• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG JIM run sells on Comiclink

26 posts in this topic

Strong set of prices realized across the board for an exceptional set of books. The $6K for the PC JIM93 has got to be a blowaway record price. NM JIMs continue to be hot.

Any idea why a 9.4 JIM 111 sells immediately on Comiclink for $1800 whereas the 9.6 JIM 111 on Pedigree cannot attract a bid at $1750. Both have off-white pages. The latter looks nicely cut and centred but has been sitting on Pedigree for ages. I am sure it started above $2500 and the price just keeps dropping with no takers.

Alan

Any idea why a 9.4 JIM 111 sells immediately on Comiclink for $1800 whereas the 9.6 JIM 111 on Pedigree cannot attract a bid at $1750. Both have off-white pages. The latter looks nicely cut and centred but has been sitting on Pedigree for ages. I am sure it started above $2500 and the price just keeps dropping with no takers.

Alan

Nope, can't explain it, although the 9.6 being offered on Pedigree appears to be less nice than the 9.4 that sold previously for $1,500 on the site. The latter has better registration, cover colors, and page quality.

Alan

Personally, I think its a little shady. All the books went pending within half an hour of being listed. Could've been a "pre-sale", or it could be instance of someone "buying" with no intent to pay, but I doubt it was a matter of a BSD simply plucking down full coin on a run of books.

MOST OF THOSE PRICES are indeed a journey into mystery. Maybe someone with 0 comic book experience just hit the lotto and had to get rid of the money in a hurry. Apparently the books were sold at the time of listing would be my guess. I just bout a cgc 9.4 118 a couple months ago for half the price and 114 9.4 is pretty easy to find too. Hmmm? I guess those record sales will help fuel future sales though.

Exactly. $45k and full price for those books? Did we time warp back to February 2004?

Though I doubt it, the sales could be legit. I mean, you can still find the occasional boob paying full price for a new house around here....even though you can take your pick and expect $20-$30k off full asking price if you bothered to do your homework. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a number of real estate/condo sales people for clients and there has been a big drop in sales on the coast - the house across from mine was bought about 4 years ago for $600. Then sold a year and half later $775 - the owner live s in Miami and has never set foot in it and has had it up for sale for $950 for the last year! This is basically across the street from the ocean and a block from the Ponce Inlet lighthouse. Quite a few ocean/river lots just sitting now also. But yet they are building 15 to 20 giant new condos just in the Sth Daytona/Ponce area. Talk about overkill.

It might be a case of a want list customer getting first crack at the books.I've never utilized the want list feature that comiclink offers,but if it is as straight forward and professionally handled as the other aspects of their service,the quick sales wouldn't surprise me.That might be something some of us should consider(the want list).I would be curious how that would affect the sale of nicer material.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Talk about overkill.

The Real Estate market is heading into the toilet here in Florida....I think the final flush will be when the Citizens Property Insurance rate hikes for 2006 are announced in March/April. Folks in South Florida will be hardest hit, but everyone will feel it.

We are also being overbuilt in my neck of the woods. Here though, you can rent a BRAND NEW 3/2/2 $200k house for under (yes UNDER) $1,000/mth....because the market is flooded with spec homes that can't sell.

Consider the same house if purchased with 20% down, after property taxes and mandatory Citizens Homeowners Insurance, will cost you about $1,600/mth.

So, Rent for $1,000/mth....or pluck $40k down into a depreciating asset and own at $1,600/mth.

Hard choice.....

..and let's not mention what would happen if we have another active Hurricane season....

MOST OF THOSE PRICES are indeed a journey into mystery. Maybe someone with 0 comic book experience just hit the lotto and had to get rid of the money in a hurry. Apparently the books were sold at the time of listing would be my guess. I just bout a cgc 9.4 118 a couple months ago for half the price and 114 9.4 is pretty easy to find too. Hmmm? I guess those record sales will help fuel future sales though.

the #88 went for $6750 in 9.4!!!!!!!!!!!

what's a poor little 9.2 worth??

these prices do seem quite high 893whatthe.gif

Doug just listed and sold a nice batch of JIM's on Pedigree.There just seems to be an insatiable hunger out there for them 'thar thangs'.It was obvious from those covers that king Kirby sure had his heart in that series.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

sure looks like quality HG sells pretty easily! Ill have to make sure to get me some.

makepoint.gif You need to edit your posts before submitting them.

It sure looks like quality HG sells pretty easily! I'll have to make me some.

Alan

Hey Alan. This is a great example of what I've been harping about for years that seems to finally be occuring. What constitutes a 9.6 or a 9.4 in CGC's eyes doesn't always jive with what collectors see. I argued with them years ago when it became apparant that registry wasn't going to be considered and that page quality would be separate from grade. That is, cream pages could be on a NM/M 9.8. The 9.4 on Doug's site is perfectly centered and has OW/W pages. the 9.6 is OW and is slightly miscut. FINALLY, people are actually looking at the book and not the grade. When graders are having to get out 10X magnifying lenses to find flaws and overlook glaring ones like transfer stains or off centered regisrty, something just isn't right. Looks like we're heading back to grading as an art vs grading as a science. Unlike Doug, I've been opposed to CGC from day 1 although I have been in favor of third party grading. As Steve Borock told me, howevere, I'll admit I was wrong and they have "won". That said, things are changing. People are looking closely at the books not just the grade. I remember taking 2 FF Annual 2's that PCEI had graded back in the early 90's to a group of dealers at a New York show. One was structurally perfect with a horrid transfer stain and graded 90 I beleive. The other was white, no transfer stain, slightly rounded corners and if I remember an 80. Unanimously, the dealers said they would rather have the 80. Without the grades they would all pay more for the 80 and consequently sell for more. Will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

keith contarino