• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspense Comics #3 - most overrated GA book in existence???

97 posts in this topic

IMO comics have a very bright future and there is MUCH room to grow for a lot of these books.

Just my $0.02

In my opinion the upward trend seems obvious but there always seems to be somebody to take the opposite side of a bet

Of course the trend to this point is obvious. It's what happens from here that is the subject of debate. But you ain't dragging me into another forecasting comic prices discussion. :sumo:

IMO comics have a very bright future and there is MUCH room to grow for a lot of these books.

Just my $0.02

In my opinion the upward trend seems obvious but there always seems to be somebody to take the opposite side of a bet

Of course the trend to this point is obvious. It's what happens from here that is the subject of debate. But you ain't dragging me into another forecasting comic prices discussion. :sumo:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the trend going forward into the intermediate future 15-20 years is OBVIOUS....onward & upwards bound !

I'm not baiting you :insane:

Remember -- the higher you bid, the more it's worth!

.... actually, the higher you bid, the more pairs of shoes you have to buy for the better half. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Remember -- the higher you bid, the more it's worth!

.... actually, the higher you bid, the more pairs of shoes you have to buy for the better half. GOD BLESS...

lol:signfunny:

Just my $0.02

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the trend going forward into the intermediate future 15-20 years is OBVIOUS....onward & upwards bound !

Mickey Mantle rookie cards are white hot despite not being exceedingly rare and despite the fact that the last several generations (and more than a few of the fans pursuing his card) never once saw him play a game.

Honus Wagner's card is worth hundreds of thousands in beat up condition more than a hundred years after the average person had any reason to know his name and long after it should have worn off that he and the card were famous for being famous.

And after the death of baseball cards has been pronounced many times.

Today, there are literally billions of kids all over the world and well below their prime earning years who love Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Iron Man, Captain America, hey, even Hawkeye. The fan base is many times bigger than it was during the heyday of the original comics themselves.

Sure, comics may crash completely across the board, affecting not only the Franklin mint 9.8 limited edition variant covers but all the way to the top books. But if that happens it will be a symptom of much bigger economic problems that are likely to be of much more concern to you than your copy of a rare and famous comic book. You'll be too busy thinking about whether to set the books on fire to ward off the hungry hoards coming after your cat.

Just my $0.02

Mickey Mantle rookie cards are white hot despite not being exceedingly rare and despite the fact that the last several generations (and more than a few of the fans pursuing his card) never once saw him play a game.

Honus Wagner's card is worth hundreds of thousands in beat up condition more than a hundred years after the average person had any reason to know his name and long after it should have worn off that he and the card were famous for being famous.

Today, there are literally billions of kids all over the world and well below their prime earning years who love Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Iron Man, Captain America, hey, even Hawkeye. The fan base is many times bigger than it was during the heyday of the original comics themselves.

Sure, comics may crash completely across the board, affecting not only the Franklin mint 9.8 limited edition variant covers but all the way to the top books. But if that happens it will be a symptom of much bigger economic problems that are likely to be of much more concern to you than your copy of a rare and famous comic book. You'll be too busy thinking about whether to set the books on fire to ward off the hungry hoards coming after your cat.

^^

I'm sure this has been added in the discussion and fits in with the movie business but there is a whole new generation of "super hero fans" being born with these movies.

Just look at the amount of kids/adults walking around in marvel / dc themed clothes.

I know for most its just "trendy" but for others they really do like the images and will pursue the story lines and look to collect these heroes in comic form.

Yes, have certainly seen a lot of DC and Marvel super hero related t-shirts and the like, but nothing with a Suspense #3 on it yet.

Wait a minute, I was just in the Bay the other week and saw men's underwear fully adorned with images of Schomburg's classic robot cover from Startling Comics #49 along with a second set with a Schomburg cover image from Startling #48. :cloud9:

Beautiful looking, but needless to say, my wife just gave me the weird look when I pick it up to take a look. :D

So maybe there is still a chance for the non-super hero classic covers to go onto themed clothes. :wishluck: (thumbs u

Just my $0.02

Which is why I primarily buy GA books because I love 'em. Investment is secondary at least for me. While I would be severely disappointed if the market bottomed out, it wouldn't be the end of the world

Which is why I primarily buy GA books because I love 'em. Investment is secondary at least for me. While I would be severely disappointed if the market bottomed out, it wouldn't be the end of the world

I collect Silver but my sentiments are similar -- though I wouldn't be disappointed in a comic book market crash. It would be far easier to complete runs.

Runaway speculator creation of mega-keys, keys and semi-keys has put some unremarkable books into the stratosphere. :sumo:

I collect Silver but my sentiments are similar -- though I wouldn't be disappointed in a comic book market crash. It would be far easier to complete runs.

Runaway speculator creation of mega-keys, keys and semi-keys has put some unremarkable books into the stratosphere. :sumo:

..... the voice of reason...... as always. GOD BLESS....

..... in the spirit of debate..... the fervor has alerted me to books that I would otherwise have overlooked........

In the many, many times we've had this debate, it's remarkable how quickly the observation that SA and GA keys are, at best, risky investments at current price levels gets distorted into the supposed prediction that comic prices are on the verge of dropping to zero. I've never heard anyone on the boards take such an extreme position.

Somehow I think that if the price of Tec 31 or AF 15 were to be 25% lower 10 years from now, my cat will be just fine. Although given her current age, she may well have departed for the great litter box in the sky by then. :cry:

..... in the spirit of debate..... the fervor has alerted me to books that I would otherwise have overlooked........

Jimbo, if you had entered that HA Suspense 3 auction with guns blazing, I hate to think where the price would have gone. :baiting:

Jimbo, if you had entered that HA Suspense 3 auction with guns blazing, I hate to think where the price would have gone. :baiting:

..... sadly, my pop shooter would have fallen several decimals shy lol GOD BLESS.....