• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspense Comics #3 - most overrated GA book in existence???

97 posts in this topic

:bump:

A blast from the past, but probably appropriate considering the Suspense 3 auction sale from last month.

Looks like there has always been a lot of ambivalence about this book, even from way back 12 years ago when the price being talked about was substantially lower back then.

Wonder if these Millennial kids will buy this book in 50 years

Me thinks not

Considering they'll be in their 70s then, probably not!

I just see no long term demand

Yeah, it's tough to say what's going to happen to comic prices long term. My guess is that even 20 years from now prices of many books will be lower than they are today. But that's a topic that has been endlessly debated ....

Me thinks not

Yeah, it's tough to say what's going to happen to comic prices long term. My guess is that even 20 years from now prices of many books will be lower than they are today. But that's a topic that has been endlessly debated ....

Action 1, 7 detective 27,29, Amazing Fantasy 15 will be fine

But some of the books are like The Big Red Cheese...Has beens

"Overrated" is tough to interpret. Sometimes it means: "People like A, but for the following reasons, they should really like B instead." Hard to know why people like what they like, but with collectibles as scarce as this one, it only takes a few people to really like something for its price to be really high.

Or "overrated" can mean: "It's popular now, but just wait ...." In that sense, you could say that the sit-com Friends was overrated. A huge hit as a first-run show, but a dud in syndication. Hard to argue that Suspense 3 was overrated in that sense either.

Will it continue to have legs? One test would be if another high grade copy (Hello, Mr Church!) were to surface. In the recent auction was bidder Number 3 close enough to bidders Number 1 and Number 2 to sustain the price? Or was bidder Number 3 pretty far down there, so bidder Number 2 would be able to buy another (say) 8.0 for considerably less than this one went for?

Me thinks not

There is no good reason, given their current prices, to expect that any of those books will be fine (if by "be fine" you mean retain their current values). We have been in a huge bull market during which everything that could possibly go right to boost demand for comics has gone right. But that's another conversation.

With respect to Suspense 3, we've now had another 10 years since this thread was started to ratify the opinion that a lot of collectors think it's a very cool book and are willing to shell out significant dollars even for ratty, low-grade copies.

Me thinks not

There is no good reason, given their current prices, to expect that any of those books will be fine (if by "be fine" you mean retain their current values). We have been in a huge bull market during which everything that could possibly go right to boost demand for comics has gone right. But that's another conversation.

With respect to Suspense 3, we've now had another 10 years since this thread was started to ratify the opinion that a lot of collectors think it's a very cool book and are willing to shell out significant dollars even for ratty, low-grade copies.

I can name several excellent reasons, even allowing for current prices, that comic books will continue to increase in price or at least retain their current value.

1. Supply on some of these comics are rare.

2. Demand via the Hollywood movie machine is increasing.

3. The Federal Reserve has a tool they call a printing press and they seemed determined to print gobs and gobs of money.

Me thinks not

I can name several excellent reasons, even allowing for current prices, that comic books will continue to increase in price or at least retain their current value.

3. The Federal Reserve has a tool they call a printing press and they seemed determined to print gobs and gobs of money.

See the many other threads where these points have been beaten to death with a stick. :D

Me thinks not

See the many other threads where these points have been beaten to death with a stick. :D

:)

I'm sure this has been added in the discussion and fits in with the movie business but there is a whole new generation of "super hero fans" being born with these movies.

Just look at the amount of kids/adults walking around in marvel / dc themed clothes.

I know for most its just "trendy" but for others they really do like the images and will pursue the story lines and look to collect these heroes in comic form.

That includes the twenty/thirty/fourty...etc, something year olds with money $$ to drive the supply and demand on these comics.

IMO comics have a very bright future and there is MUCH room to grow for a lot of these books.

Just my $0.02