• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Now, Now Brad. Bill should be careful not to open the door to his closet but he is entitled to his opinions.

Me, I'm personally waiting for the Bill clears his conscience thread like the one Dan wrote.

27_laughing.gif

I thought that is what this was.............

About Us: Mission Statement

Our definitive statement that defines to others the intended purpose and the ultimate goals of The Network Of Disclosure.

The Network of Disclosure is a group of comic book dealers and collectors, who have pledged to disclose any form of restoration or enhancement, known to exist, on a comic book in their possession or placed by them for sale. Our objective is to create a safer and more open environment for those buying and selling comic books. By publicly sharing this type of history of each of these books with our fellow collectors and prospective customers, we seek to foster both a greater level of confidence and sense of security within the marketplace.

Just thought I'd post the NOD's mission statement since there is a lot of misconception to what the NOD is all about.

It's not just about pressing. It's about ANY form of restoration or enhancement known to exist on a comic book (which also includes dry cleaning).

To say that the NOD views pressing as bad is the type of misinformation that I frankly would think offends a fair share of the members who make up the NOD. If you look at the membership list, you will find those that actively press books as well as those who have no problems whatsoever with owning and buying pressed books.

We're (the NOD members) a group of individuals who all have different personal opinions on such topics as pressing, dry cleaning, etc. but have a common interest in disclosure of such enhancements.

If that's the case, you guys need better PR, as I'd bet that if you asked 100 people in the "industry" what the NOD was, the overwhelming majority of people who had heard of NOD was would say it was an anti-pressing organization.

Well you remember what happened last time they tried to hire a PR Director.... foreheadslap.gif

Speaking of the Gallery of Disclosure and deceptive practices, the Gallery of Disclosure contains quite a few mistakes (including false positives) which I pointed out at least twice on the boards, plus again in an email to an NOD member. I notice that none of the mistakes have been corrected. Am I surprised? Nope. I guess at this point, the "deception" apparent in the Gallery is intentional?

Scott -

This is unfair and untrue and you know it. The people putting together the NOD Gallery of Disclosure have worked hard to vet every example. We strive for accuracy and fairness and there is no deception involved.

If I recall correctly, you questioned TWO examples (out of 19 case studies) with which you disagreed. Hardly a "Gallery of Deception." I can't find the two examples in the linked thread, but if you PM them to me I will submit them to review and pull them if appropriate. NOD will listen to feedback, but we are not going to pull cases based on your opinion alone. And if you made your comments in a more constructive manner, as opposed to trying to embarass and discredit the organization, we probably would have been more receptive the first time you made them.

I understand that you have personal issues with Mark Zaid. Fine. But don't attempt to torpedo an entire organization of honest people and besmirch their hard work because you have an axe to grind with one person.

Please. My comments were made in a constructive manner when I made them. And even if (assuming for the sake of argument) they had not been, you guys still owe it to your viewers to take any feedback seriously anyway and see if you made a mistake.

Who is on the committee anyway? Or is that a big secret? I would like to know what qualifications and expertise your committee members have to be making these judgment calls about other people's books.

I think it is clear who is on the committe after reading this thread.....

It's hard to believe that this thread could have gotten uglier than its first incantation, but it has.

Thread Summary: Those that think you should be happy with on the label, not ask any questions and shut up vs the cult of nobodies who would like to know if their 9.6 used to be a 9.0 plus a $30 press job.

The irony is that the big money players would would rather sweep everything under the carpet are the ones with the most to lose when their top census books are dilluted by manufactured high grade books. But I suppose it would take long term vision to adopt that view. And who needs long-term vision when the cotton is high today?

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see how a person is defrauded if they buy a book in a universal label with an extremely high grade for a price they are happy with. I just don't. So, the fraud argument doesn't hold water with me, and many others.

Tell that to Jason Ewert's customers, some of whom probably still have no idea (and may be in for a surprise if they ever try to sell).

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see how a person is defrauded if they buy a book in a universal label with an extremely high grade for a price they are happy with. I just don't. So, the fraud argument doesn't hold water with me, and many others.

Tell that to Jason Ewert's customers, some of whom probably still have no idea (and may be in for a surprise if they ever try to sell).

Hmmmmm...

Let's see.. comparing trimming to pressing. Now there is a fair analogy

Well you remember what happened last time they tried to hire a PR Director.... foreheadslap.gif

NOD doesn't hire anyone. It is an all-volunteer organization.

