• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC needs to modify its slabs Please comment opinions!

120 posts in this topic

Be nice Beyonder, give Comicdonna awhile to get up to speed.You have several years of posts to fall back on.

He will probably reach the same conclusion after awhile, but needs to reach it on his own terms.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Good grief. If you were even remotely serious about a slab that would TEAR THE COMIC IN HALF UPON CRACKING .....you've completely lost your mind.

Geez don't be so hard on him........I got a mate of mine currently testing to see which type of weld would be more effective on a metal slab (i.e. spot as opposed to oxy). thumbsup2.gif

I don't think that permanent slabs are for everyone, but I think that they should be offered.

I don't actually think they are for anyone, except maybe coin collectors. screwy.gif

It seems that everyone has nothing but a negative responce to this post. knowone wants to attempt to better the slab, to help prevent undisclosed and unnoticed restoration. I was willing to make an attemp, at my own cost, to try to come up with a prototype of a new slab, but I guess the best thing is to go back to the existing threads, eat popcorn.gifand listen to people whine.

To quote myself from earlier in this thread...my first post

I thought I spent a decent amount of time and energy breaking down my thoughts about your idea. And was not mean at all. You just replied to me that it was only an option to use your slab. And did not address any of the stumbling blocks I brought to your attention.

Especially the micro chamber part.

I tried.

Donna, I am not sure where to begin.

Making changes or tweaking the existing slab/innerwell are all fine and dandy.

I am ALL for the slab evolving as time and especially MONEY dictates.

But what you suggest is just not possible. You do know that CGC wants us to send in our slabs to have them re holdered to replace the micro chamber paper.So sealing a book forever will do it more harm then good.

And any slab design no matter how impervious to outside tampering is in the end a plastic case of some kind. And plastic aint hard break into.

If someone wants to crack a book and potentialize it..they are gonna do it, no matter what type of case it comes in.

I for one would not want a case that is built to "not" be opened. It only increases the odds that the book WILL be damaged upon cracking it out.

The current case design is really quite easy to open, and removing the comic inside without doing ANY harm to the book is just a matter of the right tools, and taking your time.

Making a Fort Knox holder for our books is not the answer to our current dilemmas.

This has been discussed many many times before. And as Steve B. has said many, many times..if somebody brings them a better holder design..they would use it.

They ran with the design that have.. and ordered a butload of them.

I am all for making a list of improvements and sending them to Steve and Co.

But it just is not as simple as it sounds when you consider all the different shapes and sizes of every era comic , and try and make a single prototype holder to accomodate them all. If you create/employ 10 different types of holders to suit your needs you are not going to make any money for a very long time while you recoup your initial R&D investment.

They ran with the design that they have.. and ordered a butload of them.

Tweaking them along the way. It HAS evolved, not to my overall liking..but improvements HAVE been made.

Believe me, I have spent more then a few minutes trying to think of a new slab design that would work better.

As of now..

I am at...zero

Ze-

Be nice Beyonder, give Comicdonna awhile to get up to speed.You have several years of posts to fall back on.

He will probably reach the same conclusion after awhile, but needs to reach it on his own terms.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

You're right. The last thing I would want to do is stifle new ideas.

Sorry comicdonna. frown.gif

To quote myself from earlier in this thread...my first post

I thought I spent a decent amount of time and energy breaking down my thoughts about your idea. And was not mean at all. You just replied to me that it was only an option to use your slab. And did not address any of the stumbling blocks I brought to your attention.

Especially the micro chamber part.

I tried.

Donna, I am not sure where to begin.

Making changes or tweaking the existing slab/innerwell are all fine and dandy.

I am ALL for the slab evolving as time and especially MONEY dictates.

But what you suggest is just not possible. You do know that CGC wants us to send in our slabs to have them re holdered to replace the micro chamber paper.So sealing a book forever will do it more harm then good.

And any slab design no matter how impervious to outside tampering is in the end a plastic case of some kind. And plastic aint hard break into.

If someone wants to crack a book and potentialize it..they are gonna do it, no matter what type of case it comes in.

I for one would not want a case that is built to "not" be opened. It only increases the odds that the book WILL be damaged upon cracking it out.

The current case design is really quite easy to open, and removing the comic inside without doing ANY harm to the book is just a matter of the right tools, and taking your time.

Making a Fort Knox holder for our books is not the answer to our current dilemmas.

This has been discussed many many times before. And as Steve B. has said many, many times..if somebody brings them a better holder design..they would use it.

They ran with the design that have.. and ordered a butload of them.

I am all for making a list of improvements and sending them to Steve and Co.

But it just is not as simple as it sounds when you consider all the different shapes and sizes of every era comic , and try and make a single prototype holder to accomodate them all. If you create/employ 10 different types of holders to suit your needs you are not going to make any money for a very long time while you recoup your initial R&D investment.

They ran with the design that they have.. and ordered a butload of them.

Tweaking them along the way. It HAS evolved, not to my overall liking..but improvements HAVE been made.

Believe me, I have spent more then a few minutes trying to think of a new slab design that would work better.

As of now..

I am at...zero

Ze-

Hi: Ze- I know that you were not mene. Maybe encasing a book forever, will turn out not to be the anwser. I still feel, that the key to help stop undisclosed tampering and rest is in the slab. Maybe it needs to be a solid pour on three sides, possible lined with a small coil alloy, and left open at the top, to add the book and graders notes, and make it, so that it can only be opened by CGC. Somehow, it can be done, but all that I have heard for the most part was a negative reaction.

