• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 20 COVERS OF THE COPPER AGE!

394 posts in this topic

"classic cover" thing works for the modern age. The books are just too commonplace.

A Classic cover is a classic cover in any age. sumo.gif

The cover may still be "classic", but it usually doesn't affect the price anymore, like the OS "classic covers" seemed to.

Maybe not for the comics themselves.....but surely for the OA to some of these covers. wink.gif

For example...

1DECADEIM128.jpg

Very interesting info on the Bolland pages. Truthfully, what I was talking about is whether or not the comic books with Bolland or Hughes covers would sell for a premium in the future, much like comic books with Adams & Wrightson covers have collectors that collect runs just for their cover art.

Right. Sorry, I forgot I was in the Copper Forum (not OA, where I usually post smile.gif My fault. I don't think the whole "classic cover" thing works for the modern age. The books are just too commonplace.

No problem, I do enjoy original art also & found it interesting that a Bolland page from Killing Joke would actually go for 2 to 3 times the price of his covers for WW or Animal Man. I love the book, just didn't realize the insane prices a page would run. I use to buy original art from CBG back in the early 1980's when I was in high school, mostly [embarrassing lack of self control] at the time. The guy used to always run full page ads, had a monkey or something in his logo. Had quite a bit of the S.Buscema/Janson Defenders, J. Buscema SSoConan, Buckler FF type stuff at one time. Wish I had kept it as it has a following now. Got back into it for a short time in the late 1990's but by then prices were rising on a daily bases & with a kid in college it was just too much.

As far as the "Classic Covers" thing, I believe that over time the covers will be more desirable & will command a larger price. Whether that price be $3 instead of $1 remains to be seen. The Bolland Wonder Woman #72 has already broken out, i've seen it fetch as much as $20 on ebay, & really have not payed much attention. Back in the mid 1980's I wouldn't buy a back issue unless it was a 12 center, considered the 15 cent books common & they would never hold their value. Mid 1990's I was then looking for the 15 & 20 cent books also. I certainly think it is possible that down the line "Copper" books will have some type of following.

Very interesting info on the Bolland pages. Truthfully, what I was talking about is whether or not the comic books with Bolland or Hughes covers would sell for a premium in the future, much like comic books with Adams & Wrightson covers have collectors that collect runs just for their cover art.

Right. Sorry, I forgot I was in the Copper Forum (not OA, where I usually post smile.gif My fault. I don't think the whole "classic cover" thing works for the modern age. The books are just too commonplace.

No problem, I do enjoy original art also & found it interesting that a Bolland page from Killing Joke would actually go for 2 to 3 times the price of his covers for WW or Animal Man. I love the book, just didn't realize the insane prices a page would run. I use to buy original art from CBG back in the early 1980's when I was in high school, mostly [embarrassing lack of self control] at the time. The guy used to always run full page ads, had a monkey or something in his logo. Had quite a bit of the S.Buscema/Janson Defenders, J. Buscema SSoConan, Buckler FF type stuff at one time. Wish I had kept it as it has a following now. Got back into it for a short time in the late 1990's but by then prices were rising on a daily bases & with a kid in college it was just too much.

As far as the "Classic Covers" thing, I believe that over time the covers will be more desirable & will command a larger price. Whether that price be $3 instead of $1 remains to be seen. The Bolland Wonder Woman #72 has already broken out, i've seen it fetch as much as $20 on ebay, & really have not payed much attention. Back in the mid 1980's I wouldn't buy a back issue unless it was a 12 center, considered the 15 cent books common & they would never hold their value. Mid 1990's I was then looking for the 15 & 20 cent books also. I certainly think it is possible that down the line "Copper" books will have some type of following.

You may be right. I guess time shall tell!

Thanks for posting the huge scan of the Moon Knight #24 - I think it might be my favorite cover of the coper age - it's beautiful! cloud9.gif

That whole run has awesome covers. Its always a toss up between the Werewolf Cover- which was already posted, the 24 - which I happened to have lying around and the 31 or 37 can't remember right now, with Moon Knight in the desert being attacked by a brigand. cloud9.gif

What strikes me about all of these covers is how much the best copper age covers completely blow away the best bronze age covers. I guess that's to be expected, but I never really realized the disparity in overall wow value until I saw the best of bronze stacked up next to the best of copper.

Funny thing about copper is that I don't think that modern covers (post copper) can compete with the best copper covers either. There might be a few exceptions, but I can't think of many.