• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

This Super Bowl was a game of 2 halves. the first half Seattle dominated Pittsburgh. In the second half Pittsburgh did the dominating. Sure the refs made some bad calls, but there was also a lot of bad decisions made by Seattle that cost the game. Their management of the clock was horrible.

If you even pretend to be objective, you can't seriously think the game was called fairly.

How can a Steelers fan be objective? Me, I like the Chiefs and the Pats, so I'm just wanting to watch the Super Bowl, not the Toilet Bowl.

If you even pretend to be objective, you can't seriously think the game was called fairly.

How can a Steelers fan be objective? Me, I like the Chiefs and the Pats, so I'm just wanting to watch the Super Bowl, not the Toilet Bowl.

At least, I know, there is another Chiefs fan out there!!!! yay.gif

I didn't have a rooting interest and for me, the game was called okay. Surprised by the outrage. I can understand Seahawk fans whining, but for others, did you guys have money on the game or something?

No money wagered or interest in either of the two teams. But when I saw that Seattle pass completion to the three yard line called back from a phantom holding call I knew I was watching a poorly officiated game. Even Madden stated there was no hold on that play and didn't know what the officials were seeing!! Pivotal call in the game.

Sure the refs made some bad calls

But that's not the point, it's WHERE these bad calls were made, and HOW the affected the game. We're not talking a bogus holding or off. pass interference call that means nothing, but two that cost the team TDs.

That's why it looked fishy, as everytime the officials got a chance to really screw Seattle, they did.

The Chiefs have had one of the best offensives in the NFL for years but they can't get their defense together. It's a shame as I liked Vermeil. I think it's time for Priest Holmes to find a new team.

Sure the refs made some bad calls

There is a difference between making a bad call, and having three game-changing calls made against you.

The MVP for the Steelers were the officials in this game. Hines Ward has nothing on those guys.

Feel free to visit Seahawks.net and go to the message boards. We are being inundated with fans from other NFL teams who agree that the officiating was clearly biased against us.

That first touchdown called back against Seattle was messed up and that penalty called against Hasselbeck when he tackled the Pittsburgh player running back the interception was wrong! There were too many questionable holding penalties called! I was still happy that the Steelers won the game but let the players decide the game!

The Chiefs have had one of the best offensives in the NFL for years but they can't get their defense together. It's a shame as I liked Vermeil. I think it's time for Priest Holmes to find a new team.

OT-Sadly, you are correct. The problem with the Chiefs has been that the coach doesn't run the team. The owner and GM do. More the owner. It is time for Priest to go to a team with a chance or get the owner and GM to stop 893censored-thumb.gif with the team.

I didn't have a rooting interest and for me, the game was called okay. Surprised by the outrage. I can understand Seahawk fans whining, but for others, did you guys have money on the game or something? grin.gif

Not a cent!!!

Horrible officiating.

I thought the offensive pass interference call wasn't that bad. There's no doubt the receiver DID push off..now you might argue it wasn't that bad a push off, but if you look at the replays, you'll see the pushoff actually caused the defender to back up for a split second, which in turn allowed Jackson the opening to make the catch.

As far as the Roethlisberger sneak at the goal line, it could've gone either way. I didn't see evidence that he did NOT get into the endzone. It was realy close and could've gone either way. In this case, the ref called it a TD and there was no way a replay could provide conclusive evidence to overturn the call.

The only other questionable call I thought was the catch where the Seahawk receiver didn't get both feet in bounds. I thought it was possible the ball broke the plane of the endzone, but the bottom line is, the receiver should've done more to try and keep the feet in bounds.

The better team won today. The Steelers played better and made the plays when they needed them.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Edit: The below the block call on Hasselback was obviously an error, I'll give you that. But the rest are open for debate.

If the officials had not overturned that botched fumble call against Hasselbeck when he was touched and then hit the ground and fumbled, then I would say there was a definite conspiracy. At least they got that one corrected!! 27_laughing.gif

And we're all forgetting about that *fumble* that was thankfully reversed, when the Seattle QB was clearly knocked to the ground, but the refs still wanted to give the Steelers the ball.

Just like that Olympic skating conspiracy, there should be an investigation on these officials and the NFL in general.

I thought the offensive pass interference call wasn't that bad. There's no doubt the receiver DID push off..now you might argue it wasn't that bad a push off, but if you look at the replays, you'll see the pushoff actually caused the defender to back up for a split second, which in turn allowed Jackson the opening to make the catch.

As far as the Roethlisberger sneak at the goal line, it could've gone either way. I didn't see evidence that he did NOT get into the endzone. It was realy close and could've gone either way. In this case, the ref called it a TD and there was no way a replay could provide conclusive evidence to overturn the call.

The only other questionable call I thought was the catch where the Seahawk receiver didn't get both feet in bounds. I thought it was possible the ball broke the plane of the endzone, but the bottom line is, the receiver should've done more to try and keep the feet in bounds.

The better team won today. The Steelers played better and made the plays when they needed them.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Edit: The below the block call on Hasselback was obviously an error, I'll give you that. But the rest are open for debate.

The push off would NOT be called in 98% of games. A push off like that in the end zone would not be called 99.8% of the time in a normal game. In the Super Bowl, the refs should let the players play.

If the officials had not overturned that botched fumble call against Hasselbeck when he was touched and then hit the ground and fumbled, then I would say there was a definite conspiracy. At least they got that one corrected!! 27_laughing.gif

But the on-field officals called it a fumble and were trying their hardest to give the Steelers the ball. Seattle had use their challenge to try and get it right, and after Madden and Co. made it clear the officials were scamming again, they basically had to reverse it.

I don't understand how you see a bogus fumble call being a "good point" to the on-field officiating is beyond me.

Yep, the NFL sure wanted the Steelers to win! There's a league wide conspiracy! 27_laughing.gif

Funny, that kind of "oh no, it's a conspircay theory" comment was also prevalent after the Russians scammed their way to Gold at the Winter Olympics, and we all know there was a real conspiracy at work there.

I suppose you're one of those people who believe the Russians and French were totally above-board and the victims of eveil Canadians, right? 27_laughing.gif

Yep, the NFL sure wanted the Steelers to win! There's a league wide conspiracy! 27_laughing.gif

I'm not sure why that's such a far off idea. It's certainly not a unique one. When unbiased coaches (as in coaches that have no interest in a specific badly officiated game) say that the refs seem to be calling in favor of one team over the other...something has to be up. Maybe it's not the NFL's doing but for some reason refs definitely side with a team at times.

Wow, I am a fan of neither team, but it's pretty obvious someone wants the Steelers to win. Terrible call after terrible call against the Seahawks - it's becoming embarassing to watch this game.

Sorry, I had to vent!

These things even out over the course of the year. Let's not forget, the Steelers were on the wrong side of a bad call in Indy, but they still came out on top. 8 wins in a row & 4 in a row on the road in the playoffs. Bottom line: the best team won. 'Nuff Said.