• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 20 COVERS OF THE COPPER AGE!

394 posts in this topic

Great covers Beyonder - let's keep 'em coming folks! headbang.gif

1CAP251.jpg

Love that Byrne run on Cap, it was cut way too short. Every time I see that cover I think it's a Solomn Grundy appearance & then it clicks in my head-wrong company.

As far as the question about the cost of the Dredd's, they are very affordable. First issue can be found on ebay for $4-$5, rest are cheaper. Bolland art was in different chapters throughout the 1st ten issues, I think he did the 1st ten covers also. There was a second Dredd series in 1986 that had early Steve Dillon art, it was very crude compared to his Preacher work.

I agree you could put up just about any Bolland cover, these were 3 I had scanned already, but they all are excellent. I wonder if covers by Bolland & Hughes will someday go for a premium like the Adams & Wrightson work from the Silver/Bronze age. They really do sell the book.

I wonder if covers by Bolland & Hughes will someday go for a premium like the Adams & Wrightson work from the Silver/Bronze age. They really do sell the book.

Bolland already commands a hefty premium. Especially since he has been limited to covers for many years now (that I'm aware of).

Killing Joke pages are very expensive (Hari can attest to that). One thing about Bolland, though, is they're worth it. Highly sought after by collectors.

I'm not an expert on the art market, but I would guess that high demand Bolland works would equal Wrightson. In some cases, be on the level with Adams.

I wonder if covers by Bolland & Hughes will someday go for a premium like the Adams & Wrightson work from the Silver/Bronze age. They really do sell the book.

Bolland already commands a hefty premium. Especially since he has been limited to covers for many years now (that I'm aware of).

Killing Joke pages are very expensive (Hari can attest to that). One thing about Bolland, though, is they're worth it. Highly sought after by collectors.

I'm not an expert on the art market, but I would guess that high demand Bolland works would equal Wrightson. In some cases, be on the level with Adams.

Bolland interior pages to Killing Joke are more expensive than Adams X-Men or Batman pages, and more expensive than Wrightson Swamp Thing pages. They are perhaps the most highly sought-after interior pages of any era, commanding higher prices than Ditko Spidey pages (in general). Only key interiors (origin pages of major villains or heros) can top a Killing Joke page in price. The last known page from Killing Joke to trade hands did so at around 23K (half cash, half trade). And, the trade component was key Byrne art from the 70s.

If you're talking covers, then Adams and Wrightson covers to their major works are more expensive than Bolland covers. Adams X-Men or Batman covers would fetch 15-50K. Wrightson Swamp Thing covers 25-50K. Wrightson Frankenstein Plates 20-100K. In contrast, Bolland Flash or Wonder Woman covers are much less, in the 5-12K range. Animal Man covers 2-6K. The cover to Killing Joke? Who knows, but definitely over 50K.

Very interesting info on the Bolland pages. Truthfully, what I was talking about is whether or not the comic books with Bolland or Hughes covers would sell for a premium in the future, much like comic books with Adams & Wrightson covers have collectors that collect runs just for their cover art.

Very interesting info on the Bolland pages. Truthfully, what I was talking about is whether or not the comic books with Bolland or Hughes covers would sell for a premium in the future, much like comic books with Adams & Wrightson covers have collectors that collect runs just for their cover art.

My guess would be, unless something important happens in the issue, not much more than their counterparts.

Everyone was bagging and boarding by this time. It's a shame, as the Bolland covers should command more money. But, the fact is, they are just too common. You can find 9.4+ copies easily.

Also, take a look at the The Killing Joke. Certainly an important book. I remember when it was selling for $25 for a first print. It's been reprinted so many times that you can pick it up for $8 max. That's despite the Bolland artwork. frown.gif

Right. Sorry, I forgot I was in the Copper Forum (not OA, where I usually post smile.gif My fault. I don't think the whole "classic cover" thing works for the modern age. The books are just too commonplace.

"classic cover" thing works for the modern age. The books are just too commonplace.

A Classic cover is a classic cover in any age. sumo.gif

The cover may still be "classic", but it usually doesn't affect the price anymore, like the OS "classic covers" seemed to.