• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet values for 9.4-9.8?

12 posts in this topic

When listing Overstreet values for 9.4-9.8 grades, is there a standard multiplier for raw books? Interested what other sellers list as Overstreet values when they throw up an auction of say a 9.6 book. I can't see listing the book's value at Overstreet's 9.2 price, as that would be shot changing the value of your book.

There are the rare books...and the hot books...and the supposedly 'rare' books that are actually common books...and...

Point is, there are many anomalies that a straight-forward 'formula' would not apply to. However, for your general, standard Silver/early Bronze, I give myself some sort of idea of 'guide' price by setting 9.6 at 9.2 x 2 and 9.4 at 9.2 + double the difference between 9.0 and 9.2.

When listing Overstreet values for 9.4-9.8 grades, is there a standard multiplier for raw books? Interested what other sellers list as Overstreet values when they throw up an auction of say a 9.6 book. I can't see listing the book's value at Overstreet's 9.2 price, as that would be shot changing the value of your book.

I wouldn't even bother looking at Oversteet for CGC graded book values. You are much better off checking something like GPA, which tracks sales data on each book in a given grade over time. That way you can work out the average price a book sells for.

I wouldn't even bother looking at Oversteet for CGC graded book values. You are much better off checking something like GPA, which tracks sales data on each book in a given grade over time. That way you can work out the average price a book sells for.

Is that an online resource? If so would you mind posting a link? I'm interested in checking it out.

Thanks

But those prices are for CGC books only, so you would have to come up with a way to determine raw prices.

Exactly. I understand the CGC multiplier & GPA info. What I was looking for was a formula to get a reasonable value on raw books that grade out from 9.4 & up. What got me wondering was, in the Comic Marketplace section, there was a set of raw bronze Ironman books graded from 9.0 to 9.6 with prices being 2 to 4x guide in places. No problem with that, I just hadn't really noticed that type pricing before. Didn't know if this was common pricing strategy or whether each dealer has a seperate method. I understand scarcer, hot cover & key issue will price higher, but just interested what is the common practice with regular silver & bronze books.

Exactly. I understand the CGC multiplier & GPA info. What I was looking for was a formula to get a reasonable value on raw books that grade out from 9.4 & up.

9.4, 9.6, 9.8 all CGC grades. Raw books don't exist in these grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

Here's how I do it, gents.

If I see a book on ebay, or an online dealer, I check past sales of that book in that grade on ebay, Heritage, etc... the true value of a 9.4 or 9.6 book is the last price someone paid for it.

If the book has no sales history, I chart the books two or three issues in either direction, and see if there's a consensus price. I then factor in first appearances, key artists, pedigree, etc.

But ultimately, deep in my heart, I sort of know what a book is worth, and at what point it is stupidly overpriced. I have no problem paying a decent premium on something wonderful in a pretty grade, but all this business about 2x guide and 4x guide is horsesh*t - it's like trying to quantify the value of how beautiful a woman (or man - hey whatever) is.

Shep