• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MYLAR?

36 posts in this topic

Guys,

I just bagged and boarded about 100 Bronze Age books that I had placed into those old Steranko comic book holders(books stacked on top of each other with out bags and boards and placed in - oh the horror!.. cardboard!). I have kept these holders in a cool basement for about 25 years and if these books had aged one iota I couldn't see it! White pages and gleaming cover colors. So I will go with the cool and dry part of the equation for preservation. conservo.

I have kept these holders in a cool basement for about 25 years and if these books had aged one iota I couldn't see it!

Probably the single greatest contribution to preserving condition is just that - keeping the books in a constant environment. In long term storage, fluctuations of heat and humidity really does a job on paper. Of course, a constant environment that is a 300 dgeree oven is not what am talking about! grin.gif But a consistent cool dark place without too much humidity is the best thing you can do outside of a museum environment.

Not trying to be contentious here James, but I think it was you that kept arguing against me when I was trying to keep some hope alive that it is possible to preserve comics. That thread was quite a while back though so my memory could be fuzzy.

If true, you should be pleased you changed my opinion. wink.gif

I vaguely remember saying they won't last forever, but that they'll last a lifetime, which is effectively forever from a selfish point of view. shocked.gif Anything besides that you'd have to refresh my memory on.

That sounds right. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. wink.gif I agree that they should last a lifetime with proper care (and most likely beyond).

And I'm sure a 'hazardous' free holder will come along some day to preserve the books that are left.

........does anyone out there know what the long-term effects of central heating and/or air conditioning are on comic books?

Coolness is preferable. Constancy is, in a non-insane environemnt, the most important factor when it comes to temperature and humidity. (By non-insane I mean a constant 300 degrees is just not good wink.gif ).

When talking temperature and humidity, fluctuation does the most damage. It sounds like you are living in a place that is centrally heated in the winter and central airconditioned in the summer? If so, seek the coolest dark place whose temp/humidity vary as little as possible over the year. If you have a basement that may be a good place, unless it is very damp (encouraging mold, which is a terrible fate for a book as it can spread to others). Just a few thoughts. If you have more detailed info on the environment in question folks may be able to come up with more specific thoughts.

"It sounds like you are living in a place that is centrally heated in the winter and central airconditioned in the summer?"

........its not so much that.........i actually have the option of storing some books in a cold environment with family (who live in england), but that is centraly heated in winter (well probably 8 months of the year) or of keeping them where they are in a relativly warm/ humid environment................

.....so i was actually wondering which would cause the least damage over a long period............the central heating or the air conditioning?

i actually have the option of storing some books in a cold environment with family (who live in england), but that is centraly heated in winter (well probably 8 months of the year) or of keeping them where they are in a relativly warm/ humid environment................

This is a toughie. Warm and humid are not a good combination. But it sounds like for 8 months out of the year in England they re in a heated environment, even if the outdoors are cold. You have to decide which of the two is going to offer the coolest environment with the less humidity. Is there any kind of place like a cellar available? Is there a less heated part of the home in England? A pantry or similar?

Also, if you store in a basement or similar place, be sure to keep the books off the floor and situated so insects and rodents won't get to them.

Feel free to offer more input - descriptions of possible storage areas etc.

.........storage options are for the family's house in england either a heated (most of the year) upstairs room, fairly dark..............or they could be stored in the attic, although i think it may be too cold up there, and maybe damp............... shocked.gif

..........my current home storage conditions are a dark upstairs room (live in third floor apartment), but it gets quite humid in the spring/ summer although i am trying to combat this with a dehimidifier...................

hey could be stored in the attic, although i think it may be too cold up there, and maybe damp

I don't think there is any thing "too cold" for books. In my opinion the colder the better.

But you said somethig very important: "maybe damp". Can you say what makes you think this? Overall, cold is paper's best friend. But what makes it "maybe damp".

If you have a month or two to experiment, I suggest you buy a couple of inexpesive hydrometers and measure the humidity in both locations you are considering. If the humidity is the cooler place is the same or lower, just go for it. If not, lemme know the numbers? Thanks!

.........i could try the experiment as you suggest, i will have to rely on family members to experiment in england though (i only get there once a year or so)..........the reason i suggest it might be damp is that i am not sure about the roof insulation, when you say that cold is papers friend how cold is cold?

.......i thought that cold air often contains moisture that is bad for books......correct me if i am wrong...............

........as for counteracting humidity in the books present invironment, what are the best ways of doing that?

........i have eliminated sunlight from the room, the books are stored off the floor on a shelving unit in the darkest corner........and i try to allow cool air to circulate through whenever possible................what else can i do?

.......i really appreciate your input on this one pov............. smile.gif

Obviously, environment is the most important factor. Given that it is less than ideal, though, it has been my experience that Mylar makes a huge difference. Although one submitter claims Mylar won't stop anything, it's more like it won't stop everything. It does do a good job of limiting air and moisture exchange (not preventing it).

The clearest evidence of this that I have is that, back in the early '80's I bought my first 300 1 mil mylar bags from Bill Cole. Of course, I bagged my most valuable books. However, the only "modern" (now bronze) books I put in mylar were my X-men. About 7 years later (I didn't live in the same area as my collection), I went back to put my entire collection in Mylar and had the opportunity to compare the X-books with other contemporary books that had spent the better part of 15 years in the same exact environment (even the same acid-free box). The Mylar'ed books were significantly whiter and sharper. No two ways about it. Better paper quality, better gloss, just perfect. My other ones were still NM, but just a notch below. If that can happen in 15 years in a somewhat constant environment, I can only imagine what could happen in 30 or 40 years in a less than ideal one.

Does anyone know the effect of using the Popeil vacuum sealer on a comic? Anyone admit to owning one of these?

Think about it:No Oxygen/external moisture, then store in a dark box upright? Would that preserve the book longer than mylar? Some talk of storing it in a freezer or cold shed?

Your point about a vacuum has a great deal of validity. A Ziplok bag is an excellent alternative for keeping out air and moisture. I have stored used paint brushes (no, I do not color touch books....) in Ziplok bags and for a period of years the bristles remain soft. The brushes would otherwise become hard with exposure to the air for several days.

It would appear that storing paper collectibles in cold and dark locations, using Mylar sleeves in conjunction with Ziplok bags, may offer the greatest benefits.

Ted