• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Read Novels Based on Comics

8 posts in this topic

Im not talking about gRaphic Novels but novels written by authors sold in book stores.

The 1st two Daredevil Novels were great

ddpred_small.gifddcuttingedge.gif

and the first X-men Trilogy was not bad.

The spiderman crossovers were so so.

Elliot (S!) Maggin wrote a couple of very fine Superman paperback originals released around the time of the first Superman movie. Believe the titles were Superman, Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday . There were a couple of crossover characters from Maggin's comics scripts of the day, and contain the very best pre-Crisis characterization of Lex Luthor. Check 'em out on eBay.

Z.

I bought the two Hellboy novels...

The Lost Army (the first one) wasn't all that good...too linear. You always knew where the story was going, no surprises, no added value over the comic...

I'm currently reading the second novel (Odd Jobs) which has 10 authors writing short stories. I'm up to #5 and they have all been very good, I can recommend the second novel, but not the first...not at all.

Elliot (S!) Maggin wrote a couple of very fine Superman paperback originals released around the time of the first Superman movie...

Superman, Last Son of Krypton

I remember this one...it was really good...but sort-of written to a pre-teen/teen audience.

Marvel did some of these in the 60s. The only one I ever read was "The Avengers Battle the Earth Wrecker" by Otto Binder. It wasn't bad (Binder wrote for comics and pulps most of his life). Two items of interest:

1. The villain of the book was time-travelling Kang the Conqueror, but for some reason he's renamed "Karzz."

2. The pre-Alex Ross painted cover looks great. It features Quicksilver, Wanda, Goliath, Wasp and Captain America.