• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.

Some people believe that pressing is bad, some don't. Even if you don't believe pressing is bad, can you not understand that some people (rationally or irrationally) do believe it's bad and simply accomodate the desires of those people to know whether it's been pressed or not?

Whether or not I care that eating pork is wrong, if I know someone's religion prevents them from eating pork, I'm going to try to warn them that there is pork in their food rather than simply decide for myself that because I think there's nothing wrong with eating pork, I'm not going to warn him (unless he asks me first) because if eating pork is fine for me then it should be fine for him too. Why? Because it's simply the decent thing to do knowing that they think it's a big deal, and it doesn't hurt me in any way to do so.

Here's the problem with your argument... I don't eat pork, but i don't expect random people to inform me that whatever it is I'm about to eat contains pork... thats my choice, so its my responsibility to ask about what I'm about to eat confused-smiley-013.gif A chef in a restaurant isn't going to come running out of the kitchen to tell me my food has pork in it... i have to ask, and i believe the same goes for pressing... if i really care about what I'm about to purchase, i should take it upon myself to ask questions about it... its my responsibility confused-smiley-013.gif

not trying to pick at you, just saying flowerred.gif

Mmm...pork cloud9.gif

Here's the problem with your argument... I don't eat pork, but i don't expect random people to inform me that whatever it is I'm about to eat contains pork... thats my choice, so its my responsibility to ask about what I'm about to eat confused-smiley-013.gif A chef in a restaurant isn't going to come running out of the kitchen to tell me my food has pork in it... i have to ask, and i believe the same goes for pressing... if i really care about what I'm about to purchase, i should take it upon myself to ask questions about it... its my responsibility confused-smiley-013.gif

i think the analogy worked as far as explaining different views on disclosure... not necessarily on how pressing affects condition and how that in turn affects price, but I'm not going to argue about it. confused-smiley-013.gif

And i'll take the liquor remark as a joke thumbsup2.gif

It's a good analogy.

What if the food you buy was packaged with a large blue CPF (certified pork free) inspection lable, and you're paying a premium due to that labeling? Is it your responsibility to ask if it's really free of all pork?

Most consumers wouldn't know or think to ask, something those gaming the CPF process could bank on. There may be larger profits in fluffing certified pork-free products with undisclosed types of pork.

They just say it isn't about pressing it is about disclosure. They need to show me what is so wrong with pressing that I NEED to disclose it. I hope that makes sense, if not call me and I will try to explain better.

Yes, it makes sense, and I would look at it like this: There is value added to a transaction that is hidden from one party, making for an economic imbalance. A book gets pressed from a 9.2 to 9.8 and sold to me for 3x the price. For argument's sake, let's say the difference is $500. Well, I could have bought the book as a 9.2, had the pressing done myself - I think $40 was the figure thrown around - and had a 9.8 a lot cheaper. The fact that pressing is a viable business model suggests that the value added by pressing is greater than the cost, and based on some numbers in this thread, the difference may be extremely high. Maybe it's irrational, but most people in that situation who later find that a book was pressed are going to feel that they got jobbed.

Would someone value 2 9.8s, one pressed, and one not, the same? Don't know, but I would value a 9.2 a lot higher when I consider it 'pressable' and a 9.8 (pressed or not) a lot lower because I could buy a 9.2 and have it pressed instead of paying the multiple. In a rational world, buyers would bid down 9.8 prices proportionally to the likelihood that high-grade books are pressed lower-grade books, cutting into the high-grade multiples and thinning the margins sellers earn by pressing. Maybe that will happen, but who ever said this market was rational?

This is all purely hypothetical from my POV, as I'm a small-timer and an utter nobody. I highly doubt I'll be buying any pressed books soon. But it's an interesting economic mental exercise.

This is the most concise and clear response to my point so far. And it gets to the heart of the argument. So let me add some more fuel to the fire. If we are talking about CGC holdered books, why should a book that isn't pressed be worth more than a book that is? I know emotionally one response would be "well, it's untouched, virgin, unmanipulated", but intellectually explain to me why two books in the same grade with the same defects, paper quality etc. should be worth different prices. To me, they aren't.

