• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got my first pieces framed !!!

19 posts in this topic

I decided that since they were never going anywhere, and I had a perfect size frame from something I sold, laying around that I would give it a shot and see how it looked. I took my pieces, to my regular framer and see what he came up with. Well I was really impressed. So was he, he said of all the stuff anyone has ever brought in, that these were the "greatest things he had ever seen". So much so, that he only charged me forty bucks for the matting and threw his labour in for free.

I took everybodys advice and didn't frame them with the actual production pages. LMK what you think.

IM001037.jpg

Jim

Only one problem...OA (that I want) will only come up every now and then, the comics will fill the void when the collecting bug bites me smile.gif

On a side note, from what I can discern, the "big guys" collect one or the other, but rarely both....is that a fair assessment?

Jim

Only one problem...OA (that I want) will only come up every now and then, the comics will fill the void when the collecting bug bites me smile.gif

On a side note, from what I can discern, the "big guys" collect one or the other, but rarely both....is that a fair assessment?

Jim

I'm not a big guy, but since I started collecting OA seriously about 18 months ago, it has almost completely taken over. But honestly, I think I enjoy the comics I do buy now more (I'm reading now more for story, etc. rather than collectibility). Its nice to have the one of a kind nature of OA (and have it on your wall - it brings smile to my face several times a day) combined with not having to worry about the fascination with items in pristine condition that ruled most of my earlier collecting.

I decided that since they were never going anywhere, and I had a perfect size frame from something I sold, laying around that I would give it a shot and see how it looked. I took my pieces, to my regular framer and see what he came up with. Well I was really impressed. So was he, he said of all the stuff anyone has ever brought in, that these were the "greatest things he had ever seen". So much so, that he only charged me forty bucks for the matting and threw his labour in for free.

I took everybodys advice and didn't frame them with the actual production pages. LMK what you think.

Jim

That looks Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

-Hart

Jim

Status ('Big Guy' . . . 'Little Guy', etc.) is irrelevant, and it's all down to personal choice - according to what satisfies your own collecting interests. Be true to yourself.

For myself, I no longer feel inclined to pay big bucks for vintage comic-books. A good reprint edition is fine for my needs (I want to read the books, paw them - and not encapsulate them in a slab). The only comic-related collectible I place on a pedestal is OA . . . not some mass-produced book.

My CAF Galleries:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat1865

I found that I had to make a choice between slabs and art. I still buy comics, only in trade form. I don't have the desire for collecting in as much as just reading.....

You got a tremendous deal on the price of framing. I spend about 125 on uv glass, frame, matting and labor...which is why I only have about 5 pieces framed. - And only those pieces I have no desire to trade or sell later on.....

Thanks for the kind words guys. The frame and glass I had laying around, all I need was the matting (thats why so cheap). With the framing now, it truly looks and feels like a piece of art. When I just had it hanging on my wall in its bag and board, it just wasn't the same.

Jim

Thats what I meant. I guess it's a throwback phrase from my vintage Star Wars toy collecting. The prototype of a toy (equivalent to OA) and the mass produced production piece or toy (equivalent of the comic book). smile.gif

Jim

thumbsup2.gif