• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Prices – What’s The Future?

76 posts in this topic

I agree completely with the assessment that the Internet in general and eBay and searchable dealer databases in particular have made collecting SA completely boring, for me at least. It used to be exciting in the late 80s and early 90s for me to search for nice copies of SA at shows. I still love the books, but they are simply way to plentiful and easy to purchase now. The hunt is half the fun. Common GA can also be too easy to find these days. It's only the really scarce stuff that interests me now.

The price is high but not insane. Easily one of the best superman covers and tough to find. A 5.0 did sell on ebay fro $1500 in November. I remember watching both auctions, since this book is high on my want list. I think the 5.0 was signed...

The price might not be insane, but it's highly optimistic. The seller was the only person willing to pay $1025 in an open eBay auction just two months ago. To expect a 50% return on his investment so quickly, especially on a book with tan to off-white pages, is a bit unrealistic.

The price is high but not insane. Easily one of the best superman covers and tough to find. A 5.0 did sell on ebay fro $1500 in November. I remember watching both auctions, since this book is high on my want list. I think the 5.0 was signed...

The price might not be insane, but it's highly optimistic. The seller was the only person willing to pay $1025 in an open eBay auction just two months ago. To expect a 50% return on his investment so quickly, especially on a book with tan to off-white pages, is a bit unrealistic.

I agree, however, as I've seen so many times on eBay, all it takes is one buyer, and the guy has made a sale,.. there have been books that have reached double, triple the prices I thought they would get, usually the ones I'm bidding on.. frown.gif

I agree, however, as I've seen so many times on eBay, all it takes is one buyer, and the guy has made a sale,.. there have been books that have reached double, triple the prices I thought they would get, usually the ones I'm bidding on.. frown.gif

....Action #12 in 3.0 unslabbed- $2500 last November....! I recall that raised some eyebrows.

I agree that the PQ on the Action is poor enough to put off those who'd normally consider that #40.

I'm think that this seller will own the book for a while. Does anyone know how many Actions have army tanks on the cover?

at the 4-figure price range, I certainly hope they do!

Even PointFive (who collects alot of 0.5 material) pays alot of attention to PQ.

Geez Matt, don't go starting rumors that all my GA comics grade .5! For the record, only a handful do, the coverless ones or the ones missing a story centerfold. I never buy books that look Poor (i.e. fugly, torn-apart or water-damaged books). Even a fella on a budget has his standards!

Back to the PQ thing: If a book has tan or brittle pages (often synonymous), I will pass. I always want a GA book to be readable. But light tan or better, and I'm well pleased. If you collect 1939-1942 GA comics on the cheap, statements to the effect of "geez, too bad about the cream pages, they really kill this book" don't come out of your mouth too often. 27_laughing.gif

If you collect 1939-1942 GA comics on the cheap, statements to the effect of "geez, too bad about the cream pages, they really kill this book" don't come out of your mouth too often. 27_laughing.gif

There are many more flaws than cream pages that don't bother me when it comes to pre-1942 comics. Coverless pre-1942 comics are cool, so any evidence of a cover is better than that.

at the 4-figure price range, I certainly hope they do!

Even PointFive (who collects alot of 0.5 material) pays alot of attention to PQ.

Geez Matt, don't go starting rumors that all my GA comics grade .5! For the record, only a handful do, the coverless ones or the ones missing a story centerfold. I never buy books that look Poor (i.e. fugly, torn-apart or water-damaged books). Even a fella on a budget has his standards!... If you collect 1939-1942 GA comics on the cheap, statements to the effect of "geez, too bad about the cream pages, they really kill this book" don't come out of your mouth too often. 27_laughing.gif

Sorry, Jon- record amended! My point was that your standards generally include PQ better than tan.

It would make me happy if CGC would also rate the color of the interior cover stock.The presence of tanning on the interior of the cover is as important or more so to me than the page quality.Unless it's brittle of course.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

It would make me happy if CGC would also rate the color of the interior cover stock.The presence of tanning on the interior of the cover is as important or more so to me than the page quality.Unless it's brittle of course.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Jimbo, my friend, you took the words right out of my mouth. I am actually a little nervous to crack a few CGC books I have because I am sure the interior covers are going to be tan. I care a ton about the interior covers and they are at least as important as the pages themself.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

and, now it's on CLink for $1500. Why he didn't just lower his opening bid/BIN to $1175 on eBay first I have no idea... would have been the same cash to him.

Maybe I'll bid $600 on it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif... smile.gif

I agree also, but I sometimes wonder if it's just us collectors on these boards, who really even consider page quality, I wonder how many non-board members take PQ into consideration. confused-smiley-013.gif

Page quality is the most important factor for me when considering buying a lower grade book.

I agree also, but I sometimes wonder if it's just us collectors on these boards, who really even consider page quality, I wonder how many non-board members take PQ into consideration. confused-smiley-013.gif

Page quality is the most important factor for me when considering buying a lower grade book.

I totally agree with you John,.. although I was wondering if non-CGC forum members are as astute.. or if they just make their purchases based on the front and back covers only... confused-smiley-013.gif