It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.It is about pressing. If pressing weren't viewed as something bad there would not be anything to disclose.

Some people believe that pressing is bad, some don't. Even if you don't believe pressing is bad, can you not understand that some people (rationally or irrationally) do believe it's bad and simply accomodate the desires of those people to know whether it's been pressed or not?

Whether or not I care that eating pork is wrong, if I know someone's religion prevents them from eating pork, I'm going to try to warn them that there is pork in their food rather than simply decide for myself that because I think there's nothing wrong with eating pork, I'm not going to warn him (unless he asks me first) because if eating pork is fine for me then it should be fine for him too. Why? Because it's simply the decent thing to do knowing that they think it's a big deal, and it doesn't hurt me in any way to do so.

Mmm...pork cloud9.gif

cloud9.gif

I got an overwhelming craving for a BLT just now. See you guys in a few.......

headbang.gif

I know emotionally one response would be "well, it's untouched, virgin, unmanipulated", but intellectually explain to me why two books in the same grade with the same defects, paper quality etc. should be worth different prices. To me, they aren't.

Because one was manipulated to be a 9.2 or 9.6 or 9.8 or whatever and those defects that were pressed out are still present!

You cannot change the damage to the paper fibers just the appearance of the fibers.

And why should I pay $1 or $1000 more because of that manipulation?

They just say it isn't about pressing it is about disclosure. They need to show me what is so wrong with pressing that I NEED to disclose it. I hope that makes sense, if not call me and I will try to explain better.

Yes, it makes sense, and I would look at it like this: There is value added to a transaction that is hidden from one party, making for an economic imbalance. A book gets pressed from a 9.2 to 9.8 and sold to me for 3x the price. For argument's sake, let's say the difference is $500. Well, I could have bought the book as a 9.2, had the pressing done myself - I think $40 was the figure thrown around - and had a 9.8 a lot cheaper. The fact that pressing is a viable business model suggests that the value added by pressing is greater than the cost, and based on some numbers in this thread, the difference may be extremely high. Maybe it's irrational, but most people in that situation who later find that a book was pressed are going to feel that they got jobbed.

Would someone value 2 9.8s, one pressed, and one not, the same? Don't know, but I would value a 9.2 a lot higher when I consider it 'pressable' and a 9.8 (pressed or not) a lot lower because I could buy a 9.2 and have it pressed instead of paying the multiple. In a rational world, buyers would bid down 9.8 prices proportionally to the likelihood that high-grade books are pressed lower-grade books, cutting into the high-grade multiples and thinning the margins sellers earn by pressing. Maybe that will happen, but who ever said this market was rational?

This is all purely hypothetical from my POV, as I'm a small-timer and an utter nobody. I highly doubt I'll be buying any pressed books soon. But it's an interesting economic mental exercise.

This is the most concise and clear response to my point so far. And it gets to the heart of the argument. So let me add some more fuel to the fire. If we are talking about CGC holdered books, why should a book that isn't pressed be worth more than a book that is? I know emotionally one response would be "well, it's untouched, virgin, unmanipulated", but intellectually explain to me why two books in the same grade with the same defects, paper quality etc. should be worth different prices. To me, they aren't.

Your last sentence is the crux of the situation. To you it's not...but to others it obviously does. You as the seller should be more concerned with what your customers possibly ARE concerned with.

Why will some pay a little bit more for white pages over OW/white? Same grade. To many it doesn't matter, yet to some it does.

those defects that were pressed out are still present!

You cannot change the damage to the paper fibers just the appearance of the fibers.

I think you need to prove this before you state it as fact. It is my understanding that some creases do indeed rend the paper fibers. These cannot be pressed out. But small indentions, waves, ripples etc. do not alter the structure of the paper fibers yet are downgraded by CGC. It is the manipulation of these types of defects that is the core of this discussion. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Your last sentence is the crux of the situation. To you it's not...but to others it obviously does. You as the seller should be more concerned with what your customers possibly ARE concerned with.

