• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay in Trouble???

33 posts in this topic

I read in my Sunday paper that Tiffany is suing eBay because they sold counterfeit Tiffany items. The paper said that:

"if Tiffany wins, not only would other lawsuits follow, but eBay's very business model would be threatened because it would be nearly impossible for the company to police a site that now has 180 million members and 60 million items for sale at any one time" (I didnt even know they had that many people on there!!)

How bad would it be if eBay were out of commission and all the other types of marketplace sites like them?? How bad would this be for the comic dealers????

They won't win.

If I sell restored comics as unrestored on eBay how is eBay to blame?

I'm the crook.

What if I peddled stolen goods from the back of my truck?

Can JEEP be sued because they didn't stop me? confused.gif

They won't win.

If I sell restored comics as unrestored on eBay how is eBay to blame?

I'm the crook.

What if I peddled stolen goods from the back of my truck?

Can JEEP be sued because they didn't stop me? confused.gif

No...but then you didnt do the selling on JEEP's lot either... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No...but then you didnt do the selling on JEEP's lot either... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But my JEEP dealer's lot is one short block from my house on the corner.

They should be watching me with binoculars! shy.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But my JEEP dealer's lot is one short block from my house on the corner.

They should be watching me with binoculars! shy.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Since it's something we constantly discuss here, it's well worth a read. You'll laugh, you'll cry.

"At first, Ms. Rogers thought she had snagged a great deal. But when the jewelry arrived from a seller in Rhode Island, her well-trained eye told her that all of the pieces were knockoffs."

Welcome to Shyster City, Sweetheart. 27_laughing.gif

This sounds all too familiar:

For the past few months, Ms. Rogers and three women she met on eBay who are also costume jewelry buffs have banded together to track the swindlers they say are operating in their jewelry sector. "People have faith that eBay will take care of them, but it doesn't," Ms. Rogers said. "EBay has done nothing."

random thoughts after reading this article...

Contact the FBI if you have that much info on the ring that is happening?

Set up some more accts (just as bad, but if she really wants to help people what other choice does she have) and contact bidders stating the story (which she can do, by doing an advanced search)

Using said accts bid up the items, or use Buy It Now and leave negative feedback posting that these are all fakes. You know ebay isnt going to get around to removing the feedback and if they close down one or more of your accts, create new ones.

Ebay doesnt police itself, you have to...that said, I think I will just stick to things I know and not get caught up in fakes.

Cars and Electronics are another huge sore spot for ebay. I have heard story after story at my school for fellow teachers who have relatives who purchase cars, or electronics and get screwed. What would possess a person to buy a car in Florida and drive across the country to buy it essentially sight unseen is beyond me, let alone send cash to someone you don't know for this large a purchase....

rant over

There's an interesting connected thing going on in NYC right now. Landlords are being held responsible for allowing people to rent spaces out of which they are selling counterfeit items. Specifically a couple of landlords are being sued by Louis Vuilton (sp?) for letting people sell knock-off bags out of Canal street storefronts. The state courts are saying that if the landlord is aware of illegal activity going on, they can be held liable. I suppose that a court somewhere could decide something similar about Ebay if the suit was big enough. I'll leave it to the lawyers to chime in on this one.