• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC Javitz comic con vs. NY National comic con

17 posts in this topic

How do you think the NYC Javits Center show (Feb 24th - 26th) will be compared to the last two NY area comic cons. I think they were the "national shows", which in my opinion were pretty crappy.

What can someone expect from the Javtiz show that would be any diffrent the the Nationals? Just trying to figure if its really worth going or not.

Thanx!

How do you think the NYC Javits Center show (Feb 24th - 26th) will be compared to the last two NY area comic cons. I think they were the "national shows", which in my opinion were pretty crappy.

What can someone expect from the Javtiz show that would be any diffrent the the Nationals? Just trying to figure if its really worth going or not.

Thanx!

If you've ever been to some of the bigger shows like Chicago, San Fran, or San Diego, the Javitz show is supposed to be comparable.

I'm surpised to hear you guys speak so poorly of the National.. The only place I've heard such harsh criticism has been on this board by a select few. Maybe it takes the security of a sense of anonymity to express oneself or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough... If you guys have such strong feelings about how the show could be better please take the time to discuss them with me. I'd love to hear what you have to say and hopefully we can all take part in improving what is the official NYC comic convention.

Brian

201-861-1414

brianschutzer@yahoo.com

i think the approx 200 booths/displays (exclusive of artists alley) on the floor plan is a good indication that this'll be a pretty big show................

and of course with my Collection of Marvels on display at TVComics, how can it miss?? grin.gif27_laughing.gif

Ok, i know some of you are saying "enough already" - but don't worry, only another month of this to bear with................. blush.gif

i think the approx 200 booths/displays (exclusive of artists alley) on the floor plan is a good indication that this'll be a pretty big show................

and of course with my Collection of Marvels on display at TVComics, how can it miss?? grin.gif27_laughing.gif

Ok, i know some of you are saying "enough already" - but don't worry, only another month of this to bear with................. blush.gif

You must have put a downpayment on the new S500. wink.gif

I have never been to the larger coimc cons, only to the two NY nationals in the past 6 months. Maybe these are stupid question, but please bear with me as I am new to the comic con scene.

1. Will Marvel & DC (among other companies) have booths set up?

2. Will there be multiple fanboys dressed up in costume?

3. How will it compare to the San Diego show or the Paradise Comics show I hear so many good things about?

Thanks!

I've been to the National twice in the last four years, and I'm glad it exists. Although to me, a regular Big Apple show and The National in Nov. overlap too much in terms of dealers and talent so that going to one show is just like going to another. The National just doesn't have that 'event' feel that a bigger show should have. Maybe I'm jaded because I'm local to NYC and can go to these shows whenever without much planning ahead and since there are several BA's run each year, I maybe take them for granted a bit.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the new Javits show to see what else can be done with a comic show in NYC in a much bigger space with different organizers. Fresh blood and energy, and all that, nothing against BA per se.

I'm surpised to hear you guys speak so poorly of the National.. The only place I've heard such harsh criticism has been on this board by a select few. Maybe it takes the security of a sense of anonymity to express oneself or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough... If you guys have such strong feelings about how the show could be better please take the time to discuss them with me. I'd love to hear what you have to say and hopefully we can all take part in improving what is the official NYC comic convention.

Brian

201-861-1414

brianschutzer@yahoo.com

I think you are taking my comments as a criticism of you or the event, when I am more referring to the dealers at the shows. Every show I go to, it's essentially the exact same dealers with the same books for sale. I'd like to see a little more variety from show to show- but the show itself is organized fine. No offense was intended.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian

201-861-1414

brianschutzer@yahoo.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are taking my comments as a criticism of you or the event, when I am more referring to the dealers at the shows. Every show I go to, it's essentially the exact same dealers with the same books for sale. I'd like to see a little more variety from show to show- but the show itself is organized fine. No offense was intended.

