• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks Like Ed Benes' Stock just went up....

19 posts in this topic

Yeah, right when I start thinking of buying a Benes page, everyone else thinks the same thing.

I'm assuming it's the Red Sonja piece...how much did it go for? (can't access it at work, and my 'aol' trick isn't working anymore either)

Yeah, right when I start thinking of buying a Benes page, everyone else thinks the same thing.

I'm assuming it's the Red Sonja piece...how much did it go for? (can't access it at work, and my 'aol' trick isn't working anymore either)

It is the Red Sonja page and it went for 1526.

Does anyone else find it depressing that you can get two or three Alex Raymond Rip Kirby msterpieces or a nice Krenkel piece or a few killer Decarlo pinups or pieces from a number of other artists for the price of this okay pinup. What is the hype on Benes work anyway?

Everybody has different tastes. You collect what you like - someone else collects what they like. There's nothing depressing about it.

If everyone liked what I like THAT would be depressing - because it would then be out of my price range. grin.gif

Does anyone else find it depressing that you can get two or three Alex Raymond Rip Kirby msterpieces or a nice Krenkel piece or a few killer Decarlo pinups or pieces from a number of other artists for the price of this okay pinup.

Depressing? No. People like different things. I mean, a lot of the people looking to buy something like this would probably laugh out loud if you showed them Decarlo pieces for potential purchase (less so Raymond and Krenkel- but they don't exactly have that modern aesthetic either.)

But what is the hype on Benes work? I don't really keep tabs on a lot of the recent books that have come out (I am talking the last 10 years)t. Can anyone recommend some books he has worked on? Maybe I am missing something.

I really only know him from a recent run on Superman. He's been around for a while though. I've known his name.

Ed's most known for his work on Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Superman...and there is a TON of hype for the Justice League of America relaunch that he is currently working on. Similar in fan base to Adam Hughes, he is most well known for being able to draw breathtakingly beautiful women. His popularity (and prices) have really taken off over the last year or so. He also finally cracked the "Wizard Top 10" list, due to the hype on JL of A, and that could also have something to do with the increased interest.

That Red Sonja piece still blows my mind, though...and it wasn't just one bidder. Three people threw in bids of over $1000. As his rep, I certainly hope this is not an anomaly. :-)

Best,

Court