• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way To Store CGC Books

62 posts in this topic

There is no doubt that storing them flat is the safest storage method. Unfortunately, stacking is also the least convenient approach. For me, safety wins over convenience.

How about taking them out of the slab and placing them in a mylar with a fullback? poke2.gif

...I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have to agree with Greggy,....on it's side spine side down,...they also fit nicely in a barister type bookcase like that,...

Particularly given the problems with SCS and the books shifting around inside the holder, and banging against the sides, is it preferable to have them:

(1) In a box standing up straight?

(2) Lying flat on top of one another on a shelf?

popcorn.gif

I store mine flat, but not piled up. Actually Wal-Mart sells a plastic container that CGC slabs fit perfectly in. I have them stored in those right now.

I'm also looking into some nice wooden cabinets here in Japan that have multiple shallow drawers that would be excellent for flat storage.

I should try to get some pics and post them on here soon.

Say can you post a picture of those containers?

I forgot I had one here with me:

2005FunPics021.jpg

2005FunPics022.jpg

It's the Sterilite 12 qt. container. Costs like $2.50. You can stack about 7-10 slabs per container (I can't quite remember) and the containers can be stacked on top of one another (although, I wouldn't stack more than two on a shelf probably).

i have mine lying flat, face down, one on top of the other.

i would think that lying them on their side, spine down, would encourage the books to fold rather like a set of parenthesis - (|) - eventually.

now that i think about it, that parenthesis thing looks kind of like something else. but i can't quite put my finger on it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please don't put your finger on it, at least not on a public forum...

I store my CGC books flat. I noticed in the past that books stored vertically would, over time, begin to slip down the well and bump up against those raised areas of the slab and push the covers up slightly. These "bends" could certainly affect the grade. Beware of gravity, friends.

Dan

I so far, have a stack of 50 to 75(moderns) flat in Gold bags in boards. They are topped off by a few of my archive books. I don't intend on leaving them there for long. I have heard that double bagging in mylite with a half-back(stacked flat) seems to keep the creases down. I am seriously thinking about this or a Brick type method.

confused.gif Wha? What book? frown.gif

It was "only" a Ghosts 17 in 9.0 and I put a 2" spine rip in it. I didn't notice one of the sharp edges of the inner well after cutting the top off. 893censored-thumb.gif

dumbasch! 27_laughing.gif

just kidding. sorry to hear that.

flowerred.gif