• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze X-Men/Pheonix, post movie reaction?

76 posts in this topic

Having seen the movie and all the obvious Pheonix implications, has anyone noticed heat on X-Men #101 and up?

I don't know about anyone else, but I had no idea that Pheonix would manifest in the movie, and all the talk before hand was about Lady Deathstrike (who I though was disapointing in the movie, don't even think the name was mentioned).

So are the Pheonix books going to be a surprise breakout?

You know, they DID allude to Jean's "problem" in the first movie.

Theres a big difference between alluding to something and it taking over a whole movie.

Did anyone really suspect the whole Pheonix thing to be so big in this one?

You know, they DID allude to Jean's "problem" in the first movie.

Theres a big difference between alluding to something and it taking over a whole movie.

Did anyone really suspect the whole Pheonix thing to be so big in this one?

All smartassery aside, I really did think it was pretty obvious that they were counting on making the "Dark Phoenix Saga" the MAIN thread through the franchise. It's too huge a story to have as just a little sub-plot. But that's just me. wink.gif

I really did think it was pretty obvious that they were counting on making the "Dark Phoenix Saga" the MAIN thread through the franchise. It's too huge a story to have as just a little sub-plot

You may be right to a point, but with movie's you just can't always rely on them taking stories directly from the comic books.

Personally, I figured that the whole mutants vs. humans, monority persecution would be the hook they hung the franchise from. This angle, for me, has more far reaching cross-over appeal than the Pheonix saga, which is a big deal for long time X-fans but doesn't mean much to the general populace.

I really did think it was pretty obvious that they were counting on making the "Dark Phoenix Saga" the MAIN thread through the franchise. It's too huge a story to have as just a little sub-plot

You may be right to a point, but with movie's you just can't always rely on them taking stories directly from the comic books.

Personally, I figured that the whole mutants vs. humans, monority persecution would be the hook they hung the franchise from. This angle, for me, has more far reaching cross-over appeal than the Pheonix saga, which is a big deal for long time X-fans but doesn't mean much to the general populace.

See, and I think you're on to something there... the whole "persecution" thing has been the main theme of the first two films. Did it work as a hook? Apparently so! NOW could they springboard into something more comic-booky for the third film? They'd better! They've done both sides of the persecution issue, it's time to move deeper into the "lore" as it were. The whole "Phoenix" thing will mean much more now that the general public has a feel for the characters and what's going on in their "world."

The whole "Phoenix" thing will mean much more now that the general public has a feel for the characters and what's going on in their "world."

Ok, you've sold me.

Lets hope they make the next one really fizz and bring in the Hellfire Club (with Mastermind?? from X2) to really screw Pheonix around.

You know, the little guy in X2's name was Jason... just like Mastermind... hmmmmm.

I don't know, do you think they'll really go "Dark" or will it head in another direction entirely? Remember what Xavier said at the end of the film? Something about how he has a feeling that everything's going to be fine? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (But I would LOVE to see the Hellfire Club!)

Having seen the movie and all the obvious Pheonix implications, has anyone noticed heat on X-Men #101 and up?

I think X-Men #101 has been the hottest X-Men book for the past 9 months or so...were people speculating on the X2 tie-in or was it just coincidence? 9.6 copies are already selling for more than double what I paid for my copy maybe year or so ago...can they go higher, or is it time to "sell on the news"?

Gene

can they go higher, or is it time to "sell on the news"?

Lets put it this way, now that the cat is out of the bag, I won't be buying a CGCed copy of 101 for a while. grin.gif

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Stryker that appeared in the "God Loves, Man Kills" GN, while a very different character, also had a mutant son named Jason, so it was taken from that and not as any oblique reference to Mastermind/Jason.

Also, Xavier said everything's going to be fine after getting a quizzical expression, staring out the window and smiling. The clear implication was that although he had believed Jean was dead, he was now suddenly receiving a telepathic impression of her that indicated she would be back. That's why he was happy.

Point 1: But did Stryker's kid on the GN also have the absility to project illusions? It's been a long time since I read it, so I'm not sure on this one.

Point 2: Well Duh! grin.gif

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Stryker that appeared in the "God Loves, Man Kills" GN, while a very different character, also had a mutant son named Jason, so it was taken from that and not as any oblique reference to Mastermind/Jason.

Also, Xavier said everything's going to be fine after getting a quizzical expression, staring out the window and smiling. The clear implication was that although he had believed Jean was dead, he was now suddenly receiving a telepathic impression of her that indicated she would be back. That's why he was happy.

FINALLY this "Arnold" bum earns his keep! wink.gif

Actually, I'm ashamed to say that I've never read "God Loves, Man Kills." blush.gif

And you know what gets me about that final scene with Xavier? He was HAPPY... so are we going to see a return of "Good Phoenix" in X3 and then a turn to the darkside in yet ANOTHER future X-movie... or will she go from good to bad all in one firey swoop? I can see it going either way... particularly with the way X2 has a "serialized" feel to it.

Well just because he's happy now doesn't mean they can't all be surprised when she comes back all bad. But then she was good Phoenix for quite a while before she went dark, so I would imagine that *if* they cover the Phoenix ground in X3, they'll have her slowly descend into madness over the course of the film and serve as the main villain for the climax of the film. I just don't see them dragging that storyline out any further than the end of X3. But hey, I'm not on the prod. team so I don't know.

I *do* know I want to see some huge Sentinels filling the night sky next time a la the panel in Alex Ross' MARVELS.

I take it from Jean's soliloquy at the end (and Xavier's facial expressions) that she's still the good incarnation. Let me guess re: X-3...Sentinels, mutants face extinction, Jean saves the day but pays the ultimate price resulting in X4...

I take it from Jean's soliloquy at the end (and Xavier's facial expressions) that she's still the good incarnation. Let me guess re: X-3...Sentinels, mutants face extinction, Jean saves the day but pays the ultimate price resulting in X4...

That's what I'm thinking!

I wrote this 3 days ago in the general comics section on the x2 spoiler thread

I think they could go with a sentinels story for the next movie, not as giants but more like 10-15 foot tall bots with awsome capabilities built in.......gives Colossus a chance to throw some powerful punches and maybe he and Wolverine can perform a fastball special ,also gives a chance for pheonix to start off good to show her power with hints of changing to evil or not being able to control her power for dark pheonix for X4!

Im glad you guys are thinking ........you guys are razors! grin.gif

Did it strike anyone else as strange that poor Jean gets washed away in the flood, and all the X-Men are back in school, while her poor body is fish bait?

Not to be grim, but I'd personally seen people drown (falling through the ice) and they'd drag the river/lake for days to find the body and put it to rest. With their super-powers, you'd think the X-Men could have found it.

Now, I realize that it's important that Jean "rise like a Phoenix" in the next movie, but didn't anyone think that just leaving her there would be a tad macabre?