• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advise on best place to sell a scarce comic

42 posts in this topic

I recently sent in a Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and was dissapointed to receive a 6.5 grade from CGC. Could someone share with me the best venue/auction for selling the second highest graded copy(one 7.0 in the census)

Thank you

ebay:greattoning

email: sgfx75a@aol.com

Damn coinees.

I recently sent in a Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and was dissapointed to receive a 6.5 grade from CGC. Could someone share with me the best venue/auction for selling the second highest graded copy(one 7.0 in the census)

Thank you

ebay:greattoning

email: sgfx75a@aol.com

I am assuming your are referring to issue number 1? Would love to see a scan, I have a mid grade copy as well, though not as nice as a 6.5

I would probably list it on Comiclink or a Heritage signature auction. The problem as I see it is that while that issue is impossible in nice shape, it also has little sales data giving any indication of it's true value. A small smattering of 5.0's and below are listed on GPAnalysis, but not alot of recent sales at that.

While a 7.0 is the highest graded, there was a VF/NM copy sold (if I remember right) by Pacific Coast in the late 90's for $7500...I think. I did see it at a San Diego Comic Con.

I have no idea what you hope to sell yours for, I would like to see what it goes for myself. (I have a complete run of Jimmy Olsen).

Between Comiclink and Heritage I would go for Comiclink or one of it's auction formats. I don't have good vibes about Heritage, but it's hard to deny that they can get serious dollars for some books. Also, with Heritage you have to consign a minimum of $5000 for a signature auction.

Please post a scan flowerred.gif

jo1.jpg

I would probably list it on Comiclink

this is how i would do it were i you.

nice book btw. congratulations

Ditto. List it for $4000 and see what happens.

$4000 if you list it non auction format, but if it was an auction I would set the reserve lower. Anything is possible when it is an uncommon book in nice shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold more in the $2500 range.

$4000 if you list it non auction format, but if it was an auction I would set the reserve lower. Anything is possible when it is an uncommon book in nice shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold more in the $2500 range.

I agree with you that $2500 is probably where it would sell in an auction format based on what other lower grade books sell for ($655 for a VG 4.0 last month) and because an auction format usually doesn't yield the highest price (it yields a price that is one notch above the amount the underbidder is willing to bid), but since we're talking about one of the nicest copies of a tough book, I thought that a non-auction listing of $4000 on ComicLink would give him enough of a shot at a nice upside if there is someone who just has to have it.

oh, and don't forget to spam the living S**T out of that book here on the boards once you make a decision.

it's the way of the forum, i think

thumbsup2.gif

I agree with you that $2500 is probably where it would sell in an auction format based on what other lower grade books sell for ($655 for a VG 4.0 last month) and because an auction format usually doesn't yield the highest price (it yields a price that is one notch above the amount the underbidder is willing to bid), but since we're talking about one of the nicest copies of a tough book, I thought that a non-auction listing of $4000 on ComicLink would give him enough of a shot at a nice upside if there is someone who just has to have it.

I agree with you, Comiclink with a 4k price, non auction would be his best bet thumbsup2.gif