I do not really see the plastic holder as the issue. While it may be possible to improve upon the design, I have no problem with what CGC uses.

Does CGC do a decent job of noting restoration on the current holder? Does the holder offer reasonable protection for the comic? My guess is yes. Am I wrong? true then the one real issue pressing of the comic.

If CGC can catch the trimming and color touch and other restoration, most people will not do it - Loss of $$$. Can CGC consistently catch the pressing? confused-smiley-013.gif As long as pressing is not considered restoration (by the grading company - I think this is true), some people will continue to press the comics - More $$$. It appears there is just too much $$$ involved to get folks to stop.

I would not be able to recognize a pressed 9.4 and up from a non-pressed 9.4, but I am new to this and perhaps others can.

Unless there is a consensus on this issue between the collectors and grading company, the holder being used is the least of our problems.

In my opinion.

Russ

I still feel, that the key to help stop undisclosed tampering and rest is in the slab. Maybe it needs to be a solid pour on three sides, possible lined with a small coil alloy, and left open at the top, to add the book and graders notes, and make it, so that it can only be opened by CGC. Somehow, it can be done, but all that I have heard for the most part was a negative reaction.

Let's say you are successful in your quest to create this "SUPER-SLAB". How will you prevent pressed/trimmed/restored comics from being encapsulated for eternity in the 1st place?

I'll go along with your comment about pressing. Can CGC detect Trimming? There is someone out there, that is very good at it. So, I beleive, more often that not, it is not detected. There is no doubt, that improvements can be made. And the holder is not the least of our problems. Tampering must be stopped.

I still feel, that the key to help stop undisclosed tampering and rest is in the slab. Maybe it needs to be a solid pour on three sides, possible lined with a small coil alloy, and left open at the top, to add the book and graders notes, and make it, so that it can only be opened by CGC. Somehow, it can be done, but all that I have heard for the most part was a negative reaction.

Let's say you are successful in your quest to create this "SUPER-SLAB". How will you prevent pressed/trimmed/restored comics from being encapsulated for eternity in the 1st place?

My feeling is, that with this new holder, their are going to be far less resubs. CGC will have more time to allow all of the primary graders look at each book, and then look at them again, before placing a label on it. They need to be sure.

My feeling is, that with this new holder, their are going to be far less resubs. CGC will have more time to allow all of the primary graders look at each book, and then look at them again, before placing a label on it. They need to be sure.

If this SUPER-SLAB is introduced by CGC into the marketplace....wouldn't the number of resubs be in the thousands?

I don't think that permanent slabs are for everyone, but I think that they should be offered.

I don't actually think they are for anyone, except maybe coin collectors. screwy.gif

It seems that everyone has nothing but a negative responce to this post. knowone wants to attempt to better the slab, to help prevent undisclosed and unnoticed restoration. I was willing to make an attemp, at my own cost, to try to come up with a prototype of a new slab, but I guess the best thing is to go back to the existing threads, eat popcorn.gifand listen to people whine.

I think you will find that most here are willing to make and accept practical suggestions for improvements to the CGC slab. The idea you have presented in this thread is just far too extreme, and you don't seem prepared to accept that? confused-smiley-013.gifmakepoint.gif

If this SUPER-SLAB is introduced by CGC into the marketplace....wouldn't the number of resubs be in the thousands?

In the beginning, yes. And I am hoping for a design, that would allow the book to be removed, for those that wish, but, I think that it should somehow be digitalized, so anyone can tell, how many tmes the book was removed from the holder. This would be a help to CGC as well

In the beginning, yes. And I am hoping for a design, that would allow the book to be removed, for those that wish, but, I think that it should somehow be digitalized, so anyone can tell, how many tmes the book was removed from the holder. This would be a help to CGC as well

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by "digitalized"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you will find that most here are willing to make and accept practical suggestions for improvements to the CGC slab. The idea you have presented in this thread is just far too extreme, and you don't seem prepared to accept that? confused-smiley-013.gifmakepoint.gif

On that note, I shall retire for the evening. I will be back tomorrow, to see what other ideas, questions that have popped up. GOODNITE! DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE 893whatthe.gif

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by "digitalized"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hi.gif'LL NEED TO SLEEP ON THAT.

I'll go along with your comment about pressing. Can CGC detect Trimming? There is someone out there, that is very good at it. So, I beleive, more often that not, it is not detected. There is no doubt, that improvements can be made. And the holder is not the least of our problems. Tampering must be stopped.

Let's go back to ancient times and decree that anybody caught trimming gets his hands trimmed off and pressers get squeezed until their eyes pop out of their heads..............

I will stop taking the micky out of you and just say that in reality it can never be stopped, however, we as a group can bring about a small change of our own through disclosure........when equity buyers started to rebel against taking profits from sweatshops such as Nike they didn't attempt to change the world but instead moved their monies to socially responsible funds. We can openly disclose about all the books we own and only deal with those suppliers who do the same.......

and those that don't want to don't have to........

Let's go back to ancient times and decree that anybody caught trimming gets his hands trimmed off and pressers get squeezed until their eyes pop out of their heads..............

I will stop taking the micky out of you and just say that in reality it can never be stopped, however, we as a group can bring about a small change of our own through disclosure........when equity buyers started to rebel against taking profits from sweatshops such as Nike they didn't attempt to change the world but instead moved their monies to socially responsible funds. We can openly disclose about all the books we own and only deal with those suppliers who do the same.......

and those that don't want to don't have to........

Ok Mushroom. I will take your advice, but be warned. Their are going to be a lot of collectors and dealers, that are blind with trimmed and pressed hands. hi.gif