Thanks for clarifying, I just remember the oddball that volunteered to be the Marketing or PR Director didn't do NOD any favors.

And for the record it is not NOD that I have a problem with. Mark Zaid can tell you that. It is some of its members.

What's clear after reading this thread is that YOUR stock has taken an Enron like dive.

Why is that? Because I pointed out the hypocrisy of Brad and. to a lesser degree, his supporters? I didn't know I had stock. Just opinions and experience in the hobby, and life.

What's clear after reading this thread is that YOUR stock has taken an Enron like dive.

Perhaps it has with you,but I like his moxie.His original point,which everyone seems to digressing from, is spot -on,in my opinion.It had nothing to do with pressing,it was about taking one person to task while absolving someone guilty of much worse things,based not on facts,but relationships.

Now,I will sit back while Brad comes up with some clever deflection about me being upset about the Yankees getting swept.

a book in a universal label with an extremely high grade for a price they are happy with

Who said anything about pressing, trimming, or any other restoration/conservation/alteration/manipulation? Just because CGC says something doesn't mean everyone else has to accept it. They may have a high amount of credibility, but they aren't the exclusive authority. They're just a business.

Why is that? Because I pointed out the hypocrisy of Brad and. to a lesser degree, his supporters? I didn't know I had stock. Just opinions and experience in the hobby, and life.

Because you came out like an attack dog and took some pretty wide swipes while trying to get to Brad.

In regard to Brad, there is nothing new here. You opened old wounds for no apparent reason other than to go after the guy. I may not agree with every stand Brad takes, but I know him to be a decent human being. I suppose he has flaws, but so do we all.

He didn't deserve the bashing and by extension you got a few shots in at NOD. I expected better from you as you always seems like a live-and-let-live guy.

Perhaps it has with you,but I like his moxie.His original point,which everyone seems to digressing from, is spot -on,in my opinion.It had nothing to do with pressing,it was about taking one person to task while absolving someone guilty of much worse things,based not on facts,but relationships.

Now,I will sit back while Brad comes up with some clever deflection about me being upset about the Yankees getting swept.

isn't this what normally mitigates one's response to someone doing something wrong? do you treat friends and strangers the same? does anyone?

i just do not understand

Who is on the committee anyway? Or is that a big secret?

The NOD committee membership isn't and never has been a secret. It always been there on the website clear as day for anyone to see...except apparently you.

Just because someone doesn't hand you info on a silver patter doesn't mean there's some secret involved...

Jim

Just because someone doesn't hand you info on a silver patter doesn't mean there's some secret involved...

Jim

foreheadslap.gif

you mean like if a book has been pressed or not? poke2.gif

Why is that? Because I pointed out the hypocrisy of Brad

So, have you read this entire thread now, Bill? Or just up to the part that prompted your original post and the current discussion. I read this whole thing when it was new and saw Brad take a beating over and over from many people and with basically no support. It's been done and starting it up again and what has followed has lowered my opinion of you.

taking one person to task while absolving someone guilty of much worse things,based not on facts,but relationships.

But why now? What's the point?

Here I agree with you. Met fans have such an inferiority complex that they must get joy when the Yankees lose. The difference is that Yankees fans don't even pay attention to the Mets. devil.gif

If we are talking about CGC holdered books, why should a book that isn't pressed be worth more than a book that is? I know emotionally one response would be "well, it's untouched, virgin, unmanipulated", but intellectually explain to me why two books in the same grade with the same defects, paper quality etc. should be worth different prices. To me, they aren't.

There's nothing emotional about it...you've answered your own question here. I don't like resto...never have and likely never will. I much prefer the unmanipulated comic for the sole reason it is a "virgin" copy that hasn't been pressed, color-touched, trimmed, or anything done to enhance it structure or appearance. That's my preference...

Jim

My stategy didn't backfire at all, I knew you would come on out and show us all, yet again, what an unconscionable muck-raker you truly are. Well done!

Oh! I almost forgot another one of your inaccuracies, you said the whole pressing debate was at an all-time low and now it is my fault for bringing it back to the surface. Check your sig line, you drag it with you wherever you go.

(And Tim, I AM the happy-go-lucky guy I always was. But everyone gets filled with righteous indignation once in a while)

Muckracker is my middle name. I love guys like you. You're represent exactly what is wrong with the hobby. I absolutely love it.

Have you clicked on my sig yet? Try it. You might learn something.