• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 19 CGC 9.9

53 posts in this topic

But, if I believe information on the boards, the CGC holder is not archival and should be changed (with the micro-chamber paper) every seven years. So a re-sub will take place if this advice is followed. If the book drops 0.1 to 9.8, the value will probably half.

They won't regrade the book when it's sent in for a new holder unless there has been obvious damage done to it. There's a difference between re-submitting a book to get it graded again, and just sending one in to get re-holdered.

I've often wondered about this. That's always a fear I think most people have about sending in the uber HGs to get re-holdered.

Anyone ever seen this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

The seller is Darryl from Silver Acre. I've had the misfortune of dealing with him in the past. It turns out that he paid $20,700 for the book a year ago and has since tried to sell it 3 times without luck. Each time he says that if it doesn't sell it will go into the vault for 5 years. I think he's trying to break even on it as he's realised he bought a wooden spoon. Not only that but it looks trimmed.

cloud9.gif

Yes, saw this quite a few times including the time it went for around $20K during one of the early big auctions. An absolutely insane price at the time and still an absolutely insane price today a few years later. screwy.gif

Can't understand why anybody would be paying this type of money for a common non-key run book. Nothing at all special about this book to warrant any type of significant premium to be paid for it. This is the exact type of book that will become more and more forgettable as the years go on.

The only possible explanation is that the purchaser must have been a label chaser and got taken in by the 9.9 grade. Absolutely crazy how some purchasers are so enamoured of CGC that they are willing to pay silly multiples for CGC's highest graded seal of approval. Have they never heard of SCS, subjectivity of grading, blue label resto slabs, etc. foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

Since this book guides for only $650, this would be the GA equivalent of paying $15 million dollars for the Church copy of Action Comics #1 if we assume that it is the highest graded copy in existence. screwy.gif

if you can tell that a book is trimmed by looking at a single scan of a slab, you are a GOD.

the rest of us mortals need before and after scans at the least

Thanks for the compliment insane.gif

I never said it WAS trimmed. I said it LOOKED trimmed. However It appears I was wrong and I stand corrected. That said, not showing the entire scan does pose the question "does this book suffer from SCS?".

This is one book where a re-sub is very risky to put it mildly.

This book is sitting in a 9.9 slab! I think the chances of someone resubbing it in the hopes of getting a 10.0 are zero, even setting aside any potential SCS defects. Perhaps people have taken the resub paranoia a bit too far!

I never said it WAS trimmed. I said it LOOKED trimmed. However It appears I was wrong and I stand corrected. That said, not showing the entire scan does pose the question "does this book suffer from SCS?".

Yep, the very first CGC book I bought off of ebay was exactly like that. The scan was cut off at the bottom and when I got it? Bottom right corner smashed. foreheadslap.gif

if you can tell that a book is trimmed by looking at a single scan of a slab, you are a GOD.

I'm pretty sure I never said that the book was trimmed. confused-smiley-013.gif

and i'm pretty sure i warn't talking to you. so there. thppbbbbt

Then reply to the person you're addressing next time. poke2.gif

Then reply to the person you're addressing next time. poke2.gif

"Quick Reply"

gossip.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

flowerred.gif

Yep, the very first CGC book I bought off of ebay was exactly like that. The scan was cut off at the bottom and when I got it? Bottom right corner smashed. foreheadslap.gif

Always ask for a FULL front and back cover scan when buying high $$$ CGC books. thumbsup2.gif