• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BATMAN AND THE MONSTER MEN

66 posts in this topic

Kevin, I thought I remember the second Wagner arc was going to be based on the Monk story from Detective 33? Wasn't there also talk of a third arc, if so, that would be a good place for the Joker re-telling. Though I have to say, that's been done so many times it is hard to see what Wagner could bring new to that party.

Kevin, I thought I remember the second Wagner arc was going to be based on the Monk story from Detective 33? Wasn't there also talk of a third arc, if so, that would be a good place for the Joker re-telling. Though I have to say, that's been done so many times it is hard to see what Wagner could bring new to that party.

Small point of contention from a Detective fan. The Monk story was in Tec 31-32.

Tec 33 featured the Crimson Horde, which was led by the Napoleonesque Dr. Carl Krueger. Dirigibles of Death. What a classic! laugh.gif Of course, Tec 33 also features the first (brief) origin of Batman.

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I can't wait to read more early Batman story adaptations. Especially with Matt Wagner art. thumbsup2.gif

I have to say I'm not gripped by this series as much as I hoped. It's solid, but not terribly exciting. Of course, I view any Wagner Batman project as a delay in putting out Mage III, so I guess that's my own problem. But what I do like is the rate at which it's coming out. Seems like only 3 weeks between issues. So rare for a mini-series to come out on time anymore, let alone be ahead of a monthly schedule.

How many times have you read the Hugo Strange story from Batman #1? I read that thing a ton of times in glorious oversize Famous First Edition style as a nine-year-old and man, it rocked. So I'm thrilled with this series. In fact, if I could have any page of original art, having the final page with the panel of Batman squinting down the gunsight would be a good choice.

I think this series does differ from my Conan analogy in one way. The new Conans are richer tellings of something that was already fairly detailed. Ie, there were the original stories, then a full comic treatment in the 1970s that still feels pretty modern. But Batman and the Monster Men only have very short stories as inspiration, ones that were about as crude as it gets. So I see Monster Men as only "inspired by," not a retelling.

Marc

How many times have you read the Hugo Strange story from Batman #1?

Not yet. More Batman Archives arriving soon. popcorn.gif

[i've only read (and re-read) Archive #1.]

Same here. I'm re-reading the 1st Detective Archive (always forget if that's Batman or Dark Knight, would have to see the book, which is on my nightstand right now). I just finished 'Tec 37 last night, and saw the ad for the "Man Monsters" in next month's issue. Knowing that Robin was the story in #38, I wondered if that got bumped to Batman #1 (I had read that the original #38 was bumped to Batman, so I figured this must have been it). And also wondered if this was related to the Monster Men mini that's out now. Maybe I'll pick it up.

The advertisement in Detective #37....

1090184-Tec37_manmonsters.JPG

Issue #4 due out today. grin.gif

Very cool ad Norinn!

I've been reading this series and agree it's very good. Will be picking up #4 today! thumbsup2.gif

I don't know, but as someone said, it's coming out at a good clip. It may just be my perception but it seems like I've been waiting forever for Conan: Knights of Khitai #4. (Which also came out today.)

I'm not sure about buying copies for resale value since it seems the series still has no buzz at all.

I'm off to read my copy of Monster Men #4 now!

Marc