• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day

46 posts in this topic

What did everyone think of Free Comic Book Day? I spend a couple hours this morning looking at several local stores. I enjoyed talking to people about the X2 movie and comics. I also looking at some of the 80's back issues I used to read.

Even for free, new comics are over-priced. 893frustrated.gif

shocked.gif

Yep...I missed it 2 years in a row! Storage space is more important than free comics at this time! 893frustrated.gif

Except for comics about serial killers, eh? ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif

shocked.gif

BTW....is that issue going to available to the masses or just the priviledge few? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Free Comic Day was great! Got (2) copies of the Bark's Donald Duck Reprint, (1) Batman Adventure's, and (1) USM #1.

I went to two shops in my area. My main shop gave me the 2 extra books. And I have a comical story about what happened at the second shop I visited. But, I've been up since 6:30am on Friday and am about to crash! I'll post the story tomorrow, or perhaps if Chrom gets online before I do, he can post it from my PM. Later all!

Chris

I spent the day on Long Island and stopped by a couple of stores. Did not seem as big as last year.One store had a small sign saying come in May 3 for a free comic.Hadn't been in the store before but didn't seem like many new people. No one even asked if I needed any help. The other store -Best Comics- was much more crowded and seemed to be trying to reach out to the new faces.Whatever comics they gave me went to the closest kid. wink.gif

Even for free, new comics are over-priced. 893frustrated.gif

That;s a staggeringly cynical statement. I thought several of the free books were quite good.

Here's a VERY good sign - was at Cards Comics & Collectibles today and there were TONS of kids there reading the free stuff.

there is good stuff out there... and plenty of it. I thought free comic day was more of a success in my area and enjoyed picking up a few of the free books... there weren't a ton of non comic book people there though... a couple who just got out of the x-men movie who heard about through friends...

Just got home after a VERY long day...

I had six employees working today, including one whose sole function (other than the occasional housekeeping) was to track who came in.

Attendance at the shop:

Males:

<15...... 102

16-30.... 135

31-50 .... 56

51+ ...... 12

Females:

<15 ...... 37

16-30 .... 71

31-50 .... 33

51+ ....... 18

Total Head Count: 464

65.7% Male

34.3% Female

30% under 15

6.5% over 50

We gave away a total of around 1600 comics. We offered 3 per adult and 6 per child for most of the day. Later in the day I let the kids take up to 14 (which was all the titles that were age-appropriate). We gave away 19 different titles in all. Many adults declined taking more than one, even if offered...

We also gave away cookies (from the local Subway), and ran little contests througout the day for some extra promo posters that we just didn't have room for.

Sales for the day were better than triple an average Saturday. There were 263 transactions on the register, but many of those were people who bought a couple things, then wandered around, then came back to buy some more. All told I would guess that 140 different people spent money...

The most popular book BY FAR was the Donald Duck, which I am sure the folks at Gemstone will be pleased by. I don't know how strong the market will be for the $7 price point, but clearly there is A LOT of demand for Disney stuff. The Robocop book was incredibly successful, which surprised me. Slave Labor, Peanutbutter and Jeremy, 100% Guaranteed, and Dork Storm were all very well received. Demand was surprisingly flat for the Ult X-Men, Archie, and Leave it to Chance. Biggest disappointment was Rocket Comics, which several people complained wasn't about rockets... I had to laugh, but what are you gonna do...

We did head counts every half hour of folks in the store, and it averaged 22 at any given time. BY my math, that means the average person was in the shop for just under 23 minutes. Many retailers complained last year that it seemed like people were doing 'drive-by's for the free comics. We didn't have that at all... Now, as to how much of that was due to the cookies, music, and Halloween Goth Princesses, I just don't know... smile.gif

As to whether the event was profitable for the store, even with the direct expenses (around $460 for the "free" comics, another $100 for the promo posters and buttons and postcards and such, plus a fair amount in extra labor) the event nearly paid for itself the same day. Ask any business if they would be happy with a promotion that pays for itself the same day... Diamond intends to do a better job tracking residual benefits this year. I will be interested to see that data...

