• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Grading

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has a very opinionated view about the evils of grading, and after reading a column he posted about it I now have my own reservations. I had intended on getting a few books graded, but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to know what everyone here thinks.

Here's a link to the column: http://www.silverbulletcomics.com/news/story.php?a=1125

Thanks!

Interesting article. Of all the "conspiracy theories" I've heard on here lately, I hadn't heard the accusation of price fixing.

It sounds as though the author is a bit biased against slabbing to begin with, so I'm not sure if I would call this a balanced objective article. Still, always informative to hear anothers opinion.

first off, welcome to the boards.

as far as that "Op-Ed Piece" - there's so much hyperbole and incorrect information in just the first three paragraphs that i stopped reading.

obviously the author has an axe to grind - and an agenda - and anyone who uses that article as a sole point to decide to get a book graded or not needs to educate themselves a little more

I couldn't even finish reading that junk. It is the same arguement I have heard before. For some reason people who do not want to grade their comics are often incapable of just not sending them. Instead they have to not send them, and then tell the world why they should also not send them. And what the heck is this?

"Back in the day, grading was a subjective art form. We used an old ratty and worn out Marvel Comics grading guide, and the Overstreet Price Guide to get the info from, and argued till someone gave in if there was a problem. Usually our comic shop guy was the overriding authority, and would settle any disputes with a fair hand and a discerning eye. I have found this to be true pretty much wherever my wandering has taken me. This is not only comic tradition, it’s also fun! It’s part of what makes comics interesting and unique among the various collectibles to be found out there. But as they say, that was then, and this is now."

How is it fun arguing grades with a comic shop guy? If they are the overriding authority, that means I lose out. I find it "fun" when my grade is the one agreed upon, not his.

Seems like more of the same old battle cry -- "Comics are for reading!"

Yes they are and 99% of the time there is no need for slabbing. But who is honestly going to settle into the Lazy-Boy with a bowl of popcorn and thumb through their Action #1? Would you like more salt with your $600 ASM #14? Slabbing does make sense in the case of big dollar books where there is a high risk of overgrading, hidden resto., etc.

The writer also argues that the process is difficult, and "Joe Normal" has to "jump through hoops."

Huh? confused.gif

What's so tough about going to a website, filling out a form and mailing it in with the books? Who are these people that think that they MUST submit through their LCS?

The irony that I usually find is that those that complain the most about CGC are the types of collectors that would NEVER buy an expensive book in ANY case. So, why do they really care?

Seems like more of the same old battle cry -- "Comics are for reading!"

Yes they are and 99% of the time there is no need for slabbing. But who is honestly going to settle into the Lazy-Boy with a bowl of popcorn and thumb through their Action #1? Would you like more salt with your $600 ASM #14? Slabbing does make sense in the case of big dollar books where there is a high risk of overgrading, hidden resto., etc.

The writer also argues that the process is difficult, and "Joe Normal" has to "jump through hoops."

Huh? confused.gif

What's so tough about going to a website, filling out a form and mailing it in with the books? Who are these people that think that they MUST submit through their LCS?

The irony that I usually find is that those that complain the most about CGC are the types of collectors that would NEVER buy an expensive book in ANY case. So, why do they really care?

I like slabs. I get the best ones done cheap because they are modern and I keep the lower end ones for readers. For us, its the thrill of the hunt trying to obtain all 1-30 GI Joes in 9.8.

As a newcomer to these boards, I have been reading a lot lately and this thread seems to be as good a place as any for my questions. If the questions have been previously addressed, (which they probably have), point me in the right direction and excuse the distraction.

Questions: When one buys a comic with the Blue label, what are the reasonable expectations? What assumptions can be made? Any? Are they the same now as when CGC opened its doors? Can I reasonably expect that the comic has not been tampered with?

I ask these questions as I lack experience in this new age of collecting "slabbed books". Are the benefits still worth the cost, and risk?

Help with the education is very much appreciated.

Russ

As a newcomer to these boards, I have been reading a lot lately and this thread seems to be as good a place as any for my questions. If the questions have been previously addressed, (which they probably have), point me in the right direction and excuse the distraction.

Questions: When one buys a comic with the Blue label, what are the reasonable expectations? What assumptions can be made? Any? Are they the same now as when CGC opened its doors? Can I reasonably expect that the comic has not been tampered with?

I ask these questions as I lack experience in this new age of collecting "slabbed books". Are the benefits still worth the cost, and risk?

Help with the education is very much appreciated.

Russ

CGC books are graded tougher than the grading of yesteryear. They seem to be the best at spotting restoration and its nigh impossible to crack a book out without knowing it. Others here dont like the slab idea, but i do. Im sure youll hear the flip side soon enough.