it starts to dry up.