• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay in Trouble???

33 posts in this topic

They won't win.

If I sell restored comics as unrestored on eBay how is eBay to blame?

I'm the crook.

What if I peddled stolen goods from the back of my truck?

Can JEEP be sued because they didn't stop me? confused.gif

But does Jeep get a percentage of the sales like Ebay does? Just a thought! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think EBay is guilty of aiding and abetting such crimes. I dont see how they can get away with just looking the other way and hope th ecourts agree.

cloud9.gif Im all for it. Ive never been a fan of their customer service (cough cough)

This lawsuit interests me greatly and I will be contacting Tiffany's attorneys for a copy of their Complaint.

I have long had an interest in possibly doing something to get e-bay's attention on this very matter, and this could be it. As many of you know, these boards have repeatedly served as a warning system regarding comic book fraud. I've represented those who have been defrauded and been the victim myself. No matter how hard one tries to get e-bay involved, they want no part of it.

In consideration of possibly filing a lawsuit against e-bay regarding comics, I encourage anyone who has been defrauded or has attempted to notify e-bay of a fraudulent auction to contact me at ZaidMS@aol.com with your details and stories. Do me a favor and keep it short for now.

what's your comic lawsuit going to be about? copies of AF 15 (with stolen scans) being sold as the real deal and ebay ignoring e-mails telling them it's a fraud? famous first edition copies of action 1? would be sort of hard to hold them responsible for cleverly restored books and what not.

without knowing much about the tiffany lawsuit, i find it interesting that ebay pulls a lot of auctions for merely mentioning a certain company or product name. my wife actually had an auction for a magazine pulled because she mentioned there was an article about Botox in it. I guess the ebay computers decided she was trying to sell Botox or something.

thing is, should ebay stop people from selling legitimate tiffany stuff? how should they know? maybe for every auction mentioning tiffany or channel or vitton ebay should have a big flashing warning?

They won't win.

I'm the crook.

But does Jeep get a percentage of the sales like Ebay does? Just a thought! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

They should have some kind of fraud policing service where they work with members and law enforcement to help catch the crooks.

They won't win.

I'm the crook.

You seem pretty sure about that. yeahok.gif The lawyer at Arnold & Porter (one of the nation's top law firms) apparently thinks differently.

what's your comic lawsuit going to be about? copies of AF 15 (with stolen scans) being sold as the real deal and ebay ignoring e-mails telling them it's a fraud? famous first edition copies of action 1? would be sort of hard to hold them responsible for cleverly restored books and what not.

without knowing much about the tiffany lawsuit, i find it interesting that ebay pulls a lot of auctions for merely mentioning a certain company or product name. my wife actually had an auction for a magazine pulled because she mentioned there was an article about Botox in it. I guess the ebay computers decided she was trying to sell Botox or something.

thing is, should ebay stop people from selling legitimate tiffany stuff? how should they know? maybe for every auction mentioning tiffany or channel or vitton ebay should have a big flashing warning?

I think in many ways e-bay contributes to the fraud by closing its eyes. It deliberately seeks to minimize the ability of people to reach a live person, knowingly permits accounts to be stolen without do much about it, and so on. I've reached out several times to LIVE e-bay reps to offer them a group expertise on comics and other hobbies to alert them to fraudulent auctions so at least they might question the seller. They don't care.

I will obtain the Tiffany lawsuit to see how they actually versed their causes of action to see if it can apply to comics.

wouldnt a victory here mean a separate lawsuit for c0mics or beanie babies or whatever would be unnecessary? Does it sound like the items in this lawsuit are more important than the issues of whether CGC can merely offer a marketplace and look the other way when crimes are perpetrated on their premises??

Seems the concepts of the internet and online commerce are about to be shaped legally... its about time..

They won't win.

I'm the crook.

You seem pretty sure about that. yeahok.gif The lawyer at Arnold & Porter (one of the nation's top law firms) apparently thinks differently.

I tend to agree. They've been doing their homework and must feel they have a case to be made. Ebay shouldn't take this lightly. It could have wide ranging effects to their business practice.

In 2004, Tiffany secretly purchased about 200 items from eBay in its investigation of how the company was dealing with the thousands of pieces of counterfeit Tiffany jewelry. The jeweler found that three out of four pieces were fakes.