• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Who is on the committee anyway? Or is that a big secret?

The NOD committee membership isn't and never has been a secret. It always been there on the website clear as day for anyone to see...except apparently you.

Just because someone doesn't hand you info on a silver patter doesn't mean there's some secret involved...

Jim

Really? Where on the website does it tell me who the "at least four members" are who review books prior to inclusion in the Gallery of Disclosure? I know Masterchief is one of them, but he's not an Executive Committee member. So no, it isn't clear who is making these judgment calls, nor is it clear what experience or knowledge they do or do not have.

Just because someone doesn't hand you info on a silver patter doesn't mean there's some secret involved...

Jim

foreheadslap.gif

you mean like if a book has been pressed or not? poke2.gif

No money is changing hands with Scott's ignorance of who's on the NOD committee...

Now if Scott was a NOD member and wasn't being given the info, that's another matter entirely. But then again Scott would rather slam the organization rather than join and try to effect change...

It's like he used to say on this very Forum, all people were doing is yelling on high without actually doing anything constructive to make our views known. Now that we have, he's now doing exactly what he was accusing us of...

Jim

Jim

foreheadslap.gif

No money is changing hands with Scott's ignorance of who's on the NOD committee...

are you sure about that?

27_laughing.gif

yeah i know. just thought it was a funny juxtaposition is all

Jim

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

Really? Where on the website does it tell me who the "at least four members" are who review books prior to inclusion in the Gallery of Disclosure? I know Masterchief is one of them, but he's not an Executive Committee member. So no, it isn't clear who is making these judgment calls, nor is it clear what experience or knowledge they do or do not have.

I don't know either...I thought you were talking about the NOD committee. I assume it's the NOD committee and MasterChief...

Jim

I don't know either...I thought you were talking about the NOD committee. I assume it's the NOD committee and MasterChief...

Jim

You're in the NOD (and a former committee member), and YOU don't even know who is making these judgment calls about other people's property on behalf of the organization? foreheadslap.gif

Jim

You're in the NOD (and a former committee member), and YOU don't even know who is making these judgment calls about other people's property on behalf of the organization? foreheadslap.gif

The key is whether I care...I don't so as a result never asked. That's the NOD's deal and expect that the NOD committee are vetting this info.

And frankly, unless you show me some evidence that you've become a restorer or some semblance relating to checking for resto, I think they have as much cred in this department as you...

Jim

Okay,

I have a question. Hopefully I'll get an answer and not get lost between beotch slaps.

( I sometimes think people simply like to fight for the sake of it, therefore I am starting a live forum cage fighting event at San Diego this year. All are welcome.)

Seriously though. Pressing. I am a little unclear on what we are arguing about. I personally have no problem with a book getting flattened in a stack or having a pile of bricks dropped on, etc.

What does worry me a bit is having a book taken apart, exposed to heat (somebody quoted me a number that scared me a little bit), don't remember if there was humidity involved, and then put back together. My fear isn't that the book has been altered in its appearance but rather that it's staples have been stressed, it has been exposed to a pretty good lick of heat and then the staples are stressed back together. Not to mention the spine has been compressed. I know the arguement is, that's nothing that didn't happen to it when it was printed so it shouldn't harm it now but to put it in context my grandfather used to be able to run 60 years ago, (when many of these goldenage books were printed), If he tried it now he'd probably break his legs. My point is, even the best copies of these books are old. Even new metal staples can't be flexed very much and I would assume that the paper has settled in to it's shape over the years. It just seems like taking it apart and exposing it to heat and compression may cause damage. I would be interested to see if page quality deteriorates quicker on pressed books rather than unpressed books, this being my greatest fear. If nothing happens fine, if there is a problem, I sure would like to know which books were taken apart and pressed so I could avoid them. I don't think anybody pro or anti pressing has taken the time to look in to this thoroughly, if they have I am sorry but my question is simple, does pressing ever hurt a book? If the answer is yes even once then I will maintain my viewpoint of not wanting to see books pressed in the disassembly manner.

As a not so fond of pressing type person let me say that,

I have no problems with people who like pressing or don't care and I certainly wouldn't call you a name or think less of you because of our different views. My chief concern as a collector and amateur dealer is the health of my books so I hope you can understand the views of people like me who worry about the long term effects of pressing. Please note I am NOT a member of NOD and I probably will never be. Frankly I just don't like people telling me how to run my business. (Unless it's the government. then I'll do whatever you say).

Jim

foreheadslap.gif

Now if Scott was a NOD member and wasn't being given the info, that's another matter entirely. But then again Scott would rather slam the organization rather than join and try to effect change...

It's like he used to say on this very Forum, all people were doing is yelling on high without actually doing anything constructive to make our views known. Now that we have, he's now doing exactly what he was accusing us of...

Jim

I don't see how you can view my comments on the Gallery (which I supported with detailed explanations coupled with factual observations) to be anything other than constructive feedback to make it more accurate. I think the Gallery is a GOOD idea in principle -- but ONLY if the guys making the calls have the knowledge and restraint to ensure that they are being accurate and not including books on the Gallery that are "maybes" at best. On most of the books the guys got right. I have no problem with those and that is where the real value of the Gallery lies as a teaching tool. But when you are given information that shows you guys missed some calls and that information is ignored, that is the problem I have with it. It is frustrating to me, and they aren't even my books that you've smeared by including them in the Gallery! Imagine how the owner of the Fighting Yank would feel if he saw his book included in there, despite the fact that there is no evidence in the second scan that anything was done to the book.

Jim

The key is whether I care...I don't so as a result never asked. That's the NOD's deal and expect that the NOD committee are vetting this info.

And frankly, unless you show me some evidence that you've become a restorer or some semblance relating to checking for resto, I think they have as much cred in this department as you...

Jim

Well, thankfully, I am not seeking your approval. I am not a restoration professional, but I have done enough and learned enough over the past several years that my restoration knowledge is sufficient for me to feel secure in the calls I make. As for whether the other Gallery committee members have more knowledge, maybe they do. Who are they? Let's find out.

I think the Gallery is a GOOD idea in principle -- but ONLY if the guys making the calls have the knowledge and restraint to ensure that they are being accurate and not including books on the Gallery that are "maybes" at best. On most of the books the guys got right. I have no problem with those and that is where the real value of the Gallery lies as a teaching tool.
Perhaps there should be two galleries. One a "maybe/unsure" confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't see how you can view my comments on the Gallery (which I supported with detailed explanations coupled with factual observations) to be anything other than constructive feedback to make it more accurate. I think the Gallery is a GOOD idea in principle -- but ONLY if the guys making the calls have the knowledge and restraint to ensure that they are being accurate and not including books on the Gallery that are "maybes" at best. On most of the books the guys got right. I have no problem with those and that is where the real value of the Gallery lies as a teaching tool. But when you are given information that shows you guys missed some calls and that information is ignored, that is the problem I have with it. It is frustrating to me, and they aren't even my books that you've smeared by including them in the Gallery! Imagine how the owner of the Fighting Yank would feel if he saw his book included in there, despite the fact that there is no evidence in the second scan that anything was done to the book.

Good lord...I think we may actually agree on something... 893whatthe.gif

But with that said your history in slamming NOD is well-known so maybe your comments weren't taken seriously. I honestly don't know but can definitely see that scenario happening...not trying to slam but you definitely have a way of rubbing people the wrong way.

If your questions are valid then they should be explored and, if right, the comic description in question should be amended...

Jim