• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool comic/science show on the "Discovery" channel.

33 posts in this topic

I'm watching a very cool show on the Discovery Channel right now. It compares the superpowers of well know heroes (Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, etc.) with modern science and how we are able to mimic them. It also talks about the very real possibility of even making super humans in the future. Anyone else watching this or seen it before? laugh.gif

Haven't seen it, but there is a book (not sure who by) that discusses something similar. It basically analyses all the most popular super-heroes and whether or not they could be scientifically possible.

The X-Men came out as the most plausible, and not only possible, but probable. shocked.gif

That sounds sort of like this show. Some of the highlights from the it are (I didn't see the whole thing):

Using spider silk technology, they created a "spider-web" rope capable of lifting something like 20,000 lbs even though it was very thin.

One scientist showed a bulked-up muscle rat that he had created in the lab. He said, with the future of genetics, it's a very real possibility that we'll be able to make a 10 foot tall, 700 pound human. He also mentioned they have the genetic technology to alter skin color......so they could even make the guy green. 893whatthe.gif

They talked about research going on that will someday be able to regenerate entire human limbs (ala Wolverine). smile.gif

They have also been able to extend the life of some insects to 2 or 3 times their normal life span. So, it's not out of the question that someday people could live to be 200 or more years old (again.....sort of like Wolverine).

Another segment talked about super-conductivity and levitation with direct comparisons to Magneto.

And, they did a part on mind control devices. One portion of that talked about a headband you can put on and control movements of objects on a computer screen with the small electrical impulses it picks up from you brain and forehead muscle contractions (which they compared to Jean Grey).

There was a lot of stuff that I missed, but thought it was pretty cool the way they were making direct comparisons to comic books and super-heroes.

The book I read also has something about green skin colour, but also that not only would Gamma rays not turn someone into a super-human but that they would grant them a horrible agonising death. Don't try this at home kids. shocked.gif

Also regarding Spider-Man they analysed all his powers to see if he really was a 'human spider'.

Spider-Sense - check

Spider Web - check

Sticking To Walls - check

Spider Agility - Apparently Spiders are not only not very agile, they are somewhat clumsy

Spider Speed - Apparently having eight legs makes it difficult to run fast (no co-ordination)

Spider Strength - Spiders are not very strong in proportion to their weight, and the scientists believed that Stan got confused with Ants (the only insect with comparable proportionate strength to Spidey).

Overall the book is a fun and interesting read. When I get the chance I'll look it up and find out who it was by etc and post the info.

Man......that sounds just like this show. I missed the first part that dealt with more on Spider-man......so they could have touched on all of that stuff.

However, they did specifically mention that being bombarded with Gamma or X-rays would have an extremely negative effect and not the one that the Hulk comic mentions.

I'd almost bet that the book and this show are connected.

Two quck questions.Where is the animation they showed from?Anyone have a tape they care to part with?I caught bits and peices of show between Lucy commercials and am hoping they repeat it. Thanks. BR

Two quck questions.Where is the animation they showed from?Anyone have a tape they care to part with?I caught bits and peices of show between Lucy commercials and am hoping they repeat it. Thanks. BR

The Discovery Channel always repeats their shows multiple times. Look for it this weekend, as they tend to do the weekday line-ups again on Saturday & Sunday daytime.

Anyone know what the show itself was called?

There is information on the BBC website about the science behind super-heroes but no information about a tv show. There isn't anything at all on the Discover channel website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/superheroes/

Kev

It was called "Superhero Science". I have it on tape, but I have no way to dupe it, sorry. I promise -- it'll be repeated. Check the listings for this weekend.

-- Joanna

Okay, I just checked the listings for this weekend and they're having a lot of mother's day specials, so it isn't repeated. Perhaps next weekend.

You lied! You lied to us AGAIN!! First you're a coin collector in disguise and now you're misleading our tv addiction! 893whatthe.gif

I found the listing:

"Pow! The Real Story of Superhero Science" (9 p.m., Discovery Channel). The science behind what it would take to be a comic book superhero is examined in this special.

No idea when it will be on again. No information on this program on the Discovery TV Website.

Kev

Okay, I just checked the listings for this weekend and they're having a lot of mother's day specials, so it isn't repeated. Perhaps next weekend.

You lied! You lied to us AGAIN!! First you're a coin collector in disguise and now you're misleading our tv addiction! 893whatthe.gif

You know, if you'd read my initial post on how shiny coins were, you'd have seen that I gave plenty of lead time to tune into the Superhero Science show. I mentioned that it was being plugged on that fascinating coin collecting documentary. You had hours to prepare, young man, but did you do it? Did you put a tape in the VCR? Huh?

I did. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif*

*This overly smug and annoying post brought to you by dental pain: "Dental pain, the ache that keeps on giving." Soon I shall be nice again for I shall seek modern dentistry and be healed!

-- Joanna

You know, if you'd read my initial post on how shiny coins were, you'd have seen that I gave plenty of lead time to tune into the Superhero Science show. I mentioned that it was being plugged on that fascinating coin collecting documentary. You had hours to prepare, young man, but did you do it? Did you put a tape in the VCR? Huh?

I did. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif*

*This overly smug and annoying post brought to you by dental pain: "Dental pain, the ache that keeps on giving." Soon I shall be nice again for I shall seek modern dentistry and be healed!

-- Joanna

I see, so this was all a clever ruse to trick me into reading your COIN PROPOGANDA more carefully, eh?! I don't think so, commie! "Collect money" indeed! All my collected money goes to feed my OTHER addiciton... tricked-out 12-speed Huffy bikes!

Just checked my Tivo... no listing for this program for at least 2 weeks

What have you done, Joanna... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!!?!??! 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

Taped the show to avoid these sort of problems?

-- Joanna

Just checked my Tivo... no listing for this program for at least 2 weeks

What have you done, Joanna... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!!?!??! 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

Taped the show to avoid these sort of problems?

-- Joanna

Damn your cool mammalian logic.