Hey Brian,

Check the attitude. Anonymity does nothing except get you honest answers, which should be food for thought. poke2.gif

The show is a solid good. As a native New Yorker, I've often hoped that someone would eventually organize another NYC show (after the Phil Seuling and CreationCon shows) with enough grandeur to compete with SD. NYC, after all, usually does things in a grand and classy way. When the National came along, I thought it had the potential. I hoped the organizers would use the first show's success as a baseline and then relentlessly try to improve it - by bringing in even more top-level national dealers and more industry talent, and by hosting various events, similar to SD. SD is well organized and a classy production - start to finish.

The problem is that attending the National is like a glitch in the Matrix. Same old dealers, same old over-priced books that they cannot move. While the National has the potential, it simply does not have the panache of a SD - yet.

My fondest memory of attending the National was purchasing a nice GA book in the $3K range and thinking I was going to get mugged, as there was this wiry guy - in a pastel scarf and beat up old coat, with big hair (gray) - lurking and watching. I soon found out that he was the show's organizer and, after seeing my transaction, was on a mission to sell me his books (in which I had no interest).

foreheadslap.gif

Maybe a discussion with the SD organizers would be helpful.

mattbird - I wasn't offended by your comments, rather sincerely concerned about your criticism. My involvment with the show at this level is relatively recent so most of the criticisms wouldn't pertain to anything I have been involved in. I truly want to help make the show realize it's full potential and every piece of information and even criticism is valuable. Thanks so much for your comments! You have definitly given me something to think about.

learnedhand - I assure you there was no intention of attitude in my comments. Sorry if they rubbed you the wrong way. You make a very interesting point. Doing a show in NYC is hard for a lot of dealers who don't live in the area. Expenses rack up quickly. I'll definitly be thinking of some ways to make it easier for people who may have been apprehensive in the past. It's no simple task to put on an SD like show in NYC.. Even the comic-con is going to be a much smaller scale and that's with people like Reed, Geppi, etc... backing it. There are many exciting things going on with Big Apple, and lots of positive changes on the Horizon. I have been in contact with the organizers and promoters of most of the largest and well established shows in the country. I know that there is still so much that can be done with Big Apple and I am focused on taking it to the next level. I'd love to speak to you directly about your thoughts if you ever have the time.

Thanks,

Brian

brianschutzer@yahoo.com

Just out of curiousity,what makes BA shows

the "official" NY convention?

I believe much ofthe criticism of The National stems from it being in the same location as all the other BA shows,drawing about 90% of the same dealers as the other BA shows,and few panels or guest speakers compared to the other BIG shows.

I fully realize that space in Manhattan is problematic and expensive but your "National" show pales in comparison with even the typical Wizard World.

shadroch - Big Apple is the longest running active show in NYC. Although the National is always a bigger event in the variety of dealers, guests, artists, and celebritites it has been in the same venue. I agree that a change of venue for the National would help it realize it's potential and make it stand out in the eyes of attendees and negotiations are in the works.. That being said, it's a very difficult process and we can't just grap a larger more expensive venue and pass the substantial extra costs onto our dealers and attendees. I realize that the National is a different show that a Wizard show, but then again Wizard has never done a show in NYC...

We are looking at options for enhancing all aspects of the shows. That includes venue, dealers, guests, events, celebrities, speakers, and so on. Any suggestions you may have, please contact me directly. I am available to speak with anyone who has thoughts on the show.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian, we have a gaming group that has looked at running large tourneys in NYC, only to give up due to cost factors. We ended up looking at nearby non-NYC sites that are (quickly) accessible by train- you may want to check out parts of Jersey and NY within 20-30 minutes of of the city by rail as an alternate.

Hey Brian, we have a gaming group that has looked at running large tourneys in NYC, only to give up due to cost factors. We ended up looking at nearby non-NYC sites that are (quickly) accessible by train- you may want to check out parts of Jersey and NY within 20-30 minutes of of the city by rail as an alternate.

Good point. Having a show in NYC does not mean it has to be in Manhattan. Maybe there are places in the other boroughs that has the space required to put on a great show for cheaper than Manhattan?