• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What ever happened to Phil Levine

63 posts in this topic

This is totally hearsay but I believe I remember hearing something about a divorce from his wife Lenore.She had started taking over the back issue TVGuide aspect of their business.You might try doing a search on TVguide to see if you turn something up.He was always looking to trade warehouse silver for obscure 40's and 50's stuff.Worked for me.He even offered me $50 in trade to help him pack up one show but I couldn't talk my ride into hanging around.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

50k in 1987 was quite a few comics!You could still get a real nice Spidey # 1for $500 or so.I kind of miss those days when you could buy almost anything for a hundred or less.One of my favorite local shops is called Bender's Books and I remember going up the rickedy stairs to use the bathroom in the early 80's and there was a decent copy of Human Torch #2(1) on the back of the toilet.It WAS in a bag and board at least.One thing about Phil,he definitely knew which books were tough.I bet he could write a book.In fact,that's something that I'd like to see is a book that has ten or so autobiographies by some of the more reknowned dealers of yesteryear.I'd buy a copy.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I don't get the 'yeah ok' graemlin.

Otherworlds is Joe Serpico. I have no trouble believing he sold 50k worth of comics dude in 1987.

I remember selling him a decent sized colletion I had back in 1987, for about 50k I bought a house short there after with the money.

yeahok.gif

I don't get the 'yeah ok' graemlin.

Otherworlds is Joe Serpico. I have no trouble believing he sold 50k worth of comics dude in 1987.

I remember selling him a decent sized colletion I had back in 1987, for about 50k I bought a house short there after with the money.

yeahok.gif

Maybe it was more to the buying a house for $50k confused-smiley-013.gif

$50,000 was an awful lot of money back in 1987,especially if we are talking SA or more recent books.I was very sceptical when I read that as well. Now if this poster is the legendary Joe Serpico,I can believe it,but without that prior knowledge I can understand others reactions.

Phil Levines name came up recently,but I can't recall what it was in association with.I bought many of the E Nelson Bridwell estate books off of Mr Levine.Still have the Conan #1

I think his partners name was Alan Levine, if I remember correctly. For a while there, Phil was really in the loop, one of the bigger dealers in the mid to late 80's. He broke with his partner, had some other things going on with his life, and eventually left the hobby. I think he was born and raised in NY. He had come across a fairly complete collection of mid to higher grades EC's in 1988 or so. At that time, it was one of the nicer EC collections discovered.

I don't have a problem with Joe having a collection worth 50K (to a dealer), I was amazed to hear that Phil was able to come up with 50K.

I still remember being at a Chicago comic-con and Phil showing Jon Warren, Fishler and I a portal publications repro King Kong poster and insisting it was an original from 1933.

I bought and sold a lot of books from Phil Levine. I had quite a few beat up EC's from the Bridwell collection that I got from him, and also a low grade MARVEL FAMILY #1 from the Bridwell collection. I googled him about a year ago, and a recent article popped up about a guy buying a High Grade MAD #1 from him within the past few years, so he might still be around. Too bad about the divorce, he and his wife seemed like a nice couple.