• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have this book restored?

14 posts in this topic

I finally found this nice attractive copy of Superman 17 with white pages. I don't have the book yet - still owe some $$, but was interested in having the tape removed. The book is very well preserved, and the tape has yet to really damage the paper, so I thought I'd talk to Tracey Heft about removing it. Bottom line is, there's no easy way to do it without the whole disassembly/clean/press job, and he also offered to fix the tear on the top edge. I've been assured that the structural integrity of the paper would be maintained, and total cost would be about $325. I'm thinking it would come back somewhere in the 8.0 range, but I'm not excited about the extent of work it would take. So my options are:

A) get the resto done and have the tape removed

B) Take my chances with the tape inevitably ruining that part of the cover

Seems like a pretty straightforward decision, but I'm pretty averse to resto, anyone have any opinions?

1080489-Superman17fcwo.JPG

1080489-Superman17fcwo.JPG.33e0218a26dea51ed729e585cf4af1ee.JPG

The tape will eventually become highly acidic and turn the paper under it brown and brittle. That won't be removable without cutting out the affected areas and replacing the paper. My suggestion would be to have the tape removed now or soon.

I finally found this nice attractive copy of Superman 17 with white pages. I don't have the book yet - still owe some $$, but was interested in having the tape removed. The book is very well preserved, and the tape has yet to really damage the paper, so I thought I'd talk to Tracey Heft about removing it. Bottom line is, there's no easy way to do it without the whole disassembly/clean/press job, and he also offered to fix the tear on the top edge. I've been assured that the structural integrity of the paper would be maintained, and total cost would be about $325. I'm thinking it would come back somewhere in the 8.0 range, but I'm not excited about the extent of work it would take. So my options are:

A) get the resto done and have the tape removed

B) Take my chances with the tape inevitably ruining that part of the cover

Seems like a pretty straightforward decision, but I'm pretty averse to resto, anyone have any opinions?

I have read about certain tape removal techniques that do not involve removing the cover. One involves the use of a poultice to prevent the spread of solvent beyond the tape repaired area. The other involves the use of an upside down glass container that has been rinsed with solvent and then placed over the tape. The fumes from the solvent permeate the carrier layer and soften the adhesive. Once the carrier (the acetate plastic layer of the tape to which the adhesive sticks) comes loose, the remaining adhesive itself can be removed mechanically and through the additional, localized application of solvent with Fuller's Earth (a kind of clay) surrounding the tape stain to prevent the solvent from bleeding outside of the tape area. I've only read about this though. I haven't tried it, so I have no idea how effective the Fuller's Earth is at preventing the spread of solvent.

Depending on whether there is tanning on the cover, if you apply solvent locally, you may get solvent tidelines that make it obvious that solvent was applied. It is to avoid these tidelines that most restorers will want to just remove the cover and give the entire thing an even solvent bath.

All that said, I think tape should always be removed. Once the adhesive becomes cross-linked, it will stain badly and then will be virtually impossible to remove. It will also embrittle the paper. Just my two cents though. There are plenty of people who hate restoration so much that they believe that you should just leave the tape there. Personally, I view scotch tape as the worst kind of amateur restoration (because it is a destructive repair technique) and see no problem with professionally repairing the amateur repair damage.

Did Tracey say the book might come back 8.0? That would frankly surprise me, unless he was going to do a lot more than remove the tape, fix the tear at top, and clean/press.

No, but why do you think that? There's not a whole lot else wrong with the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

I had Tracey remove tape from the entire spine of my Batman 1 (it is one of the books featured on his wesite). He did a great job and is pretty skilled at tape removal.

One of my main concerns is the potential to lose the feel/gloss of the cover, how did yours turn out?

Did Tracey say the book might come back 8.0? That would frankly surprise me, unless he was going to do a lot more than remove the tape, fix the tear at top, and clean/press.

No, but why do you think that? There's not a whole lot else wrong with the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

I see a lot of creasing, not all of which would be eliminated by pressing. Remember, CGC is very tough on restored books. I used to own a slight(P) Supes #17 8.0, and looking at it you would've thought it was at least a 9.0.

I see a lot of creasing, not all of which would be eliminated by pressing. Remember, CGC is very tough on restored books. I used to own a slight(P) Supes #17 8.0, and looking at it you would've thought it was at least a 9.0.

That's why I wasn't going higher. You're right about pressing, it's a crapshoot - but if the creasing comes out, there aren't many other defects to knock it down. I guess anywhere in the 7.0-8.5 range, but it'll never see a slab. I just read my Supes 14 again tonight, and I'll probably read this one several times as well. thumbsup2.gif