Why will some pay a little bit more for white pages over OW/white? Same grade. To many it doesn't matter, yet to some it does.

I AM concerned, that is why I am asking. Page quality is something different, and I certainly would prefer White over off/white. I think most would. That is why it is right there on the label. But I am asking WHY others would value two books in the same grade, with the same paper quality, differently. I am sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but I would really like to know.

I AM concerned, that is why I am asking. Page quality is something different, and I certainly would prefer White over off/white. I think most would. That is why it is right there on the label. But I am asking WHY others would value two books in the same grade, with the same paper quality, differently. I am sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but I would really like to know.

OK....Dealer X hands you two identical copies of the same book. Both CGC 9.6, both white pages. Same centering etc....

One is untouched, virgin copy. The other, he tells you, is a pressed copy.

Same price. Which do you take?

OK....Dealer X hands you two identical copies of the same book. Both CGC 9.6, both white pages. Same centering etc....

Whichever looks nicer!

I think you need to prove this before you state it as fact. It is my understanding that some creases do indeed rend the paper fibers. These cannot be pressed out. But small indentions, waves, ripples etc. do not alter the structure of the paper fibers yet are downgraded by CGC. It is the manipulation of these types of defects that is the core of this discussion. If I am mistaken please let me know.

27_laughing.gif It has been a long time since I had my text books handy or direct access to my science professor.

Perhaps you should prove that no structural damage has occured before I prove some has.

Hey . . . how ya doin'? How's our friend Arseman? 27_laughing.gif

And btw, what does this have to do with some lawyer's disbarment? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and as long as I have your attention insane.gif What do you think about the business model of buying HG CGC slabbed books, cracking them out, doing whatever it takes to "improve" them, re-slabbing, and then re-selling them for a tidy profit? Is it lucrative? Or is the field already too crowded? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks in advance,

-d

Whichever looks nicer!

foreheadslap.gif They look identical.

27_laughing.gif It has been a long time since I had my text books handy or direct access to my science professor.

Perhaps you should prove that no structural damage has occured before I prove some has.

Good point.....I wish someone with the answers would respond.

Whichever looks nicer!

foreheadslap.gif They look identical.

Exactly! Then why should I care which one I pick. They are both the same.

Exactly! Then why should I care which one I pick. They are both the same.
So everyone should disclose since there's no harm no foul. Agreed. thumbsup2.gif

Speaking of the Gallery of Disclosure and deceptive practices, the Gallery of Disclosure contains quite a few mistakes (including false positives) which I pointed out at least twice on the boards, plus again in an email to an NOD member. I notice that none of the mistakes have been corrected. Am I surprised? Nope. I guess at this point, the "deception" apparent in the Gallery is intentional?

Scott -

This is unfair and untrue and you know it. The people putting together the NOD Gallery of Disclosure have worked hard to vet every example. We strive for accuracy and fairness and there is no deception involved.

If I recall correctly, you questioned TWO examples (out of 19 case studies) with which you disagreed. Hardly a "Gallery of Deception." I can't find the two examples in the linked thread, but if you PM them to me I will submit them to review and pull them if appropriate. NOD will listen to feedback, but we are not going to pull cases based on your opinion alone. And if you made your comments in a more constructive manner, as opposed to trying to embarass and discredit the organization, we probably would have been more receptive the first time you made them.

I understand that you have personal issues with Mark Zaid. Fine. But don't attempt to torpedo an entire organization of honest people and besmirch their hard work because you have an axe to grind with one person.

Please. My comments were made in a constructive manner when I made them. And even if (assuming for the sake of argument) they had not been, you guys still owe it to your viewers to take any feedback seriously anyway and see if you made a mistake.

Who is on the committee anyway? Or is that a big secret? I would like to know what qualifications and expertise your committee members have to be making these judgment calls about other people's books.

In any event, I cut and pasted my observations on the four (not two) books for which I had comments into a PM for Brent, who asked me for the information. Two of the books have restoration mistakenly attributed to them, one of them has restoration you guys missed, and the last book was one where you had ambiguity in your description that didn't need to be there.