• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC needs to modify its slabs Please comment opinions!

120 posts in this topic

I have mentioned this on the boards before. I strongly feel that these books being submitted to CGC should be looked at by all of the senior graders. The book should be placed in a slab, that will preserve it forever. The book should not be able to be removed from the slab, without ripping it right in two. If you want to read a particular issue, do it in the archives. With all of the trimming and pressing and whatever else that has been going on recently, these truly unrestored copies are vanishing at an alarming rate. They don't make em any more. We need to take care of what few books we have left, before its too late. I would appreciate a lot of feedback from everyone. Thanks, Mike

I think that would be both an impractical and impossible thing for CGC to do. No collector is going to permanantly entomb a book. You couldn't do it if you wanted. Let them work on SCS first.

Red

I have mentioned this on the boards before. I strongly feel that these books being submitted to CGC should be looked at by all of the senior graders. The book should be placed in a slab, that will preserve it forever. The book should not be able to be removed from the slab, without ripping it right in two. If you want to read a particular issue, do it in the archives. With all of the trimming and pressing and whatever else that has been going on recently, these truly unrestored copies are vanishing at an alarming rate. They don't make em any more. We need to take care of what few books we have left, before its too late. I would appreciate a lot of feedback from everyone. Thanks, Mike

This line scares me, and would prevent me from ever slabbing a book. confused-smiley-013.gif

The book should not be able to be removed from the slab, without ripping it right in two.

Why would you want to do that? Lots of collectors buy CGC books via the internet for the third party grade, NOT because they are in a hard plastic case. It is that grade reassurance, for what it's worth, that is important. I know plenty of collectors that routinely remove CGC books from the slab as soon as they get them.

Horrible idea. You assume people who buy slabs actually want the books in there and/or don't want to read them, ever. You also assume that everything from the golden age is reprinted; most of it isn't. Of course, I'm one who "deslabs" all my books; you might not feel the same way...

This line scares me, and would prevent me from ever slabbing a book. confused-smiley-013.gif

That is the only way to protect a book. Look at the Ewert books. Eventually, an unrestored GA book is going to be nearly extinct.

I think that would be both an impractical and impossible thing for CGC to do. No collector is going to permanantly entomb a book. You couldn't do it if you wanted. Let them work on SCS first.

Red

SCS is a huge problem in my opinion. I get very emotional when I see a really high grade book from 60 years ago get damaged from being in a slab. I mean damn, the book made it all that time and here it gets damaged just so people can make more money from it. mad.gif

Then maybe the archives need to be upgraded.

Well, I'm doing my part, are you? I have 216 out of 219 MLJ titles from 1939-1948 scanned on my website. Archie has only reprinted the Shield stories from Pep 1-5, and Alan Light released Pep 1, 17 and Special Comics #1 in B&W in 1974. I would gladly pay for a "Thrilling Comics" or "Terrific Comics" archive. But they don't exist.

Red

SCS is a huge problem in my opinion. I get very emotional when I see a really high grade book from 60 years ago get damaged from being in a slab. I mean damn, the book made it all that time and here it gets damaged just so people can make more money from it. mad.gif

You mean that it gets damaged when people crack it open and go to trimming pressing color touch need I go on. I just want books, in their original unaltered condition.

Red

You mean that it gets damaged when people crack it open and go to trimming pressing color touch need I go on. I just want books, in their original unaltered condition.

Hop in a time machine, set the dial for 1940, and buy as many as you want. You seem to forget all of those things you just listed could happen to a book before it gets slabbed. What's to prevent that?

Shawn

The book should be placed in a slab, that will preserve it forever. The book should not be able to be removed from the slab, without ripping it right in two. If you want to read a particular issue, do it in the archives.

I vehemently disagree.

Then maybe the archives need to be upgraded.

Well, I'm doing my part, are you? I have 216 out of 219 MLJ titles from 1939-1948 scanned on my website. Archie has only reprinted the Shield stories from Pep 1-5, and Alan Light release Pep 1, 17 and Special Comics #1 in B&W in 1974. I would gladly pay for a "Thrilling Comics" or "Terrific Comics" archive. But they don't exist.

Thanks for doing your part. Their is no better place to help set up archives, than these boards. I am quite sure, Their is no comics that cannot be found on these boards. This would give members something constructive to do, instead of putting about 200+ pages of threads into the Doug Schmell problem. (I am aware that the Schmell problem does need to be dealt with).

Red

Hop in a time machine, set the dial for 1940, and buy as many as you want. You seem to forget all of those things you just listed could happen to a book before it gets slabbed. What's to prevent that?

Shawn

CGC needs to practice better standards, and they would have more time doing this, if people wern't cracking open slabs, and resub it.

I think a better solution would be for the slabs to be engineered so that the books can be removed safely, but anyone removing them would receive a strong electrical shock. That way, anyone who really really really needs to read the book can do so without harm to the book, but anyone who is only going to try to resub the book pays a small penalty for his actions every time. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS?!?!?!?! yay.gif

Mike I like ya. But have to disagree. At the same time I realize that you are feeling this way out of a sense of wanting to protect books away from insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

On that matter we agree. But what you are proposing will end up causing more harm than keeping the Ewerts in the world away from books.

You will have turned books into coins.

I think a better solution would be for the slabs to be engineered so that the books can be removed safely, but anyone removing them would receive a strong electrical shock. That way, anyone who really really really needs to read the book can do so without harm to the book, but anyone who is only going to try to resub the book pays a small penalty for his actions every time. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS?!?!?!?! yay.gif

You insufficiently_thoughtful_person.....that is ridiculous.... I have never heard of anything so stupid. insane.gif

What would be far more practical would be a hidden ink bomb that explodes all over the comic and the vile slab cracker. Just like the ones used on cash drops.

Whose with me on this one... yay.gifyay.gif

screwy.gif

The book should not be able to be removed from the slab, without ripping it right in two.

Why would you want to do that? Lots of collectors buy CGC books via the internet for the third party grade, NOT because they are in a hard plastic case. It is that grade reassurance, for what it's worth, that is important. I know plenty of collectors that routinely remove CGC books from the slab as soon as they get them.

I think that CGC would grade the books for them (their would have to be some changes made) and not put them in a slab.