All in all... I am one tired puppy... but I have to say. This year was even better than last year...

My local shop had ALL back issues (except stuff on the back wall) at 99 cents per issue if it was originally under $5, and half price if it was over $5. So I cleaned them out of Ultimates, and got a bunch of junk Daredevils to finish my run to 300, and got the ASM 275 Hobgoblin for 99 cents, etc.

As to whether the event was profitable for the store, even with the direct expenses (around $460 for the "free" comics

You mean the comic book shops and not the comic book company or suppliers had to buy the "free comics"? CHRIS

I read the start of this thread and realized that I'd missed free comic book day (I don't go to the shop very often -- just when I need more bags and boards for the ones I'm selling).

Around 8pm, I ran to 7-11 and noticed that the comic shop was still open. So I decided to drop in. It was obviously too late for crowds, but while I was waiting for my bags and boards, I noticed two little boys come in. I asked the clerk if he had any free comics left and he pointed to a table that had about 5 titles on it. I walked over, told the boys it was free comic book day and their faces lit up. "All the comics?" one asked. "Just the ones on the table" both the clerk and I said in unison. Not quite as happy, but still stoked, they looked them over. I grabbed a Batman Adventures (the only DC) and saw both boys grab an ultimate x-men.

The younger boy ran to the car with his comic and the clerk couldn't find my silver age bag and boards (special order) so I watched the other kid look at various books in the bins. He was very intense. The smaller kid ran back in on a mission -- someone in the car wanted a comic. He grabbed the extra comic and another for himself (different title). I asked the clerk if it was okay for the boys to get more than one (thinking I'd give him my free one if it wasn't) and the clerk said to take as many of the free titles as they wanted. He told me I could, as well.

So I grabbed an ultimate spider-man (to see what you guys are talking about) and a Disney comic (to see what the guys in the GA section are talking about).

I left without my bag and boards (turns out the special order didn't come in) but with free comics. Yay!

Bottom line: at that time, 33.3% of customers were female and 66.6% were kids. Not your average average. It felt good.

-- Joanna

Joanna,

What was the free Disney book you got? Does it say anything about the

new line of Disney comics that is starting up?

(And, if you're reading this tonight, you're up too late again!)

Joanna,

What was the free Disney book you got? Does it say anything about the

new line of Disney comics that is starting up?

(And, if you're reading this tonight, you're up too late again!)

I'm always up too late.

I got one with a Carl Barks story, Maharajah Donald or something of that nature. I just finished reading all of my free comics. It's been a long time since I read comics, and it was a ton of fun. The WD book was great. And yes, it was heavily pushing the new comics. Gave you a coupon to subscribe, gave release dates, etc. They sound quite expensive to me, though. A square bound for $6.95, a smaller book (sounded more like a paperback) for $7.95 and a comic for $2.95 (I think). Anyway, I hope it goes well for them.

-- Joanna

A big shout to Chrisco to go out and get me my free Bark's Donald Duck Reprint smile.gif

I had to wake him up, get him sober and remind him what day it was, but I finally got him out of the house and into the comic shop.

Of course once there, he started a row with another customer 893naughty-thumb.gif but I'm letting him tell you that story...

A big shout to Chrisco to go out and get me my free Bark's Donald Duck Reprint smile.gif

I had to wake him up, get him sober and remind him what day it was, but I finally got him out of the house and into the comic shop.

Of course once there, he started a row with another customer 893naughty-thumb.gif but I'm letting him tell you that story...

Well, I just read mine, so if you need it I can send it to you. I just wanted to read the books. Unless hkp needs it -- he gets first dibs because he's the reason I picked it up (I've seen a lot of his posts in the GA section).

-- Joanna