• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BATMAN AND THE MONSTER MEN

66 posts in this topic

Is this a great series or what?!

I went to my LCS for the first time in two months and picked up the first two issues. Great art and a good story so far. It's nice to see the return of Batman's first nemesis (Professor Hugo Strange).

Anybody else reading this? popcorn.gif

Is this a great series or what?!

I went to my LCS for the first time in two months and picked up the first two issues. Great art and a good story so far. It's nice to see the return of Batman's first nemesis (Professor Hugo Strange).

Anybody else reading this? popcorn.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I'm really enjoying it.

For those of you that did not know, this series is a retelling of the Golden Age story that appeared in Batman #1. That story also had Hugo and the "monster men".

I concur with eveyone else, this new book has been an excellent read. thumbsup2.gif

For those of you that did not know, this series is a retelling of the Golden Age story that appeared in Batman #1. That story also had Hugo and the "monster men".

I concur with eveyone else, this new book has been an excellent read. thumbsup2.gif

There was an advertisement in Detective #37 for the Monster Men story in the next issue. But because they changed #38 to introduce Robin, the story was included in Batman #1.

Similar to the first Joker story being moved from Detective #40 to Batman #1.

In all honesty, this is a "wait for the trade" situation. It's a great, solid read, that's only six issues long. (Yes, I'm aware there's a second 6-issue mini that will follow).

Trinity did quite well as a hardback, but individually it was just an okay seller. I suspect Monster Men will do the same.

It's also coming out right in the midst of intense interest in the main DC books due to Infinite Crisis, and in the superstar creator driven All Star line. It doesn't take a lot to see it's just not going to get that kind of attention because it's a stand-alone creator driven story.

How do you think it compares in quality to something like Long Halloween or Dark Victory? Because to me this is right up there. Ie, best Bat story of the year.

If it were 12-issues instead of 6 would that make it any more or less likely to be a wait-for-the-trade type situation?

Just curious,

Marc

You know what this book reminds me of? The new Conan series from Dark Horse. Both are taking "old" stories and giving them the deluxe, modern treatment. The DH Conan will take a story that was one issue in the 1970s version and give it two issues with lots of interesting new stuff. Same here. EG, we've already learned more about Julie Madison in Monster Men than we did in all her GA appearances.

Marc

Well, I prefer Matt Wagner's artwork to Tim Sale's so I'm obviously biased in favor of Monster Men. That being said, I stopped Monster Men with issue 2 to "wait for the trade" so I haven't read enough to declare it the next classic Batman story, but I have faith enough in Wagner to think it probably will be.

The one thing I'll give Long Halloween and Dark Victory is that those were both original works, while Monster Men is an expanded and revised adaptation of the Hugo Strange story from Batman #1 (while the second mini deals with the Joker story from Batman #1). I sort of know what I'm going to get with Monster Men.

And Wagner's story WAS originally to be a 12 issue mini, called Dark Moon Rising. DC made the decision to split it into two 6-issue minis. I don't know why, but I would assume that it had something to do with repackaging the material for the trade paperback market. DC doesn't like to reprint 12 issue minis as a single volume anymore. Recently they've divided longer stories into two trade paperbacks (such as the Jim Lee Batman and Superman arcs, as well as New Frontier) to double their sales and get product out faster.